Inconvenience Fees!

This thread is still dumb. Here's your solution: stop attending all events that have fees attached to them. It'll really show the Machine which will in turn impact DCI. Or, you could, you know, deal with it or don't order tickets. Buy 'em at the door. No one is forcing you to order online.

Would it be inappropriate and unlady-like to say that these "convenience fees" that DCI (and others) charge suck?

I bought some $10 tickets to the show in Madison and then I get hit with another $3.50 (35 percent!) per ticket from DCI for some kind of "convenience." I'm not sure what that even means?

Yeah, yeah...I know...I didn't have to purchase them, but I did because I'm an old softie. You may ask, "hey Grandma, why are you griping? You got $10 tickets you cheapskate!" To which I reply, "Kiss my wrinkled butt! I spent well over $1,000 last year on a show (premium tickets and travel) that was rained out and had the same thing happen the year before. My new personal drum corps policy is that I'm only going to shows within an hour or two of the home and I'm buying the cheap tickets!"

I wouldn't have problem with the fee for the entire purchase,...... IOW, say you order 6 tickets, one fee..........but to charge $3.50 per ticket in fees is kinda disgusting,........why not just raise the ticket price overall,.........I guess it is someone's idea to make it "feel" better,..........but that is in the eyes of the beholder only,.........

I usually just buy a ticket from one of the many band programs that have some left over tickets. That way the band gets some of the money and I get a cheap ticket. There are usually so many empty seats that its not hard to find a good seat once you get in the gate at many venues.

These fees are commonplace now with pretty much anything and everything nowadays.

I just paid $35/ticket + 12.00 EACH TKT to a Devo concert in Houston last weekend. The tkt was bought online, and it's labled a 'convenience' fee. Hate it but what are you gonna do. It was a general admission tkt.

By the way, DEVO STILL ROCKS after 35 years!. Mark Mothersberg (sp) is 61 years young!

Roger

These fees are commonplace now with pretty much anything and everything nowadays.

I just paid $35/ticket + 12.00 EACH TKT to a Devo concert in Houston last weekend. The tkt was bought online, and it's labled a 'convenience' fee. Hate it but what are you gonna do. It was a general admission tkt.

By the way, DEVO STILL ROCKS after 35 years!. Mark Mothersberg (sp) is 61 years young!

Roger

"Whip It... Into Shape... Shape It Up... Get Straight..." Yep, just what a 61 year-old guy needs to do for entertainment :satisfied:

So, you are ok with the public not knowing who gets the biggest share of profit from the sale of a gallon of Gas because all of the fees are built into the final price? (by the way if you do much research you will discover that it is the government with their hidden value added taxs)

Yes I am... Now of course I do feel that I (WE) am/are paying way way too much for gas now. But when the price is what I agree to be an appropriate price I could really give a SH9^ who get a piece and how big that it happens to be.... Again it is a cost of doing business for the seller. All the details do, is make people angry about who gets a piece which is really none of their business as long as they are not getting gouged.

Yes I am... Now of course I do feel that I (WE) am/are paying way way too much for gas now. But when the price is what I agree to be an appropriate price I could really give a SH9^ who get a piece and how big that it happens to be.... Again it is a cost of doing business for the seller. All the details do, is make people angry about who gets a piece which is really none of their business as long as they are not getting gouged.

As it applies to taxes, that is my money which is allocated by the government for their specific uses not the governments money to do with as they please; so I certainly want to know how much the government is taking out of my pocket.

As it applies to taxes, that is my money which is allocated by the government for their specific uses not the governments money to do with as they please; so I certainly want to know how much the government is taking out of my pocket.

Those taxes have all been voted upon and you would have known and should have known when these fees are established. If you have forgotten the last time you alloted tax money via an election to certain purposes it is not the consuming publics problem. So yes for taxes you should and DO know and should not need a constant reminder. I am pretty certain that my statement was in the context of an airline charging $25.00 per bag for additional bags and what a stupid move that is. The CPA's of the world have NO CLUE as to how to state something as to make it more palatable unlike the salespeople of the world.

EXAMPLE: Someone allowed a marketing/sales type to help Southwest airlines... They advertise that they do not charge for bags!!!!!! It feels good not to get FEE'D to death! But what do you want to bet that EVERYONE pays about $1.00 more per ticket so that Southwest can charge 0 for the extra bags? Is this bad? NO is it good? because it is positive marketing that allows someone to feel good about the deal they got. Or we could do it the way of the CPA... Get that price down as low as possible and then... Add a fee for this and a fee for that and drive the buyer away because the great deal no longer exists in their mind. It is IMPOSSIBLE to quantify what makes a good deal but I guarantee you it is mostly between the ears!

Those taxes have all been voted upon and you would have known and should have known when these fees are established. If you have forgotten the last time you alloted tax money via an election to certain purposes it is not the consuming publics problem. So yes for taxes you should and DO know and should not need a constant reminder. I am pretty certain that my statement was in the context of an airline charging $25.00 per bag for additional bags and what a stupid move that is. The CPA's of the world have NO CLUE as to how to state something as to make it more palatable unlike the salespeople of the world.

EXAMPLE: Someone allowed a marketing/sales type to help Southwest airlines... They advertise that they do not charge for bags!!!!!! It feels good not to get FEE'D to death! But what do you want to bet that EVERYONE pays about $1.00 more per ticket so that Southwest can charge 0 for the extra bags? Is this bad? NO is it good? because it is positive marketing that allows someone to feel good about the deal they got. Or we could do it the way of the CPA... Get that price down as low as possible and then... Add a fee for this and a fee for that and drive the buyer away because the great deal no longer exists in their mind. It is IMPOSSIBLE to quantify what makes a good deal but I guarantee you it is mostly between the ears!

As I stated earlier, I agree with your (and Granny's) assessment as long as everything is done "in house" by just one company. Such as your Southwest Airline example. But if company ABC charges for a product, and they use XYZ company to facilitate the handling-shipping, the customer needs to know both costs which are going to two different companies.

Thanks, Chris, and I can verify that this is CrownTicket's procedure as well. The $17.00 ticket to our show has a $2.50 convenience fee. While we used to handle ticketing to our show ourselves, the time, effort, phone-banks, computer time, mailing effort, will call, etc, etc, (not to mention the volunteers needed) make the fee well worthwhile to the show coordinators. Plus, in today's electronic world, CrownTickets puts up venue pics and a "pick your seat" option that we simply couldn't offer in the old days.

And, well, someone's got to pay for all that. tongue.gif

(Edit: And No, I don't work for CrownTickets, but I'm very happy with their service!)

I work for Crown and we are HAPPY you use our service! Along with the online feature to buy tickets we have a full-time employee that answers any questions, when needed, and handles all of our customer service and ticket mailings. A small fee to pay for great service!