Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

There have been so many changes over the years of DCI, since 1972. I was just wondering, what do you think the 3 best things that have changed over the years, and which 3 things do you think have been the worst over the years?

I think the 3 best changes have been

Adding members so that the maximum can be 150. I love the extra sound, and the extra visual that can be used.

Pits-I think the pit is great, as it allows so much more to be done, and I always felt bad for whoever had to carry the 80 lb pieces of equipment all summer long.

Changing of the judging system in the mid 80s. While I might not agree with some of the judging and scores, I liked what corps were able to attempt and achieve when the scoring system changed.

I think the 3 worst changes were

When they took open class corps from competition in quarterfinals. I am so glad they are changing that back this year, so that anyone can compete in World Class quarterfinals.

Amplification. I know they have made improvements over the last 7 years, but I still just don't like it.

Electronics in the pit, still not impressed with this at all. I really hope this changes.

• Like 2

I got nothing today :-)

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 5

3 best :

1) introduction of Fan Network for live broadcasts, retrieval of earlier shows, etc

2) introduction of encores by Corps at shows

3) utilization of Alumni Corps in exhibition at Finals Week.

3 worst:

1)introduction of the Group Slotting System in World Class Competition for 2011.

2) evolution of the rise of the Visual and diminuation of the Brass and Percussion on

the DCI juding sheets.

3)loss of Corps, loss of fans.

• Like 6

hmmmm.....

3 best

grounded pit (carrying tymps is silly)

asymmetric drill

uh....Boston's guard uniforms a couple years back

3 worst (well, more than 3...easier to think of ways they screwed up)

electric use of any kind

getting rid of retreat

G to Bb

Lucas Oil Stadium

completely removing the tick system

upping corps to 150 members

visual over music

slotting

• Like 2

My 3 best (and this was *hard* - there are a lot to choose from!) -

- Asymmetrical drill

- Grounded pit

- Bb horns

My 3 worst (not so hard, really) -

- Mic'd Vocals

- Separating Open / World Class by arbitrary definition rather than competitive results

- 10 years in Indy

Mike

• Like 5

3 best :

1) introduction of Fan Network for live broadcasts, retrieval of earlier shows, etc

2) introduction of encores by Corps at shows

3) utilization of Alumni Corps in exhibition at Finals Week.

3 worst:

1)introduction of the Group Slotting System in World Class Competition for 2011.

2) evolution of the rise of the Visual and diminuation of the Brass and Percussion on

the DCI juding sheets.

3)loss of Corps, loss of fans.

Your 3 best are great. I love the Fan Network, I love encores, and I love Alumni exhibitions as well.

• Like 2

Best:

1) Greater financial oversight and review as a means of evaluating a corps' competitive division.

2) Raising membership limits from 135 to 150 marching members and imposing additional safety/health measures.

3) Continuously modernizing instrumentation to include grounding impractical pit instruments, introducing Bb horns, sanctioning A&E, etc.

Worst:

1) The allowance of individual adjudicators to drastically influence the creative direction of corps staff.

2) The allowance of individual adjudicators to cause corps to make drastic equipment changes despite potential financial set-backs.

3) Aging "fans" who refuse to simply walk away from the activity they love too much to love anymore.

Edited by DrillmanSop06
  • Like 5

There have been so many changes over the years of DCI, since 1972. I was just wondering, what do you think the 3 best things that have changed over the years, and which 3 things do you think have been the worst over the years?

Best:

•The increased use of substantial corps food trucks, essentially rolling kitchens, that has contributed to better nutrition of corps members.

•Cardio-vascular training and medical screening. The first has helped get the members in shape and the second has revealed numerous maladies that were previously undiscovered, allowing the members to be treated to assure their health and safety.

•The sphere of influence drum corps had on the development of the sophistication and quality of competitive marching bands.

Worst:

•The premature loss of some of our most creative and outstanding individuals.

•The increased goal among members to get the perfect all-around tan, all summer long, resulting (I believe) in an increased likelihood of skin cancer cases in the future.

•The loss of Whitewater as a place we visit every year. It is our first and our most endearing shrine and it's got a sense of place like no other stadium and drum corps community.

• Like 9

Best

1. Fan Network

2. Adding valves all the way to any key brass.

3. Asymmetrical drill

4. Grounded pit

Worst

1. Electronics

2. Visual overshadowing music

3. The ability for designers and judges to take the purpose of performing away from the activity by putting their "artistic" opinions ahead of entertainment.

4. Domes... more so Indy for however many years.

I know it was supposed to be three.. but I wanted to give "worst" one more because number three I don't see as "DCI's" fault... I mean it is... but you can blame that more on individuals than the organization as a whole. And I added a 4th best to balance it out.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 2

Best:

1. Fan Network, ESPN, PBS, Fathom Events- Media outlets making Drum Corps accessible to the general public.

1a. Tom Blair's involvement in producing those broadcasts.

2. Two G8's to the West Coast every year, going forward.

3. Grounded Pit Equipment

Worst:

1. Garden State Circuit, DCM, DCE, and other local circuit elimination.

2. Regional Touring model nearly eliminated.

3. Jackson, MS 1993 and Miami,1983 as Finals Locations.

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1