Ran into Two Blue Stars Eating at White Castle

Imagine, musicians eating a meal!

That's a joke in the making.

• Like 3

I think that I can beat you all in distance of finding a corps member. I saw someone wearing a Troopers corps jacket in Prague, Czech Republic yesterday!

• Like 2

When I went to see Blast, I ended up sitting right next to someone who marched Pioneer the year after me. It's amazing who you can run into out there!

Yesterday, (Sunday, April 3, 4:40 PM) at the Indianapolis White Castle at 38th and Keystone, two diners noticed my T-shirt and asked "Is that a drum corps T-shirt?"

"Um, yes it is," I stammered. I was wearing one of those orange '48' Cavalier T-shirts.

"We're with the Blue Stars," one of them said.

The two guys had just finished weekend camp at the nearby fairgrounds, and were dining before heading back to Cincinnati. Both are looking forward to aging out this summer. One has been with the Blue Stars for several years, and is a lead trumpet. He persuaded his friend to join the tour.

We traded a few short stories -- like when the Blue Stars souvie truck once used dozens of United States Post Office mail buckets on their truck to store shirts in. (The corps has since upgraded to legal storage tubs.)

We talked about their 2008 La Tour bike show, the 2009 Working show, the 2010 Houdini show. They are both looking forward to a great season. I wished them well.

I headed outside, and grabbed the 4:56 southbound Indygo bus.

OK, so it was just an ordinary run-in, but I get a huge thrill when running into drum corps people out of context.

Imagine, musicians eating a meal! Almost Twitter-worthy.

That's so cool! I went to the Indy Fairgrounds this weekend and saw about 110 Blue Stars. Of course, I was working the camp :tongue: .

Seriously, if you're in the area on 4/29 - 5/1, come on by. We'll be there again. Maybe you can get a sneak peek at the unannounced 2011 show :thumbup::worthy: .

My wife and I were on the checkout line at a Baltimore-area grocery store several years ago. My wife was wearing a Crossmen tour T-shirt.

The young man who was the cashier looked at the shirt and said.... "You guys are drum corps fans? I march with the Bluecoats!!!"

Now this was during the time when our longtime friend Larry Hershman was still involved with the 'Coats. So we mentioned Larry's name.... the young man referred to him as "Mr. Hershman"... which caused my wife and myself to laugh out loud, because we had never heard him called "Mr. Hershman" before! LOL

Turns out the young man at the cash register was part of a group of Baltimore-area kids who had gone out to Ohio to join the Bluecoats. Small world!

That's so cool! I went to the Indy Fairgrounds this weekend and saw about 110 Blue Stars. Of course, I was working the camp :tongue: .

Seriously, if you're in the area on 4/29 - 5/1, come on by. We'll be there again. Maybe you can get a sneak peek at the unannounced 2011 show :thumbup::worthy: .

and then head to bloomington and check out the scouts camp. learn more about unannounced shows.

i go to a small community college who's music ed is basically non existent (consists of 2 teachers and maybe 6 different classes, half being piano classes) and one day i was talking to the music prof. wearing a corps hoodie when another student came to talk to the same prof. the other student saw my hoodie and asked me if i had marched. just hearing the question at my school was a shock. it was a bigger shock to hear he marched a small open class corps and also went to my school.

in high school i had a history teacher/home room teacher in st louis before she retired who said she had a brother or brother in law who marched black knights. that was also a huge shock

A lady I work with and her husband are former Cedarburg Thunderbolt members (rifle & bari).

I found out when I heard her say to another "It's NOT marching band! It's Drum Corps!" :w00t:

Turns out we had competed against each other several times during early '70s.

Several years back I lived in Las Vegas - the apartment next door to me had two former Troopers.

My university supervisor marched drum corps back in the day! I no longer get nervous during observations. Strange given I teach English.