Teal Sound 2011 April Camp

I can't fault any corps for playing within the boundaries of the rules. I may not particularly like it, but I can't fault the corps.

Now the rules, on the other hand....

• Like 1

The beauty of this instrument is that you can make it sound like whatever you want.

It's sort of like a synth that way.

So, sax players, or other players who know soprano sax fingerings ( they're the same as the other sax's and close to flute fingerings) can march corps instead of having to learn a new set of fingerings and gaining expertise in that instrument or any other new skill they would need to learn.

...and I'm NOT passing any judgement, just stating what many probably think is obvious.

lol NOBODY that plays that instrument will be marching. Trust me. Pit don't march fool! thumbup.gif

FWIW:

1) EWI's are legal.

2) That was just a rough demonstration of what it looks like.

3) No one would ever use that tiny little 12W amp.

4) That's not a patch you'll hear in the show.

5) Patches can be "solo" or "Mult-timbral" (more than one note simultaneously)

5) Fingering systems can be programmed. . . Flute/Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, Brass

6) Fidelity with an iPhone can't be the standard for the system you'll actually hear sounds through during the show. Do we really need to so completely miss the point? Would you bag on the Chicago Symphony Orchestra if you heard them on an AM radio at the beach???

7) It was kids having fun at a camp. It's not the future of DCI. It's a tool that we're allowed to use. Moderation and effective usage, as with anything, is the key.

There is little doubt they will get booed in Allentown.

There is little doubt the corps is getting better all the time.

Drum & Bugle Corps (in its strictest instrumental sense) no longer exists.

Teal Sound isn't responsible for that -- but isn't shy about moving down the cleared path.

The Drum Corps Experience will always exist.

See the show -- decide for yourself. Just don't bag on the kids -- they're great people, hard workers, and motivated, and they WILL perform their hearts out for you. :music:

Chuck Naffier

• Like 8

:worthy:

Second to Chuck's post. We just got the thing and the kids were fooling around with it.

As Chuck also said, we are just moving down a path already created by others, but, we may widen it a bit!

Please come and see the show and listen to our kids, who work as hard as any other corps, and then decide. If you don't like it after hearing it, then that's fine with us. We are willing to agree to disagree, are you?

Remember, at one point, everything except a no valve, standard issue military bugle in G, marching snares on slings, and a scotch bass drum were illegal.

• Like 7

See the show -- decide for yourself. Just don't bag on the kids -- they're great people, hard workers, and motivated, and they WILL perform their hearts out for you. :music:

Chuck Naffier

Beat of success to Teal Sound this season. And just so that there is no misunderstanding, rarely if ever, have we seen any poster here on DCP " bag on the kids " for decisions made by adults. The kids are not decision makers on what instruments are used nor restricted in the activity. Thus, they are immune from either the responsibility or criticism for such decisions. DCP'ers ALWAYS appreciate the hard work and motivation of the kids. It is understood by all that they are " great people ". We know the kids will " perform their hearts out " for us. We applaud their efforts for certain, even if some here ( or in the audience generally ) may have some genuine reservations or disagreements with the decisions made by the adults as to what to bring onto the field of DCI Drum Corps performance competition. Again, best of success to Teal Sound this season.

Edited by BRASSO

Remember, at one point, everything except a no valve, standard issue military bugle in G, marching snares on slings, and a scotch bass drum were illegal.

True. And also at " one point ", a woodwind instrument ( flute ) was the only instrument used in " real Drum Corps ", as the brass instrument " bugle " was believed my most to be properly utilized and resticted to simply calling the troops to formation, while the woodwind instrument " flute " was what was believed to be most properly utilized in the Drum Corps performance. Who knows, perhaps we'll come full circle one day once again in " real Drum Corps " with the snare drum, bass drum, and the woodwinds, and without the brass instruments. And who would object to that in the quest for experimental exploration ? If one is for " change ", and consistent, one would naturally be expected to be on board with " change " to this for Drum Corps as well.

Edited by BRASSO

FWIW:

1) EWI's are legal.

6) Fidelity with an iPhone can't be the standard for the system you'll actually hear sounds through during the show. Do we really need to so completely miss the point? Would you bag on the Chicago Symphony Orchestra if you heard them on an AM radio at the beach???

7) It was kids having fun at a camp. It's not the future of DCI. It's a tool that we're allowed to use. Moderation and effective usage, as with anything, is the key.

Teal Sound isn't responsible for that -- but isn't shy about moving down the cleared path.

Chuck Naffier

I gave this post a +1 but now I see that that has been taken away... who would give this man a negative?! He's doing great things for students and making our activity stronger in his own way.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I gave this post a +1 but now I see that that has been taken away... who would give this man a negative?! He's doing great things for students and making our activity stronger in his own way.

I think the +/- thing on posts is a waste of time (although it's quite obvious some users go nuts with it). I just ignore it. If a post is worth complimenting then it's worth a reply to do it. If the +/- vote was public I suspect many of the '-' votes would disappear. Lots of AC's on DCP.

And you're right -- Chuck is the real deal. Back in the good ol' RAMB days he was great contributor.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

FWIW:

1) EWI's are legal.

Chuck Naffier

I hope they don't get booed.