The Unofficial Blue Devils 2011 Thread

Don't tell anyone, but their staff decided to change their marching shoes this year:

Pictures here

I’ve been wondering when a drum corps would pick up on those….guessing this was a joke but…

Those barefoot shoes are becoming big in the running world….some doctor has a website or there was a special I saw on the web with him (something like the barefoot runner) in which he explained barefoot running.

Basically, the human form, leg and foot were designed and evolved to have the weight placed on the front of the foot, behind the toes. And by wearing shoes we are fighting our own physiology and putting our weight on the heel when we walk. He maintains that we are more efficient and less prone to injury when we run barefoot (although we need to protect our feet from cuts, etc…). So they have shoes that mimic this barefoot weight distrubution, they put your weight up on the front of the feet, those linked are the extreme, advanced version.

I got a pair of the entry level Nike Free shoes to test them out myself….at first I didn’t notice much but after a few hours in them I was, oh, they are really different. A few more hours and I had to take them off as I was getting a foot cramp…they do warn you to break into them slowly and now that I have, I’m a fan. I still can't wear them always and have not tried the extreme one finger ones and they are starting to come out with shoes that do this too…not just sneakers

But one day, I expect a drum corps will try them and adjust their marching style to take advantage of the efficiency while lower the risk of injury

. You'd have to have the marcher start adjusting to them early and it may just be a trend that never catches on or it maybe more….

Soon, I’ll tell you folks what the next trend in visual design should be because the designers have fallen so behind the curve, they really do need my help

I’ve been wondering when a drum corps would pick up on those….guessing this was a joke but…

Those barefoot shoes are becoming big in the running world….some doctor has a website or there was a special I saw on the web with him (something like the barefoot runner) in which he explained barefoot running.

Basically, the human form, leg and foot were designed and evolved to have the weight placed on the front of the foot, behind the toes. And by wearing shoes we are fighting our own physiology and putting our weight on the heel when we walk. He maintains that we are more efficient and less prone to injury when we run barefoot (although we need to protect our feet from cuts, etc…). So they have shoes that mimic this barefoot weight distrubution, they put your weight up on the front of the feet, those linked are the extreme, advanced version.

I got a pair of the entry level Nike Free shoes to test them out myself….at first I didn’t notice much but after a few hours in them I was, oh, they are really different. A few more hours and I had to take them off as I was getting a foot cramp…they do warn you to break into them slowly and now that I have, I’m a fan. I still can't wear them always and have not tried the extreme one finger ones and they are starting to come out with shoes that do this too…not just sneakers

But one day, I expect a drum corps will try them and adjust their marching style to take advantage of the efficiency while lower the risk of injury

. You'd have to have the marcher start adjusting to them early and it may just be a trend that never catches on or it maybe more….

Soon, I’ll tell you folks what the next trend in visual design should be because the designers have fallen so behind the curve, they really do need my help

It might first be used by guards wanting the barefoot look....with the right color and from a distance you'd never know, and there'd be a LOT more protection for the foot.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm quite aware that the comments take nothing away and I have no compulsion to defend their achievement...I agree, they don't need it. However, we have a choice in these discussions, let the negative lay there like a dead fish or pick it up and throw it in the trash. As I have said so often in the past, "if the post you are about to write is something you wouldn't dare (or have the courage) to say directly to the MM's on the field (and my guess is that the poster wouldn't), then......"

BTW, you'll note that I found your sentiment positive.

Hey buddy, guess what I heard recently. Yep your right, the Blue Devils! Cant wait to see this show in 2011, just wondering how you are feeling about the show. It is so not freaky deaky, like it has been from them the last few years. Melody is on the comeback for 2011, cant wait.

Hey buddy, guess what I heard recently. Yep your right, the Blue Devils! Cant wait to see this show in 2011, just wondering how you are feeling about the show. It is so not freaky deaky, like it has been from them the last few years. Melody is on the comeback for 2011, cant wait.

All a very clever ruse to lure you into a sense of normalcy, then..............they yank the football away just as you are about to kick it!!

Good Grief!!!! :tongue:

BTW, did you hear any tunes you recognized? My way of saying that I'm not at liberty to say.

All a very clever ruse to lure you into a sense of normalcy, then..............they yank the football away just as you are about to kick it!!

Good Grief!!!! :tongue:

BTW, did you hear any tunes you recognized? My way of saying that I'm not at liberty to say.

Just one. But I sure liked the rest. I doubt there will be any football yanking this year from the Blue Devils. Hope you are ok with that. I am.

You liked it?

I didn't have you pegged for an Ornette Coleman fan ...

OOPS! I gave it away!

I liked it... alot! You can basically get all info Drum and Bugle Corps wise from Mr. Hopkins personal blog. I am surprised that you all aligned yourselves with him seeing how he talks about bringing you all down. Usually by now, luv. me some mello would have told everyone what you are playing this year(B.B. hint, hint) he is real good at spilling the beans in public. It is common knowledge right now if you are in his inner circle. Just saying... Plan.

Edited by thirdcoast

I liked it... alot! You can basically get all info Drum and Bugle Corps wise from Mr. Hopkins personal blog. I am surprised that you all aligned yourselves with him seeing how he talks about bringing you all down. Usually by now, luv. me some mello would have told everyone what you are playing this year(B.B. hint, hint) he is real good at spilling the beans in public. It is common knowledge right now if you are in his inner circle. Just saying... Plan.

True, but if we tell..... we may never get to heaven! :wink:

Edited by Plan9

True, but if we tell..... we may never get to heaven! :wink:

Led Zeppelin? Stairway to Heaven, that would be pretty cool if they did that. Would make it really interesting since SCV is doing the Devils Staircase and the Blue Devils are named Devils... etc.

Edited by NeutralNovice