The Onyx thread

Okay...big group hug time..and then bygones!

For those who missed the initial thread, you should probably understand that there was a very passionate discussion taking place about the onyx. I read through all of the many pages, an no one was being disrespectful or attacking anyone, but there were strong convictions on both sides. I think some are upset that the thread was taken down because there was an intellectual discussion taking place (both pro and against)that concerns our activity and that's what this board for. But, I also understand TrishDish's role is to monitor and make sure things don't get out of hand, and she was only doing what she thought was best (and was acting on the request of someone to remove the thread). Stuck between a rock and a hard place I say....I would have preferred for the original thread to stay up so that the discussion could evolve, but at the end of the day, let's face it...it's guns, swords and lame in a gym! :w00t: It's a fun experience and an activity that acts as release for a lot us, especially after working with kids all day who've been bullied, who cut, who are neglected and trying to overcome all kinds of god awful things that kids should never face. Guard is my release from a daily marathon of emotional exhaustion, so I say again; and the end of the day...it's girls and boys spinning flags in a gym. ..

Group Hug Time!!!

:grouphug:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 1

That's an easy one, as it has been my plan all along. I am not happy with where the activity is going and I find it no longer enjoyable. This is the first year that I haven't gone to a show or purchased Fan Network. If it wasn't for SW, I probably would have lost interest sooner.

Again, good luck to ALL the competing guards. This will be my last post other than a post with my name and an "I Told You So" after WGI when Onyx fails to retain their title.

So if you have not gone to a show or purchased the Fan Network this year, then how and/or when have you seen Onyx? How could you possibly have such a strong opinion about a show that you have not even seen?

Edited by combia1

Okay...big group hug time..and then bygones!

For those who missed the initial thread, you should probably understand that there was a very passionate discussion taking place about the onyx. I read through all of the many pages, an no one was being disrespectful or attacking anyone, but there were strong convictions on both sides. I think some are upset that the thread was taken down because there was an intellectual discussion taking place (both pro and against)that concerns our activity and that's what this board for. But, I also understand TrishDish's role is to monitor and make sure things don't get out of hand, and she was only doing what she thought was best (and was acting on the request of someone to remove the thread). Stuck between a rock and a hard place I say....I would have preferred for the original thread to stay up so that the discussion could evolve, but at the end of the day, let's face it...it's guns, swords and lame in a gym! :w00t: It's a fun experience and an activity that acts as release for a lot us, especially after working with kids all day who've been bullied, who cut, who are neglected and trying to overcome all kinds of god awful things that kids should never face. Guard is my release from a daily marathon of emotional exhaustion, so I say again; and the end of the day...it's girls and boys spinning flags in a gym. ..

Group Hug Time!!!

:grouphug:

who spend a fortune to be a part of...Which costs a fortune to run successfully....who's patrons at championships spend alot to see. So although I use the term " it's only flags on a floor" it's way more than that!!!

At one time or another Onyx, Zydeco, Corona, James Logan, Warren Central, Choctawhatchee, Cypress Independent, Ars Nova, Beatrix, South Shore and a few others have been on that website that is famous for videos.

You're right. I've never been to the Sistine Chapel in Rome, but I've seen pictures of the ceiling in books. I don't see what all the hype is about.

After seeing Onyx live, I've grown to appreciate the show a bit more. I say just a bit because the show makes no more sense live than it does on Fan Network. It is definitely an interesting show though, just clearly not for everyone. Personally, I'm surprised that they're scoring as high as they are right now. Having seen all of these shows live, I think Santa Clara Vanguard, Fantasia, and Corona all have better weapon content and execution than Onyx. Onyx is definitely tossing higher than anybody else right now. Well, the 2 or 3 members that actually do toss.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out with all the groups head to head.

Hi,

I'm the one that started the thread and I didn't mean for it to get malicious in any way at all. I'm a huge fan of onyx and I didn't understand the show and wanted to know more about the concepts before I watched it live so that I could fully understand it in Dayton. I'm truly sorry for any issues this caused.

You're right. I've never been to the Sistine Chapel in Rome, but I've seen pictures of the ceiling in books. I don't see what all the hype is about.

Thank you for the context ha. A photo I took on our way to the Sistine Chapel while on a drum corps tour, the Gallery of Maps.

77-vatican-museum.jpg

I remember seeing live performances of Karen Kain and Frank Augustyn dance the Pas de Deux, Boris Godunov, Waiting for Godot, Hair, Cats, Gypsy, A Chorus Line, Moe Koffman, George Carlin, Bob Marley and more. I love winter guard, miss it dearly and wanted to visit a show but no :( I got the last 2 years on video, slowly viewing here and there, however it's 2011; Get It Guards! I'm cheering for you all from afar! Yeehaw!

:bigsmile:

edit: an adaptation of a play;

Edited by lindap

:thumbup:Hi,

I'm the one that started the thread and I didn't mean for it to get malicious in any way at all. I'm a huge fan of onyx and I didn't understand the show and wanted to know more about the concepts before I watched it live so that I could fully understand it in Dayton. I'm truly sorry for any issues this caused.

Don't be sorry at all. There really aren't much things to talk about oh this site. Many people don't and won't for obvious reasons . This wasnt a bad thing. I believe it really even didnt have to do specifically with Onyx but moreso a direction of the activity. It is about time that more spoke up on many subjects that have only been pr ivied to a certain few. I've seen this happen before YES even in WGI. Its not even so much about someone wanting to change the world with their art but its about expecting everyone else to live in it , by choice or not.

If many many others didnt feel this all was valid ,the postings would have stopped at yours. I have seen and spoke to literally dozens of people who felt the same and some who did not but either way I for one am glad people have spoken up and I would think many many more will address the direction of the activity as well as WGI for quite a while to come. :thumbup: