The Unofficial Blue Devils 2011 Thread

if so, then we also need to get rid of these labels that people use to elevate their opinions over others or marginalize the opinions of others:

hummable

cheesy

accessible

esoteric

melodic

fully developed

fan friendly

chop n bop

dark

bando

and about a zillion others

darned labels. lol.

-----------------------------

anyhoo, besdes bd, i'm also looking forward to music that will be very different from the likes of phantom and scv.

can't wait to find out what crown's doing!

I would say most of those are descriptors folks use in terms of music they find (here's another one...) accessible.

They don't necessarily take aim at the folks themselves (with maybe the exception of "bando"), while "haters" does.

if so, then we also need to get rid of these labels that people use to elevate their opinions over others or marginalize the opinions of others:

hummable

cheesy

accessible

esoteric

melodic

fully developed

fan friendly

chop n bop

dark

bando

If you honestly think those words are as emotionally-charged as accusing someone of irrational hatred, I'm not sure we share a common planet. :blink:

• Like 1

likewise if you don't think there's plenty of irrational hatred shown by some people on here

just like the words i listed oftentimes are used in a productive, conversational, non-hateful way, the word hater does in fact have some application here

i really apologize for getting this off topic. sorry, folks.

hummable

cheesy

accessible

esoteric

melodic

fully developed

fan friendly

chop n bop

dark

bando

and about a zillion others

darned labels. lol.

-----------------------------

anyhoo, besdes bd, i'm also looking forward to music that will be very different from the likes of phantom and scv.

can't wait to find out what crown's doing!

But all of those terms describe why a person didn't enjoy a show.

"Hater" labels a person to give the illusion that their opinion doesn't matter (anymore than anyone else's).

likewise if you don't think there's plenty of irrational hatred shown by some people on here

just like the words i listed oftentimes are used in a productive, conversational, non-hateful way, the word hater does in fact have some application here

i really apologize for getting this off topic. sorry, folks.

No Lance it's not likewise. And the label has no place here.

And you *know* these people hate? Really? Maybe their anti-fans. Maybe they root against certain teams. But can you look into their hearts and see this "hatred"? It's a very strong word and IMO one the worst things you could say about another human being.

Civil discourse declined significantly on these forums last season and IMO that trend was bound up with legitimizing ad hominem attacks that began with tagging posters with this label.

I agree with the posters above -- it needs to end.

And I'll end this OT branch with this comment.

Apologies to the OP.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

accessible is on the list.

So it is. :)

Accessible? ..like a Frenchman speaking English to an American living in Paris...an American that's too lazy to learn it himself. "Hey, it's like you Frenchies have a different word for everything!"

That kind of accessible? Then yes, BD needs to stop stumping the DCP audience. Simplify...do the familiar, the non-different, you know.....like to old days when they wore gray pants with sashes and screamed.

Come on BD...can't you hear the chorus of fans on here cheering you to be normal...uh oh, what's that, another rumor of normalcy...shhhhhh...yeah maybe will like em' this year! :blink:

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1