TOC Aug 7 moved again?

My money's on Clifton. Hop's had this happen to him the last 4 or 5 years if I recall.

I realize Clifton is all about reaching back to their roots but quite frankly it's not good enough to host a DCI event (of any size) never mind a TOC event. If we can't have Annapolis , what about Towson? Been there for BOA shows and it's a good site both logistically and spectatoristically :-)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I realize Clifton is all about reaching back to their roots but quite frankly it's not good enough to host a DCI event (of any size) never mind a TOC event. If we can't have Annapolis , what about Towson? Been there for BOA shows and it's a good site both logistically and spectatoristically :-)

Clifton... its "alright" for small shows but too small for TOC, plus that field is grass! I hope its not there! Like you said, there are plenty of better alternatives!

is the clifton show the one thats basically in a park? if its the show site i'm thinking of, it was terrible. the field was not in good condition and the stands were tiny.

at least there were a few gas stations and other small convenient stores near by :w00t::cool:

Clifton Stadium is located on the west-bound side of Rte 46. It is actually located at what is now the middle school. Very old cement stands...natural dirt..er...grass field. Almost no parking, and not a lot of warmup room.

Sounds perfect to me! :tongue:

I've been going there since 1971 starting with the Herald News Band Festival.

Clifton Stadium is located on the west-bound side of Rte 46. It is actually located at what is now the middle school. Very old cement stands...natural dirt..er...grass field. Almost no parking, and not a lot of warmup room.

Sounds perfect to me! :tongue:

I've been going there since 1971 starting with the Herald News Band Festival.

yea, i remember that place, we went on after an intermission, maybe, so we were forced to stand just inside the fencing where the grass was just as bad...um, nice as the field.

i remember we got turned around driving to the place then warmed up in some park that seemed like one of the sketchier places we warmed up in all summer. got to watch the "new", for the time, crown ending. oh well it was a fun time

The traffic around the DC and Baltimore beltways are becoming increasingly like that of L.A. Not that it would present a serious problem, as corps would just have to allow an additional hour or two to get to the competition, but I know that Maryland school districts are all becoming increasingly less likely to host drum corps. I grew up right in between Washington and Baltimore, and there has only been one corps within the past ten years that has housed anywhere near that convenient part of the state. Not sure what it is like in the very southern portion, but anything within an hour of college park of Annapolis is going to involve a whole lot of driving.

The traffic around the DC and Baltimore beltways are becoming increasingly like that of L.A. Not that it would present a serious problem, as corps would just have to allow an additional hour or two to get to the competition, but I know that Maryland school districts are all becoming increasingly less likely to host drum corps. I grew up right in between Washington and Baltimore, and there has only been one corps within the past ten years that has housed anywhere near that convenient part of the state.

The Baltimore traffic is still nowhere close to as bad as that in the DC area.

Actually, nowhere except Los Angeles is nearly as bad. :tongue: I am very happy I no longer have to make that daily Baltimore-to-Northern Virginia commute.

College Park in the DC suburbs would be tough, as a result. Towson much better, as far as traffic is concerned. Plus the Towson stadium is about 10-15 minutes from my house. So... MUCH better, IMO. :thumbup:

You're right about the housing thing, though. Not easy in this neck of the woods.

Edited by Fran Haring

The Baltimore traffic is still nowhere close to as bad as that in the DC area.

Actually, nowhere except Los Angeles is nearly as bad. :tongue: I am very happy I no longer have to make that daily Baltimore-to-Northern Virginia commute.

College Park in the DC suburbs would be tough, as a result. Towson much better, as far as traffic is concerned. Plus the Towson stadium is about 10-15 minutes from my house. So... MUCH better, IMO. :thumbup:

You're right about the housing thing, though. Not easy in this neck of the woods.

Very true. The Capital beltway from 3:00-9:00 might as well be referred to as suicide. I've definitely made that Baltimore to Northern Virginia commute many times as well. As far as Towson goes - I completely agree. Decent sized stadium to be able to hold larger crowds for the TOC event, nice surface to march on, lots of parking, lots of warmup space, and very close to Baltimore if you are looking to stay for a few days.

Very true. The Capital beltway from 3:00-9:00 might as well be referred to as suicide. I've definitely made that Baltimore to Northern Virginia commute many times as well. As far as Towson goes - I completely agree. Decent sized stadium to be able to hold larger crowds for the TOC event, nice surface to march on, lots of parking, lots of warmup space, and very close to Baltimore if you are looking to stay for a few days.

Off-topic here, but one of these days it would be cool to get a gathering together for any drum corps folks in the Baltimore-DC area. Current marching members in DCI and DCA..... alums of various corps.... and fans. Might be a nice night out!

Edited by Fran Haring

What about the stadium on the Montclair University campus in northern NJ?

I remember several large shows being held there in the late 1980s-early 1990s.

I have no idea what the stadium is like right now, though.