College Bands Louder? What?!?!

Listen to Cavaliers 2002 (Bb/F), then Phantom Regiment 2002 (G), on the same finals CD.

Then realize that DCI had to actually lower the volume on the Phantom Recording because they were too loud.

Hrothgar15: You cannot throw out that claim and be considered credible without official proof. So, please provide official confirmation from a DCI source like Tom Blair, the DCI recording engineer, concerning your claim that DCI purposely lowered the CD recorded level of Regiment in 2002 due to Regiment using G and Cavaliers using Bb/F.

Edited by Stu

Well, I went to OSU and the band could be very loud, when we wanted to be. I also aged out of '86 Santa Clara and we very very loud that year. Not sure who really was louder, but they taught us to really project in SCV. The OSUMB most certainly plays well in tune and is massive brass wise.

lol. foot -- meet speeding bullet.

(it's bollocks)

((still lol'ing ))

Oh golly gee, I'm so sorry for that spelling error. Are you still loling for looking like a complete tool on these forums?

My personal observation with high school bands is that they always sound louder at competitions than they do football games. I think that the crowd noise has a lot to do with that. At footballgames the crowed is loud and are not all that interested in listening to the band, at competitions listening to the bands is the reason to attend so there is less "noise" from the stands.

I would assume that the comparison between DCI, where most of the crowed is into the performance and not a football game, as opposed to a college band where most of the crowed is there for the game would be the same.

I was there as well. Sitting very close to where you were no less. I love watching the way people react the first time they see Western Carolina perform.

If you enjoyed that performance indoors you have to see them outside. Take away the echo of a dome and you go from "Wow that was awesome!" to "I need new underwear..." :worthy:

Yup. I've seen them indoors several times, and outdoors several times. One of my favorite college bands, except for the singing part.

As much of a Drum Corps guy as I am, my son would never forgive me if I didn't add the JMU Marching Royal Dukes into the conversation.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

I think what a lot of people are overlooking is the difference between SOUNDING LOUD and actually BEING LOUD.

In a perfect world, the perfect musician would sound no different when "sounding loud" and when "being loud." But, realistically, there is always a timbre change. Even Herseth and Kleinhammer and Jacobs sound different at fff than at mf (this is the fundamental reason, I think, why the Cavies sounded the way they did for so long).

I think many fans equate this "loud timbre" to actual volume. I'm pretty certain they would be SHOCKED at the (actually quite minute) decibel differences between "loud" corps and "not loud" corps. Often, it's not really the decibel difference, it's the fact that they are encouraged to play with a "loud timbre."

In my opinion, Blue Devils, Cadets, and Phantom play with this loud timbre. Phantom especially...even when they play mf, they still sound like they're playing loud (this is NOT a good thing!).

Crown and Bloo, however...they're doing some good thing.

I'll give the Cavies another year or so to gel before I decide what road they're traveling.

• Like 2

I think what a lot of people are overlooking is the difference between SOUNDING LOUD and actually BEING LOUD.

In a perfect world, the perfect musician would sound no different when "sounding loud" and when "being loud." But, realistically, there is always a timbre change. Even Herseth and Kleinhammer and Jacobs sound different at fff than at mf (this is the fundamental reason, I think, why the Cavies sounded the way they did for so long).

I think many fans equate this "loud timbre" to actual volume. I'm pretty certain they would be SHOCKED at the (actually quite minute) decibel differences between "loud" corps and "not loud" corps. Often, it's not really the decibel difference, it's the fact that they are encouraged to play with a "loud timbre."

I can see it now: director under the press box screaming "OK, guys, now play it with a loud timbre!"

In my opinion, Blue Devils, Cadets, and Phantom play with this loud timbre. Phantom especially...even when they play mf, they still sound like they're playing loud (this is NOT a good thing!).

Crown and Bloo, however...they're doing some good thing.

I'll give the Cavies another year or so to gel before I decide what road they're traveling.

Another "Brass Expert" in our midst?ph34r.gif

• Like 1