Easy Cure for Entertainment, Maybe?

glory

I don't "really" like it when two corps shows are similar to each other in genre, composition, design or mood...

What I don't want is that in order for DCI to "deal" with the issue they start mandating certain things to be in shows...

"We did a poll that says Jazz is in this year... You are all required to do atleast 3 minutes of jazz chart this summer... oh and you must also stand still for 2 minutes in another portion of your show... AND you drum solo can be no longer than 1:45 seconds because anything longer than that the average fan gets antsy... Have fun designing with this years regulations!!!"

This would be a nightmare for me.

No kidding, I'm right with you there. I've not heard anyone suggest anything close to what you've given as an example here.

I think it would be quite easy to determine when a corps is making a reasonable attempt at a "concert-emphasis" component. It's not like in the past anyone ever had to announce to the crowd, "Okay everyone, we're going to do our concert piece now, so we won't be moving as much for the next couple of minutes." It's certainly measurable as a feature element within a production, even without getting a stopwatch out.

I offered my "extreme" example before because a few of your recent posts have came off as a bit extreme to me. I assume you're just playing the devil's advocate (no pun intended). People are simply saying that they want more balance of musical production in shows. Corps have always known how to do that very well, inside or outside of a competition. Just because some people want to see it as a part of the field package, there's no need to suggest that this is some kind of activity changing or activity limiting proposal.

This is a flawed argument because Synths, while not to everyone's taste, does not completely change the activity. A band that moves around on a field is a marching band. A band that stands still and plays a concert is a marching band. While a marching band/corps, with or without synths, is still a marching ensemble.

As for the second statement, no...no it isn't. It's honest. The music on the field may not be to some people's taste, but it doesn't make it not music. An apple with it's skin removed is still an apple. It may not be to your taste, but it's still an apple. And arguing that it isn't makes that particular "opinion" absolutely asinine.

Now see, that was a well-stated position backed up by rationale. Although I may, or may not agree with you, it was a lot more enjoyable to read the hows and whys of what you think instead of just the conclusion of your position.

You could have simply said "Drum corps is marching band."

Thanks for not doing so.

There are many required elements in a drum corps show. Fewer now than "back in the day" but still requirements nonetheless. And there are other requirements that are not in the rules. It is essentially required for a corps to amplify its front ensemble in they choose to compete for a Finals night position. It's not in the "rule book," but you would not be taken seriously if you didn't.

True.

Legend Of A One-Eyed Sailor....to play it at a tempo that made any visual sense would destroy it, IMO. But it was awesome in it's day and to be redone in a modern arrangement would be incredible....moving or not.

I don't know about that. There's no reason why a corps couldn't march double-time, or three steps to every two beats.

and 90% of those DCP'ers over 55 agree with you.

Me, meh. I hate ballads. I like the show which begin with velocity and then keep it up for 11 min. But, to each his own...oh, and I'm sure a certain youth on here will agree with you about the chance for park and bark.

I myself think this is a great idea it will give the corp a break & then they can aw you out of your seats

I had too many multiquotes stacked up, I guess, and lost them all. So let's distill down the venom.

If you want me to name a specific show that looked good and sounded awful, let's start with last year's champions. Did they play in the same key for more than five seconds at a time? If so, how could you tell?

Did they play any of Kenton's pieces for long enough for anyone to know what they were without a cheat sheet? (Assuming they were on any of the Kenton records I have...)

And a question I asked in another thread but never saw an answer to -- Would the dazzling visuals (and they were jaw-dropping dazzling) have been ruined if the music had been more accessible to Joe Engineering Major in the stands? I think not, but the music majors would have objected to letting the great unwashed hordes in on the artistry.

By the time they finished with Kenton, it sounded like free jazz. I go back to nemesis' comment that to me summarizes what I don't like about a lot of the recent shows, and more in 2010 than 2009. They are chopped up. Somebody said music without movement is concert band. OK; movement without music is drill team, and if the music sounds like it's written in the key of flip-a-coin-every-10-seconds, it's still drill team but with a faulty PA system.

Hee! That should whip up the true believers! :thumbup:

• Like 1

And there's the problem, they're not doing it now, by their own assessment. So now they have a new "Artistic Director" to "help" them achieve what appears to be obvious from some people's perspective. Naturally, not everyone will agree, but it seems serious enough to have dominated the discussions in Indy last month. Be careful, sand is quite difficult to remove from the inner ear.

well stated

So your response is "nuh uuuuuh!" Talk about content. lol

I've given oodles of content on here. In this thread alone. I'm not for mandating concert either. See if you read what I typed in this thread, you'd see that

I've given oodles of content on here. In this thread alone. I'm not for mandating concert either. See if you read what I typed in this thread, you'd see that

What are you for? If not concert, what specific changes would you like to see implemented to improve the programs?

Jeff? Anyone?

HH

Just pointing out BS when I see it. Not that it was particularly difficult this round.