Uniform Changes

I'm suprised no one mentioned Crossmen. From the begining with the Tan unis to the black in 77. Cross to no cross (80-82-84-85-87-89) to Shakos 83-95-96 and matador style uniforms in 85 (thank god I didn't go back). Disco gold highlights 87-88. Going grey in 1999. I don't think they had the same uniform for two years in row after 76.

I'm suprised no one mentioned Crossmen. From the begining with the Tan unis to the black in 77. Cross to no cross (80-82-84-85-87-89) to Shakos 83-95-96 and matador style uniforms in 85 (thank god I didn't go back). Disco gold highlights 87-88. Going grey in 1999. I don't think they had the same uniform for two years in row after 76.

Some things are better left unremembered....

The template was the same from 78 to 81, yes? Then came the slight change in 82, the shako in 83 (capped off by leaving the capes on the bus at Miami-brilliant), then everything went crackers.

Huge change in style for VF from '82 to '83. And one I wasn't too happy with. I loved the '82 uni. Especially when people start calling us Garfield of the West.

Huge change in style for VF from '82 to '83, and one I wasn't too happy with. I loved the '82 uni, especially when people start calling us Garfield of the West.

81 VF's unis were cheap and easy to wash-- I remember going to Sears to get the pants and shirt. VF 82's "Taco Bell Kadets" uni started to settle into an identity which was tossed in '83 in favor of the "GOTW" look which I liked (ironically, our OTL number that year was very Garfield-esqe as well), but we should have worn white shoes and no spats.

Randy-- here's a pic of us as we led the corps off the field at the '83 Modesto show:

VF83Pic.jpg

Edited by TRacer

a95ff237-1.jpg

I feel fortunate to have marched this version of the uniform with the green pants and white bucs. In 1984 we debuted the white pants (aka "The Slammin' Pants") which seemed to have mystical powers whenever we put them on; it wasn't unusual for us to wear the green pants at a Prelim show (like Whitewater or DCI), then switch to white for the Finals performance (again, like WW & DCI). I'm probably not alone when I say that marching the 2004 Rose Parade with the "New Era" uniform & old Aussie was a bit of an adjustment, but still a thrill nonetheless. I confess I'd like to see the above version of the uni worn one more time to play "Northridge" for opener in 2012, then somehow switch back to the current uni for the remainder of the show.

SCVUnism.jpg

Edited by TRacer

What the heck are the horns? Look like single piston bass Baris as look awful large and can't see a rotor.

Not earth shattereing but Westshormen changed unis twice in the late 70s, each change was a new direction.

pre-76: cadet type with powder blue top and "Bonnie Scot" (corps they merged with) plaid sash, black pants and (spray painted black) shako. (no pic :doh: )

76-78: Blue Devils old uni (satin blue blouses/silver sash and cumberbund) when they switched (same shako)

79: black with blue trim, looked sharp in the light and honr line disappeared in the back of dimmly lit stadiums (same #### shako)

80-?: replaced shako (how old WERE they) with white Aussie (mine turned green after a few years :blink: )

Sorry I can't get to Photobucket for pics...

Those are euphoniums. There is a rotor somewhere in there. I think Madison marched all euphs that year. They just look large next to the rather small in the day Contra's on the right.

Some things are better left unremembered....

Yup. Including the uniform change my own corps, Oakland Crusaders, underwent in 1980. Bleh!

only a Jr C canadian corps,,(Simcoe Golden Lions) but we had a complete uni change from 76 -77.. and took all three championships in 77.. went from the "satin" top to a corps mom sewn "Vanguard" style tunic... colour to purple with a gold,,.. and the aussie hat too..and we kept that uni until folding in the 80's

Thank You so much for these very nice pics. There r 2 more uni. changes............73 when the drum line wore I think blue satin tops...... and the 74-76 uni.

Dean

There's actually a few missing from these shots aside from the one's you've mentioned- two uni changes from the 9(4?) shot there with the aussies. After '96 the Glassmen left the cream jackets and black trim and moved to the now-familiar scheme of white for the top 6 inches and black from there on down.

blickwedehl_john.jpg

Somewhere between 98 and 01 they switched to a less-conspicuous shield on the front- not sure if just the shield changed or if these were new jackets entirely. (shoulder loops might be a telling factor if anyone has a close-up)

2001SnareLine.jpg

In '04 they focused in on the contemporary slimline uniforms and stuck with them until 08, with various changes in gloves and accessories- beads in 07, "power rangers" gold trim in '08. by the end of '08 the trim had gummed up the unis so badly they needed to be retired, even if the 5 seasons of wear on them hadn't done them in.

IMG_0277.jpg

The '09 unis were debuted in Washington D.C. on the steps of the Department of Education (http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=2ed88add-0da3-4a94-ac6b-8af38e41da61)

I believe the '10 unis were identical in every aspect.

I think the most abrupt change has to be the notorious 93 uniforms to the 94 cream and black.