Uniform Changes

Florida Wave - we went from the "Bahama police" orange and black uniform look to the Don Johnson "Miami Vice" look with the teal and orange halfway thru the 1986 season.

Wow.... seeing the 1971 and 1972 pictures back to back..... what a change!!!

Just to clarify, the uni I'm wearing is actually from '70. In '71 we switched to a black cummerbund with the black and white sash hanging from it. I don't have a close up of that one. I really liked the way it looked, it elongated the torso a bit more making us look taller. I really missed those unis, they were soooo comfortable. The red polyester tunics in the Summer totally sucked... heat wise that is.

Just to clarify, the uni I'm wearing is actually from '70. In '71 we switched to a black cummerbund with the black and white sash hanging from it. I don't have a close up of that one. I really liked the way it looked, it elongated the torso a bit more making us look taller. I really missed those unis, they were soooo comfortable. The red polyester tunics in the Summer totally sucked... heat wise that is.

Here is the 71 uni up close

IMG-2.jpgIMG_0001-2.jpg

Big change for SCV between '71 and '72

a95ff237-1.jpg

That's a great shot of Berry! Look at that leg lift! Interesting bit of SCV history. In '70, '71 & '72 Berry was the only black person in the corps. The other corps use to call him our token. Barry was a great mellophone and a good friend. I've always wondered what happened to him.

a95ff237-1.jpg

That's a great shot of Berry! Look at that leg lift! Interesting bit of SCV history. In '70, '71 & '72 Berry was the only black person in the corps. The other corps use to call him our token. Barry was a great mellophone and a good friend. I've always wondered what happened to him.

Sorry this is off topic but I want to respond. Yes, isn't his picture the epitome of a great mark time? The top half of his body is beautifully under control and relaxed. The bottom half is totally perfect as far as leg lift and foot placement. Anyone wanting an example of what a perfect mark-time is, this is it.

As far as Barry being a "token", #@%# !#$ @@@$%^, to whoever said such a thing. Sign of the times I suppose. The thing is, I never remember anyone in our Corps being anything but colorblind to all those who marched with us. After all, we not only had an African American back then, we also had Hispanics, Asians, Hawaiians, and the rest of us in various shades of colors, (I myself am known to have 29 different shades of Red in my face depending on the time of year or level of an embarrassing moment). We were and always will be Brothers and Sisters of the "same" family.

Edited by MsBusDriver

Sorry this is off topic but I want to respond. Yes, isn't his picture the epitome of a great mark time? The top half of his body is beautifully under control and relaxed. The bottom half is totally perfect as far as leg lift and foot placement. Anyone wanting an example of what a perfect mark-time is, this is it.

As far as Barry being a "token", #@%# !#$ @@@$%^, to whoever said such a thing. Sign of the times I suppose. The thing is, I never remember anyone in our Corps being anything but colorblind to all those who marched with us. After all, we not only had an African American back then, we also had Hispanics, Asians, Hawaiians, and the rest of us in various shades of colors, (I myself am known to have 29 different shades of Red in my face depending on the time of year or level of an embarrassing moment). We were and always will be Brothers and Sisters of the "same" family.

Barry and I were seat partners for awhile in 1971. I too often wonder where he is today. BTW, that's me 3rd sop from the right in the '71 picture.

Edited by ozarkbugler

I remember my old JR.corps Menominee Northernaires 60's uni were almost identical to the Cavis.In 69 we obtained Ike Jackets from Madison.Being all male at the time it was funny. coming on to the field and listening to the people in the stands trying to figure out if we were the scouts or the Cavies.

We did have a strong connection to the Cavies in the fact that we had Monk come up as a instuctor along with Denny Hagner writing some of our drum book.

Edited by JCSeymour

The Kingston Grenadiers, I remember taking the sample uniform to the corps and everyone about threw me out of Canada. Going from the black and white to the bright yellow was quite the change! Now they are the yellow team Canada.