I learned something today from my daughter

Thats awesome that you are able to have a father, daughter moment with DCI. THATS FANTASTIC! :thumbup:

But I think a few posters need to also realize that a lot of kids are exposed to only the current drum corps shows. If you asked a current high school band student that marches shows of current effects to watch a 1970's dci show, they SADLY won't like what they see. Personally I love everything that has to do with dci (some rules are not good but thats a different subject). The point is kids are really into the more current style of drum corps. I just think some posters need to realize that 11 year old kids aren't going to sit here and look up shows from the 70's. However, I do like that her father let her choose what her style of drum corps, thats awesome! Power to ya man! :worthy:

I recall my preteen daughters liking my music. I was a genius to my daughters when they were under 13. Then when they became teenagers, they hated the music I liked. When they were teenagers, their Dad was the dumbest man on the planet. I apparently lost all my brain cells somewhere in that time period. I don't know where my brain cells went. Even their teenage friends were all smarter than me. Now my daughters are in their late twenties and all of a sudden they like my music once again, and apparently I've gotten smarter in the last 15 years. They actually tell me now that I'm smart. Apparently, those lost brain cells of mine have mysteriously regenerated themselves somehow. So go figure.

Edited by BRASSO

I recall my preteen daughters liking my music. I was a genius to my daughters when they were under 13. Then when they became teenagers, they hated the music I liked. When they were teenagers, their Dad was the dumbest man on the planet. I apparently lost all my brain cells somewhere in that time period. I don't know where my brain cells went. Even their teenage friends were all smarter than me. Now my daughters are in their late twenties and all of a sudden they like my music once again, and apparently I've gotten smarter in the last 15 years. They actually tell me now that I'm smart. Apparently, those lost brain cells of mine have mysteriously regenerated themselves somehow. So go figure.

So I'm picking up on your tongue in cheek presentation here...

Are you saying because her taste changed during age changes, that her likes and dislikes were somehow less relevent to you and she because she has NOW grown up and seen the light as to your great intellect and musical taste? So maybe for people between the ages of say 13 through 20 we should disallow them from opinion regarding taste, since it will change back to what we all want it to be eventually anyway... Hmmmmmmmmm...

So, are you saying children of this day and age are not intelligent? And in a sort of sense i'm in the same boat as you because a lot of current music now a days I don't like (but I would like to stick with discussions on drum corps). However, I will say I am happy that you have regenerated your brain cells because you wouldn't be able to type this :tongue: but yes as children grow (including me) we tend to become wiser and see the picture as a whole. I do hope that maybe this 11 year old girl falls in love with the older stuff, one can hope right?

So, are you saying children of this day and age are not intelligent? And in a sort of sense i'm in the same boat as you because a lot of current music now a days I don't like (but I would like to stick with discussions on drum corps). However, I will say I am happy that you have regenerated your brain cells because you wouldn't be able to type this :tongue: but yes as children grow (including me) we tend to become wiser and see the picture as a whole. I do hope that maybe this 11 year old girl falls in love with the older stuff, one can hope right?

personally. We are one of the few activities that many newer people dont respect the accomplishments of the past. when you are in any sport if you won gold you pretty much are that forever. In drum corps by monday it's like WHO!!!!...oh well........but the way I look at it is who cares which she likes as long as she does period. When they stop liking this activity in ANY form it will totally die

• Like 1

personally. We are one of the few activities that many newer people dont respect the accomplishments of the past. when you are in any sport if you won gold you pretty much are that forever. In drum corps by monday it's like WHO!!!!...oh well........but the way I look at it is who cares which she likes as long as she does period. When they stop liking this activity in ANY form it will totally die

And indeed you're correct, thats why I do my best to promote it right now. Like I said earlier there are things going on with DCI that I don't like, but I still have to support the people marching in these corps. I have had a discussion with one of my friends about it the common knowledge of this activity, like if you went up to a random person and asked them, "do you know what a drum and bugle corps is?" They wouldn't know. In fact in my music history class I wrote a paper on the history of The Cavaliers and the basic history of drum corps and DCI. My instructor, at first, HAD NO IDEA WHAT A DRUM CORPS WAS! A musical instructor had no idea... thats just horrible! So, I figure I need to talk to people and teach them about the activity... while I can.

Are you saying because her taste changed during age changes, that her likes and dislikes were somehow less relevent to you and she because she has NOW grown up and seen the light as to your great intellect and musical taste? So maybe for people between the ages of say 13 through 20 we should disallow them from opinion regarding taste, since it will change back to what we all want it to be eventually anyway... Hmmmmmmmmm...

Dang it I don't have the right to an opinion! :tongue:

"I really like that corps that did the horse show that you showed me (Crown 07)."

What this shows me is that if corps simplified their show themes to stuff like "The Horse Show"... then kids will like the shows. :tongue:

No. I didn't say that because somebody likes the music that I like they are smart, and if they don't like the music I like they are less smart. I never have acquainted one's taste in music with "intellect ". There is no corelationship whatsoever to one's musical tastes and intellect. Musical tastes are of a personal nature and are most subject to cultural influences more than anything else.Some Music lovers from some Continents don't even recognize Western Europeon Classical Composers as being much of anything at all.For example, If we grew up in China or Africa, we would not naturally be drawn to Western Classical Composition Music, nor we with African, Chinese, musical compositions if we grew up in the Western World. In either case, it is not a function of one's " intellect " at all. Furthermore, I draw no conclusions from anecdotal incidents of a personal nature at all regarding one's level of change in musical tastes whether it be a lot of change, or no change at all. I value and am interested in other people's opinions. If I didn't, I certainly wouldn't be reading people's opinions on a message board, now would I ? My comments were merely directed toward sharing how my daughters musical tastes tended to change over time. My musical tastes changed over time, although probably not as much... at least from my personal perspective, anyway. In either case, it is not unusual for teenagers to be somewhat rebellious in their teenage years with their parents ( I know, shocking, huh, they're becoming independent ) and I merely pointed out what happened in my case in this stage. As for what to draw from this ? Well, possibly that ones experience with a child is not indicative of a broader generalization regarding musical tastes... Of either the parent or the child. If daughters like or dislike Drum Corps music from any period from 1971 through 2010 from watching it on a DVD it means nothing more than what that solitary daughter likes. No more. No less. We value their opinions at all stages of their life on music, because you know why ? There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to ones personal taste in music. We draw no broader generalization conclusions from a personal anecdotal experience that is shared with us either., while still respecting that person's experience of what they liked or did not like. And what a person likes or dislikes in music... at any stage of life.. surely has nothing to do with one's " intellect ". Mine, or anyone else's for that matter.

Edited by BRASSO

No. I didn't say that because somebody likes the music that I like they are smart, and if they don't like the music I like they are less smart. I never have acquainted one's taste in music with "intellect ". There is no corelationship whatsoever to one's musical tastes and intellect. Musical tastes are of a personal nature and are most subject to cultural influences rather than anything else. Music lovers from some Continents don't even recognize Western Europeon Classical Composers as being much of anything at all. If we grew up in China or Africa, we would not naturally be drawn to Western Classical Composition Music, nor we with African, Chinese, musical compositions if we grew up in the Western World. In either case, it is not a function of one's " intellect " at all. Furthermore, I draw no conclusions from anecdotal incidentsof a personal nature at all regarding one's level of change in musical tastes whether it be a lot of change, or no change at all. I value people's opinions. If I Ddidn't I certainly wouldn't be reading people's opinions on a message board, now would I ? My comments were merely directed toward sharing how my daughters musical tastes tended to change over time. My musical tastes changed over time, although probably not as much... at least from my personal, perspective. In either case, it is not unusual for teenagers to be somewhat rebellious in their teenage years with their parents ( Iknow, shocking, huh, they're becoming independent ) and I merely pointed out what happened in my case in this stage. As for what to draw from this ? Well, possibly that ones experience with a child is not indicative of a broader generalization regarding musical tastes. If daughters like or dislike Drum Corps music from any period from 1971 through 2010 from watching it on a DVD it means nothing more than what that daughter likes. No more. No less. We value their opinions at all stages of their life on music, because you know why ? There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to ones personal taste in music. And it surely hasd nothing to do with one's " intellect ".

Unless youre on DCP then everyones an expert.... : :tongue: jk :lookaround:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Unless youre on DCP then everyones an expert.... : :tongue: jk :lookaround:

Yes. At one time, all the scientific geniuses in the universities convinced everybody that the earth was flat, despite most of the profs never having personally navigated beyond a few yards at best in a tiny canoe or rowboat up a lazy river. Quite the " experts " they.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1