Onyx

I was being a tad sarcastic, but in reality this topic has mostly been personal attacks and not a productive conversation. People really need to get over it and move on.

If an intelligent conversation on the show design is wanted, may I suggest a new topic and leave the negative comments and personal attacks out of it.

Although I agree that the topic has drifted at some points I don't agree that people should move on. If people year to year continually MOVE ON...nothing will change nor will it be taken seriously to those who need to hear.

Without personal attacks, all concerns,direction of things, likes , dislikes should be loud and up front otherwise we can't complain if this is all going in a direction we don't like. We should also address things we do like.

As per it just bing flags on a gym floor. I have used that comment often and although I agree there are far more important things in the world than color guard, persussion lines and drum corps It was pointed out to me ( tell that to those who work their butts off and spend a fortune to be in this activity.) I had to agree.

• Like 3

you just can't reason with crazy...

Thank you for proving my point.

Everyone see what happens when you try to have a productive conversation here?

It's downright laughable.

• Like 2

tired

Might I suggest you go read something like Cat Fancy then?

Well we tried being productive.........................:doh:

• Like 2

My personal problem with Mike Lentz deals with how rude he was when I brought up these concerns...

Scott Markham

Hey, buddy. That horse you've been beating looks like it's been dead for a WHIIIIIIIIILE.

Nobody cares anymore. Your beef with the Mike Lentz? Nobody cares. You didn't like Onyx's show? Nobody cares. The season's done, and you can't change the results. Additionally, that comment doesn't sound at all productive or relevant.

As for your comments on technical issues, sure they are there. And as such, they pointedly did not win equipment or movement. But I'd like to see you do that drill and try to have a completely perfect run. It looks exhausting. Also, there's so much to their show that I'm sure there's a lot to clean. Give it another year, and you may have more perfection, but there's only so much time in a season. Also, I think some of the tosses where they just chuck a rifle into the air, let it spin somewhat randomly and catch it however they can are weird as hell, and it would never be a design choice in my equipment book. But it's a different approach to the weapon, and I can respect that. We think of color guard equipment as only being able to be spun and tossed in certain ways, which in many ways is related to the history of the activity, and I think that they are trying to look for alternative options previously unexplored.

The same can be said to their movement. I think last year's groupings with more ensemble movement, even if it was groups of 3 or 4 dancers, benefitted them better than this years, where many more individualized movement segments are found, that stuck out more. But I appreciate the different, unique approach they had this year, and I think that is what probably enticed the judges. Their ability to take something and say, "Well, this is what the audience knows, what is familiar. How can we step outside of that box, while attempting to create our own identity?" is something that I personally feel should be rewarded.

Onyx's show? I have absolutely no idea what it was specifically about. But I do think the one thing they wanted to do was get the audience out of its mental confines for the activity, and nobody can deny that they achieved that goal.

I do wish they had spun more flag.

• Like 3

Hey, buddy. That horse you've been beating looks like it's been dead for a WHIIIIIIIIILE.

Nobody cares anymore. Your beef with the Mike Lentz? Nobody cares. You didn't like Onyx's show? Nobody cares. The season's done, and you can't change the results. Additionally, that comment doesn't sound at all productive or relevant.

As for your comments on technical issues, sure they are there. And as such, they pointedly did not win equipment or movement. But I'd like to see you do that drill and try to have a completely perfect run. It looks exhausting. Also, there's so much to their show that I'm sure there's a lot to clean. Give it another year, and you may have more perfection, but there's only so much time in a season. Also, I think some of the tosses where they just chuck a rifle into the air, let it spin somewhat randomly and catch it however they can are weird as hell, and it would never be a design choice in my equipment book. But it's a different approach to the weapon, and I can respect that. We think of color guard equipment as only being able to be spun and tossed in certain ways, which in many ways is related to the history of the activity, and I think that they are trying to look for alternative options previously unexplored.

The same can be said to their movement. I think last year's groupings with more ensemble movement, even if it was groups of 3 or 4 dancers, benefitted them better than this years, where many more individualized movement segments are found, that stuck out more. But I appreciate the different, unique approach they had this year, and I think that is what probably enticed the judges. Their ability to take something and say, "Well, this is what the audience knows, what is familiar. How can we step outside of that box, while attempting to create our own identity?" is something that I personally feel should be rewarded.

Onyx's show? I have absolutely no idea what it was specifically about. But I do think the one thing they wanted to do was get the audience out of its mental confines for the activity, and nobody can deny that they achieved that goal.

I do wish they had spun more flag.

I love when people craftily pull a fraction of a post out to quote and then use it out of context. (If you read further, I said my personal feelings following his reaction is off topic...and I didn't take it any further).

I think you bring up great points, and although I may not agree with all of your comments, I am not going to callously say "nobody cares" what you think.

It's a discussion forum...and clearly you cared enough about what I had to say to respond.

In any case...interesting and well-thought out post.

• Like 3