Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone in corps

I'd love to hear a trombone solo from the pit. A section of them is just unreasonable considering visual demands and the nature of the instrument.

But seriously, if you're getting butt hurt over the idea of a "non corps" brass soloist in the pit, then you are beyond the realm of sanity. Please stay away from DC shows...there are children there and we wouldn't want you to hurt any of them.

• Like 3

Sounds alright to me!

I don't see how using a flugabone (a.k.a trombonium) would do harm. It would add a different color to the sound, but it wouldn't be woodwind! It's brass. It's got valves. It's bell-front, and it doesn't lean against your body like a traditional concert Euphonium, and it allows for tight intervals. End of story.

Thank you for bringing that clip to our attention. I can't imagine why a flugelbone wouldn't be accepted. It's a great sound and visually, it would blend right in. I wonder about the projection and tuning, but that's because I've never been exposed to one. Heck, I wouldn't even be opposed to a squad of marching bassoons if they looked and sounded like that.

Ok, so the issue with the slide has officially been beaten to death, We get it. That's kinda obvious, don't you think? My question was related specifically to music- intervals, not visual, spacing intervals. My bad for not clarifying.

Sounds alright to me!

I don't see how using a flugabone (a.k.a trombonium) would do harm. It would add a different color to the sound, but it wouldn't be woodwind! It's brass. It's got valves. It's bell-front, and it doesn't lean against your body like a traditional concert Euphonium, and it allows for tight intervals. End of story.

If it were up to me, I'd use multi-keyed (mixture of Bb, G, F, Eb, C) horns along with flugabones and rotary-trumpets like they use in philharmonic orchestras (if that's allowed in the rules) in my Drum corps. It would be a truly unique sound that anyone could recognize and say from across the lot without even knowing who is going to be at the show, "THAT'S ___ Corps! Only they have that sound." Of course sponsorships would be tricky... as would repairs but, a guy can dream. With that I digress.

Sounds good. I played one of those for 2 years in marching band way back. Dynasty sells a trombonium. 010-M566big.jpg

In their marching brass line. http://dynastyband.com/products/Marching-Brass/Professional-Marching-Brass

That would be no problem to use in corps.

Should trombone players have to learn baritone? No.

They can learn mellophone, trumpet, tuba....percussion....auxiliary....drum major....

Heh, you are correct. However, baritone and euph would be an easier transition on their lips for sure....

I know I learned mellophone after trombone and euph/baritone, and it was a bit of work. tongue.gif

I play the electric bass... should I be required to learn upright bass in order to play in the symphony?

No, just join drum corps! tongue.gif

I play the electric bass... should I be required to learn upright bass in order to play in the symphony?

Yes.

I'd love to hear a trombone solo from the pit. A section of them is just unreasonable considering visual demands and the nature of the instrument.

But seriously, if you're getting butt hurt over the idea of a "non corps" brass soloist in the pit, then you are beyond the realm of sanity. Please stay away from DC shows...there are children there and we wouldn't want you to hurt any of them.

Ditto. If Bluecoats pull out a trombone solo this summer, I'll judge it for the quality of the playing and the mix with the tune, the corps and the program. And I'll hope it as great as their electrifying bar solo last summer, which deserve mention among the greatest-ever drum corps solos.

HH

As I recall SCV used Trombonium's in 1980... My college roommate played one in the "Planets" show. I remember him saying that they were scrapped because there was no way to get them to blend in with the rest of the ensemble... The cutting tone of the trombonium pierced through the rest of the horns... And of course you know what upper lead baritone players were like back in the day so I just bet when given a cutting instrument that they took full advantage! :devil:

Edited by Big Bad Bari