Who did it better?

75 members have voted

1. 1. Concerto for Orchestra, Phantom or SCV?

• Phantom Regiment 2001
    • Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

I watched both shows last night. Both used the piece in different ways. Which use did YOU like better. Did you like it at all? I mean, I know not everyone likes Bartok. Why do you like one over the other. Which arrangement was better?

Debate and discuss!

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Between those two? Vanguard. Phantom used Mvt. V and II, Vanguard used bits from every movement. Much of their opener comes from Mvt. III

Vanguard's show this past summer has taken a while to grow on me, but I like it more now than I did last August.

I LOVED SCV first time I saw it this summer. I still really like it. I chose Phantom in this poll. I really enjoyed how phantom performed... I also think that show as a whole is somewhat underrated... however, at finals the crowd response was quite favorable.. yes the ending was awesome and a different piece altogether, but even the Bartok was received very well.

It does seem that SCV is growing on A LOT of people since finals... I know during the season many were not so thrilled for the show. It is interesting to see the switch in opinion after some digesting. Same is happening with BD from last year.. but that is a discussion for another time.

Between those two? Vanguard. Phantom used Mvt. V and II, Vanguard used bits from every movement. Much of their opener comes from Mvt. III

Vanguard's show this past summer has taken a while to grow on me, but I like it more now than I did last August.

I have to agree. I didn't really enjoy the piece in either of the corps shows. After a couple more viewings (on the DVD) The 2010 SCV show has really grown on me.

I’d have to say SCV did it better because they devoted their entire show to the piece thusly, more fully developed it. It was their show. But I’d liked Regiments version better because it was only part of their show, shorter and I don’t like the piece. Regiment had a better hornline and played their bits better but it was just part of the show and I was rewarded with Festive O after having to sit through Bartok

I didn’t like SCV show live and I still don’t. I keep trying to force myself to watch it on DVD (how wrong is that) and I can rarely make it through. Just this weekend in fact, I started it up then found myself in the kitchen making it back in time for Blue Stars. So I started it over and well, my cat needed some attention right then and it played through on the TV and I was in the chair in front of it but kitty was so cute – I did mange cat and to watch Blue Stars however

anyone rember this guy...

p02224tf6q8.jpg

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

I’d have to say SCV did it better because they devoted their entire show to the piece

No, SCV wove "Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste" into the show, too.

Regiment had a better hornline and played their bits better

No.

No.

I would have to agree with cowtown about the horn lines. Phantoms book was much harder technically... both were pretty hard, but phantom was doing some ridiculous exposed techical things...

that never ending run with the trumpet and mello sections??? ####. I think regiment was still on G's.. not that it matters much though.

• Like 1

I would have to agree with cowtown about the horn lines. Phantoms book was much harder technically... both were pretty hard, but phantom was doing some ridiculous exposed techical things...

that never ending run with the trumpet and mello sections??? ####. I think regiment was still on G's.. not that it matters much though.

Weren't they standing still though? SCV had tons of difficult and exposed passages while on the move. I thought SCV also executed their brass book in a more nuanced and musical way.

• Like 1