Drum Corps World Ceases Print Version

then sue. and when DCW is gone forever, we can thank you

i don't get DCW. i would never ever deal with steve again. but had you read my posts you would know that.

i don't get DCW. i would never ever deal with steve again. but had you read my posts you would know that.

Easy there old friend.

I have intentionally remained silent. Mostly, since I don't know how I would have handled the situation had I been Steve.

but

there are a few things I would like all to keep in mind:

1. 40 years of service mean something! That's why Steve Vickers is in every drum corps Hall of Fame that I know of. I will say this.... HE HAS EARNED a lot... Cut him some slack!

2. There is no doubt in my mind that considering the times and the situation and admittedly I may have a bit more information than the average fan, it was this or nothing. The newspaper format was doomed and we all have known this for some time.

3. Part of the blame has to go to (drum roll please!) The United States Postal Service who in their wisdom and thanks to their strong government employees union (don't go there Don - you know I won't listen) even though they are not supposed to be a government agency has knee jerked raised rates at every turn in the road to the point that delivering a monthly periodical like this is prohibitively expensive. They are rapidly determining the path history will take by forcing most business to go electronic. Shoot me - I write one check a month to my backward landlord - all other actions are electronic. Why? Easy... buy a stamp lately? This becomes one of those self fulfilling things in life that will have only one thankful conclusion - ending junk mail stuffing my box. Unfortunately, a lot of good things will be thrown out with the trash.

Right now, I am thankful that Drum Corps World will continue to exist in some form or another.

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 1

Right now, I am thankful that Drum Corps World will continue to exist in some form or another.

:thumbup::worthy::thumbup::worthy:

The print business is pretty bad in Madison....the Capital Times newspaper, the liberal rag of the city, wasn't selling anymore, which what would be really unexpected around here, they went to a weekly free insert in the Wisconsin State Journal...not exactly a right wing paper, but much more to the right of the CT. It's happening everywhere. Heck, even on radio here, Air America failed..in Madison!

the unnecessary and inaccurate jabs at the postal service and union employees notwithstanding, I agree with Tom wholeheartedly. It was doomed because consumers now get information in a completely different format. Paper newspapers are failing everywhere - not just niche papers like DCW. It's because they're becoming obsolete. Don't blame Steve Vickers or your neighborhood mail carrier.

Let's be grateful that there are people like Steve out there who love our activity so much that they dedicate a huge piece of their lives to making sure information about it gets disseminated. It's so easy to sit here behind the courage of a computer keyboard and say terrible things about people...if it weren't for him - where would you get information? And the same people who throw him under the bus would ##### and moan that there's no information out there? Either be part of the solution to the problem or shut up.

Looking forward to getting DCW online.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on here in quite some time.

Really???

How many folks have made an effort to audition for and join Reading, Hawthorne, Hurricanes, Bush, etc., all champions or contenders, versus how many made an attempt to join Sunrisers or Skyliners. These two corps, from the NE BTW, have been struggling to field a corps, any corps for the past 3 or 4 years and are still on the sidelines.

Like I said no one wants to put in the effort to build ( or in these cases, rebuild a champion, or even a contender !). They want instant gratification and a championship ring after only putting in a year or so of service. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

If that is so ridiculous, then please explain to a whole bunch of us on here, how so?

Ray

• Like 2

Really???

How many folks have made an effort to audition for and join Reading, Hawthorne, Hurricanes, Bush, etc., all champions or contenders, versus how many made an attempt to join Sunrisers or Skyliners. These two corps, from the NE BTW, have been struggling to field a corps, any corps for the past 3 or 4 years and are still on the sidelines.

Like I said no one wants to put in the effort to build ( or in these cases, rebuild a champion, or even a contender !). They want instant gratification and a championship ring after only putting in a year or so of service. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

If that is so ridiculous, then please explain to a whole bunch of us on here, how so?

Ray

I won't touch the issues about building a corps...cause, well with the list provided I'm sure I'd offend.

in terms of DCW, to be honest there was no winner to build. Due to many reasons listed here, it was changed or die. The ability to hang in there and fight to build a winner as you call it was gone. Zero. Nada. The only thing left to fight to stay a paper was creditors. So while you may wish DCW could remain a paper and fight the good fight...he had been fighting that fight for some time now. There was no option to hang on and give one more college try...it was change or die.

I did read. I'm sure this will steam you up further, but you are so way off base about Mr. Vickers. I did read your posts. I chose to ignore your rhetoric, because, well, different song, same words.

Don, I too will agree to disagree with you on this one.

IMO, Steve Vickers is a stand-up guy and class act all the way.

Really???

Ray

Well AMEN to THAT, Ray!! But that's another discussion for another thread.

Anyone who has ever composed and printed a drum corps newsletter to 1400 subscribers (well, 1400 people who you HOPE are interested in your drum corps!) and sorted, stapled, folded, labeled, stamped, and sealed them on top of the garage freezer in subfreezing weather knows what it costs to do something relatively small like that. Yes, I will miss the days of getting into my seat in the bleachers an hour before the contest starts to read up on who did what last week.

But, as many have pointed out, a DCW of 1s and 0s is better than NO DCW at all. So we will have to get used to the "fine print edition" available on our handheld electronic devices, and bring extra batteries...

Yeah, I hate it, too. But I WILL stand up for Steve Vickers in his efforts to keep the publication alive. After all, I am probably part of the problem for not having a steady subscription for the last 40 years or so...