Drum Corps Repertoires 1980 vs. 2010

Since this is an activity of music and movement, IMO both should always think of each other.

yes. but i dont think visual thinks of music like music has to think about visual anymore

I guess also, copyright issues weren't as much of an issue 30 years ago as they are today, so the range of music genre was a lot greater then from a financial standpoint than now.

yes. but i dont think visual thinks of music like music has to think about visual anymore

imo.. I think visual people of today think about the music much more than of the past. I'ts all about how the music will be presented visually. I remember the days when you

" marched " around to a beautiful Ballad " High leg lift " or formed squards all over the place to a classical piece.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not much thought there..lol.....OOOOO THE OLD DAYS....LOL....AGAIN jmo :smile:

What we DO know: Defining genres is a #####...

• Like 1

I think it's ironic that there were 7 selections in BD's 1980 show and only 3 listed in 2010's. I was sure that there would be 20-30 different pieces scattered through 2010 show in in 15-20 second pulses.

If nothing else, it proves that things have not really changed completely from "back in the day". Corps identities that existed in 1980 are alive and well for those that still exist in 2010. People say that shows today are too choppy. Well, they probably were back then too. That's life in the big city.

• Like 1

People say that shows today are too choppy. Well, they probably were back then too. That's life in the big city.

I beg your pardon! I live in Chicago, and my life is most definitely NOT choppy!

The point is not "good arrangements" VERSUS "variety of genre".

We need "good arrangements" AND "variety of genre".

Arrange things as good as can be, but if all corps do classical/symphonic

(which is nearly the case now) you're still going to have a 2-3 hour show

that is monolithic and lacking in range of expression.

I noticed this at DCI Open Class Finals as well. Corps after corps playing the same

symphonic style, then Music City comes out and jolts the crowd playing music

that actually swings. Sure woke me up.

Edited by BDUFLS

People say that shows today are too choppy. Well, they probably were back then too.

I'm not so sure. Drum corps shows were a few minutes longer back then, and corps present much more cogent musical ideas from each of those tunes - it's generally quite different now.

People say that shows today are too choppy. Well, they probably were back then too. That's life in the big city.

Check a few 1980s shows out and see if you still think this. Corps played entire tunes back then with a exceptoins that would be called sampling today.

Check a few 1980s shows out and see if you still think this. Corps played entire tunes back then with a exceptoins that would be called sampling today.

I'm just sayin that in the case of BD alone, the list of tunes was longer in 1980 than in 2010. I was surprised because 1980 feels way more consitant than 2010 felt. If anything I think the lists are not really a good represtation of the shows. There are a bunch of snippets that were so short they never made it onto to any such list.

Obviously things are very differnt now in terms of scoring (musical scoring I mean).

My real point is that today is not a complete break from how they did things 30 years ago. Its just more broken up then it used to be. It was still broken up back then. There's no way they played "all" of each of those 7 pieces in 1980.