The Unofficial Blue Devils 2011 Thread

So, you've heard that it's all it's cracked up to be?

Hearing about it and doing it yourself....very different things.

Personally, winning is fun....but it was never the ultimate reason for being there.

Not really sure what you're suggesting here?

I guess you're saying that unless you are your daughter who just won a recital for a scholarship, you can't know what it means to her. :blink:

The "tone" of the poster (that I was responding to) was dismissive of the achievement of this great corps. Sometimes that dismissiveness has different motives, some personal, some otherwise. Perhaps he would have told his daugher, "Hey sweetheart, congrats, but you know it's not all it's cracked up to be!"

• Like 1

Exactly. I'm with you there. I've got a championship ring, and it sits at home in it's box, and only comes out maybe twice a year for very special occasions. Sure, it was awesome to win it, but it's still just a piece of metal. The memories make up for far more than a medal or ring ever will.

Be careful Bone, there's two very different sentiments we're discussing here:

1) "Winning isn't all it's cracked up to be" - a completely negative and dismissive commentary on achievement...and

2) "It (winnning) was never the ultimate reason for being there" / "The memories make up for far more than a medal or ring ever will" - a commentary on the real values winners place on the achievement.

I hope you see the difference!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

1) "Winning isn't all it's cracked up to be" - a completely negative and dismissive commentary on achievement...and

2) "It (winnning) was never the ultimate reason for being there" / "The memories make up for far more than a medal or ring ever will" - a commentary on the real values winners place on the achievement.

No one is saying you shouldn't be proud of your son. Certainly, you don't expect the rest of DCP to have that same pride for your son?

Stating that "winning isn't all it's cracked up to be" doesn't take anything away from folks who won. The members did what they did for their own reasons...a statement from an anonymous member of an internet forum can't take anything from them....although it may from someone who wasn't a part of that experience (as they took nothing from it but pride in the accomplishment). Hence my comment.

The members need no defending, what they have can't be touched.

• Like 2

No one is saying you shouldn't be proud of your son. Certainly, you don't expect the rest of DCP to have that same pride for your son?

Stating that "winning isn't all it's cracked up to be" doesn't take anything away from folks who won. The members did what they did for their own reasons...a statement from an anonymous member of an internet forum can't take anything from them....although it may from someone who wasn't a part of that experience (as they took nothing from it but pride in the accomplishment). Hence my comment.

The members need no defending, what they have can't be touched.

I'm quite aware that the comments take nothing away and I have no compulsion to defend their achievement...I agree, they don't need it. However, we have a choice in these discussions, let the negative lay there like a dead fish or pick it up and throw it in the trash. As I have said so often in the past, "if the post you are about to write is something you wouldn't dare (or have the courage) to say directly to the MM's on the field (and my guess is that the poster wouldn't), then......"

BTW, you'll note that I found your sentiment positive.

• Like 1

Yeah, sure man. I see what you're talking about. I fall much more into the second camp into the first one. I think winning is great, but if that's the reason you go to a certain corps, or march, then I really think your priorities are out of whack. The ring is cool, but like I said, mine sits in the ring box, and comes out once or twice a year. Just my take on it, not saying I would have traded that summer for anything in the world, but I would have been okay without the win. The memories and the experiences are the most important part to me, and always have been.

Oh, and that talk about the values of winning have actually been given to us members a few times, so I guess a lot of people have the courage to say it. :tongue:

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 1

i'm starting to think they'll announce sometime around september

They'll announce it as they go on the field Finals night. The crowd will collectively "Ohhh" in finally understanding the theme.

I'll go put on flame retardant gear now.

• Like 1