Onyx

Hey, buddy. That horse you've been beating looks like it's been dead for a WHIIIIIIIIILE.

Nobody cares anymore. Your beef with the Mike Lentz? Nobody cares. You didn't like Onyx's show? Nobody cares. The season's done, and you can't change the results. Additionally, that comment doesn't sound at all productive or relevant.

As for your comments on technical issues, sure they are there. And as such, they pointedly did not win equipment or movement. But I'd like to see you do that drill and try to have a completely perfect run. It looks exhausting. Also, there's so much to their show that I'm sure there's a lot to clean. Give it another year, and you may have more perfection, but there's only so much time in a season. Also, I think some of the tosses where they just chuck a rifle into the air, let it spin somewhat randomly and catch it however they can are weird as hell, and it would never be a design choice in my equipment book. But it's a different approach to the weapon, and I can respect that. We think of color guard equipment as only being able to be spun and tossed in certain ways, which in many ways is related to the history of the activity, and I think that they are trying to look for alternative options previously unexplored.

The same can be said to their movement. I think last year's groupings with more ensemble movement, even if it was groups of 3 or 4 dancers, benefitted them better than this years, where many more individualized movement segments are found, that stuck out more. But I appreciate the different, unique approach they had this year, and I think that is what probably enticed the judges. Their ability to take something and say, "Well, this is what the audience knows, what is familiar. How can we step outside of that box, while attempting to create our own identity?" is something that I personally feel should be rewarded.

Onyx's show? I have absolutely no idea what it was specifically about. But I do think the one thing they wanted to do was get the audience out of its mental confines for the activity, and nobody can deny that they achieved that goal.

I do wish they had spun more flag.

I care...

...valid issues in judging have been brought up and need to be addressed! Whether or not Scott has an issue with Mr. Lentz, doesn't concern me, but several guards get docked points b/c judges "don't understand" guards shows. Its odd that no one understands Onyx's show yet no one questions it because they won last year??????? There are many instructors who I know who think the same. All this discussion is good for sport/art whatever you want to classsify it as.

I personally love reading Scott's post b/c he is very well spoken! :thumbup: Whether you agree or disagree with anyone on here, just being plain rude and not adding anything constructive to the topic is just a waste of time.

I didn't like Onyx on video, but I got to watch them at WGI from the 2nd row on the 50 and I enjoyed it, thought it was interesting, different and it made me think. I may not understand it, or agree with the placement, but I do have some respect for the people marching. They dont control what they are given, so my hats off to them for performing what they were given very well! :thumbup:

Hope I didn't make anyone angry, not trying to be controversial, just my 2 cents on this heated topic!

Cant we all just get along???? HAHA JK :w00t:

• Like 3

Scott,

Well, I'm aware you said "off topic," but if it was, then really, why say it?

thedova,

While the delivery was rude, I highly doubt that I didn't add something constructive to the conversation.

I'll also point out that I only said that nobody cares that he doesn't like Onyx's show. I didn't say that nobody cares about how it was judged. I didn't say anything to say his comments were invalid to the discussion.

All discussion is good discussion, except when it's already been said way too many times, as is the case with "boo hoo, mike lentz" and "i don't like onyx."

• Like 3

I wasn't aware of, and could frankly care less about where you marched. None of this really matters, I'm sure when things go awry I'll just move north to the Percussion Forums anyway. So much less drama there...

hell not even discussion of Percussion weekend. Such a shame, great stuff happened there

hell not even discussion of Percussion weekend. Such a shame, great stuff happened there

Yes..... I was looking forward to reading comments and opinions on the Perc forum, too. WP was fantastic!! Followed all of it on FN and I was blown away! :worthy:

Can we move on from this now? This is getting ridiculous. This has gone from a topic about Onyx to a topic bashing Scott. Lets move on, its only colorguard people. 6ft flags, sabres, and rifles in a gym...

Just want to point out that some groups spin 5 1/2' poles or 6 1/2' poles... : ) just saying..

• Like 1

Just want to point out that some groups spin 5 1/2' poles or 6 1/2' poles... : ) just saying..

And swingflags! I personally hope to see widgets make a comeback. lol ;-)

• Like 1

And swingflags! I personally hope to see widgets make a comeback. lol ;-)

Yes!! I told my kids about widgets this year and they were like "can we add those to our show??!". I said NO! but encouraged them to use a widget when practicing in their bedrooms. :)

but several guards get docked points b/c judges "don't understand" guards shows. Its odd that no one understands Onyx's show yet no one questions it because they won last year???????

[citation needed]

...but seriously, could you please back up this claim? I have never heard of a case where a guard was "docked" points due to a lack of conceptual confusion.

Let's take West Broward HS for example. For the past two years, they have performed pretty abstract, metaphorical programs. Does anyone know what they're about? ...Anyone?

I had to have them both spelled out by insiders. But hey, they've got two medals back to back. The judges must be seeing something they like.

Whenever you hear a judge say "I don't understand," they're not referring to concept. They're referring to the effect trying to be expressed. Onyx is obviously depicting aggression, frustration, a lack of cohesion... and this effect is consistent throughout the program and throughout their phrases. It works, and is rewarded.

• Like 1

[citation needed]

...but seriously, could you please back up this claim? I have never heard of a case where a guard was "docked" points due to a lack of conceptual confusion.

Let's take West Broward HS for example. For the past two years, they have performed pretty abstract, metaphorical programs. Does anyone know what they're about? ...Anyone?

I had to have them both spelled out by insiders. But hey, they've got two medals back to back. The judges must be seeing something they like.

Whenever you hear a judge say "I don't understand," they're not referring to concept. They're referring to the effect trying to be expressed. Onyx is obviously depicting aggression, frustration, a lack of cohesion... and this effect is consistent throughout the program and throughout their phrases. It works, and is rewarded.

Actually it is done alot...but just depends whos doing the asking and whos doing the answering...and there lies the problem :blink:

• Like 1