Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone in corps

The assimilation is almost complete.

Well, in my case my 5th position turned into 2nd valve. and 6th position is 1st valve, 7th position is 1st valve,2nd position. Bass Bone ftw!

Same here. What are 6th and 7th? I have triggers for a reason.

But on the earlier post, trombone players learn positions based on relation to the bell, and after awhile, it just becomes ear and muscle training. You know exactly what a note sounds like, and where it falls on the slide, and you can repeat that every time.

Same here. What are 6th and 7th? I have triggers for a reason.

But on the earlier post, trombone players learn positions based on relation to the bell, and after awhile, it just becomes ear and muscle training. You know exactly what a note sounds like, and where it falls on the slide, and you can repeat that every time.

Agreed. I honestly dislike using the bell to learn your positions. Everything (just like tuning your notes on a standard bugle/horn) should be tuned as you're playing.

and. the only time i would EVER go down to 6/7th position is if i am playing on a Straight horn, or single trigger horn. for bass bone players. the 6th/7th position is invalid.

Agreed. I honestly dislike using the bell to learn your positions. Everything (just like tuning your notes on a standard bugle/horn) should be tuned as you're playing.

and. the only time i would EVER go down to 6/7th position is if i am playing on a Straight horn, or single trigger horn. for bass bone players. the 6th/7th position is invalid.

Yep. It's all ear training.

Actually, I will use 6th and 7th on occasion, depending on the line I'm playing. If I'm playing stuff that involves descending lines through 5th position, then I'll probably continue out, but those are pretty rare occasions. All depends on the playing situation. But hey, I learned baritone and euphonium just fine to march DCI, and actually went from bass bone to lead baritone for two years, it's not too hard of a switch. The valve combinations all equate perfectly to the slide positions, if you can do one, you can usually do the other one.

• Like 1

Yep. It's all ear training.

Actually, I will use 6th and 7th on occasion, depending on the line I'm playing. If I'm playing stuff that involves descending lines through 5th position, then I'll probably continue out, but those are pretty rare occasions. All depends on the playing situation. But hey, I learned baritone and euphonium just fine to march DCI, and actually went from bass bone to lead baritone for two years, it's not too hard of a switch. The valve combinations all equate perfectly to the slide positions, if you can do one, you can usually do the other one.

and if you are a trombone player wanting to make the switch to a valved instrument to march DCI. Chances are that your brass staff is amazing and you will learn breathing/playing techniques to better your trombone playing.

edit: Actually, the breathing exercises you learn and all the playing techniques you will learn will make you a better musician in general.

Edited by Contra94

and if you are a trombone player wanting to make the switch to a valved instrument to march DCI. Chances are that your brass staff is amazing and you will learn breathing/playing techniques to better your trombone playing.

edit: Actually, the breathing exercises you learn and all the playing techniques you will learn will make you a better musician in general.

Yeah, I actually improved both endurance and range on my trombone after playing baritone and euphonium in corps. Even increased volume and tone quality. See kids, DCI brass playing is good for you, if you've got a good staff that stresses musicality over loud noise.

This topic came up in the 2011 World Class Repertoires.

Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone or euph in order to play in corps, or should trombones be used in corps instead?

Also, what about tromboniums? http://dynastyband.c...-Marching-Brass

Would you be okay with seeing and hearing a trombone solo/soli in the pit?

Is this a controversial issue, or would it be that big of a deal to see one?

I'm curious to find out what you all think.

most trombone players do play bari or euphonium in drum corps, our brass caption head is a trombone player & myself are 1