Easy Cure for Entertainment, Maybe?

glory

I dont think its stupid, i just dont want it to happen. My old brass caption head use to say it doesnt count if its not on the move lol. i wouldnt go that far, but it seems to me that if thats what you want watch some mini corps. drum corps is a MARCHING art. Plus if you had a field show and then an encore standstill competition corps wont get to leave the show sight till 3am, they need there floor time! :tongue:

• Like 1

Fans would get a major dose of music and likely more complete songs/phrasing.

...it's hard to appreciate listening to a production packed primarily with building dissonant phrases, power chords, and poly-rhythmic percussive fills and impacts. If you were there live during the performance, or were familiar with what was happening visually, it helps you...

Thanks to nemesis, I have a succinct description of what I don't really like about many recent top-judged drum corps shows (even being there). And yes! More complete phrasing, even though there's not enough time for complete songs...

Thanks to nemesis, I have a succinct description of what I don't really like about many recent top-judged drum corps shows (even being there). And yes! More complete phrasing, even though there's not enough time for complete songs...

not directly related to you but in general.... I feel like when we point out aspects of shows designs that we don't like, we are always speaking in "general" terms. There are never any specific shows, or segments of shows mentioned that provide "evidence" for some of the claims we make. I'm not denying that the concerns are legitimate but it would help put this in perspective and provide a better analysis of the issues if people gave specific instances.

What I'm guessing is that people have issue with maybe a couple corps in terms of their musical design (every year). And to me because its only directed at a small number of corps every year that they are essentially making a bigger deal about it then it actually is. Because for every corps that people say had a chopped up arrangement of this or that, I can name another corps that doesn't have a chopped up arrangement.

People focus on what they don't like and refuse to make distinctions and examples of those things they DO like. Making a bigger deal about the things you do like not only makes it clearer on what is appreciated and "liked" by the DCI audiences, but it removes the guessing game revolved around people saying things they "don't like".

**The way people talk about the things they don't like in DCI shows in general makes you wonder if they even like anything about drum corps, and that's the issue.

Edited by charlie1223

Right.....

I think it's absolutely hilarious that many of the strongest objectors to the TOC are now inline supporting the virtually the same format but because they proposed it, it's suddenly A-OK !

Too freakin' funny!

well, I have previously stated that if this idea for a tour within a tour was released without all the powerpoint / power grab stuff, I would be ok with it. My problem is that the TOC is not the desired end result, but a step in a process to make the DCI tour only have 8 drum corps.

• Like 3

well, I have previously stated that if this idea for a tour within a tour was released without all the powerpoint / power grab stuff, I would be ok with it. My problem is that the TOC is not the desired end result, but a step in a process to make the DCI tour only have 8 drum corps.

+1 soccerguy

• Like 1

Nah; I would think that if a show design took 'time out' of visual to do a concert tune, there would be a feeling that they would have to 'make-up' for it by writing more crazy drill in other places. Essentially they'd be doing the same demanding drill, just in a different way. I guess think of it musically: if a corps ends on a quiet note, their last big push has to be HUGE to make up for the fact that they end quiet. They're still giving fans crazy loud volume at the last push, it's just displaced by a phrase.

maybe. But I think louder, higher faster, which has really just come down to faster and faster yet has hurt the musical side of the activity.

I feel that those injuries are inherent to the activity now and the kids joining know the risks if they don't follow proper technique and procedure before executing a drill.

I think no amount of stretching can stop some of them. i think we've gone too far over to the need for speed side of things, and it hurts the musical side as well

I only read through 2+ pages so forgive me if this was mentioned earlier...but I wanted to reply to those who suggested that the 2:00 standstill musical piece should be more of an encore.

I'm not sure how this is any more constraining that letting the designers decide where they would like to place the standstill piece within their allotted time?

Some (maybe many) might decide that it's best suited at the end of the program. But I believe that if the requirement to be stationary -- with the exception of guard -- were put in place, designers would come up with some very creative uses of the time. As part of a design team, I can confirm that MANY charts that would be enjoyable, entertaining, and educational just cannot be performed on the move for a variety of reasons.

I really like the idea for the performers AND the fans! Designers can deal with whatever constraints they're given.

Tell every corps to designate a couple of minutes as "concert" where the visual won't be judged and who knows what treats we'll get. In fact, such a rule wouldn't preclude the corps from moving during those concert minutes. It just wouldn't be judged for visuals.

HH

Preshows are not supposed to be judged either but I'm sure they are designed create an impression in the minds of the judges who have not yet officially started the judging process. Otherwise, why do them? Corps at the highest end of the activity are not doing a 1:00-2:00 preshow for the fans. If it were not to enhance their possibility of moving up the food chain, they would not waste the limited educational opportunities they now have.