Bill Cook

RIP, Bill. You were definitely one of a kind, and our endless exchanges of lengthy emails taught me more about business than I've learned before or since ... And you only let me pay for breakfast once!

You only had to pay for breakfast once? I had to pay every other time we went out, and ice cream was always on me.

• Like 1

Rest in Peace.

RIP Bill Cook. One more small story of the man's incredible generosity:

At DCI Semi-Finals in 1992, he was working the crowd and just happened to sit in the empty seat next to me to watch SCV's performance. I think he was wearing an Uncle Sam outfit, but that might be my memory exaggerating things. He was definitely wearing a stars-and-stripes/Statue of Liberty tie he said was hand-painted by John Mellencamp. Anyway, we got into a long conversation (three corps, or almost an hour) about the about-to-retire Gail Royer and the future of SCV (and the future of Star, little did we know...). At some point he asked me where I was sitting for Finals. After hearing how awful my seat was (it was a last-minute-trip), he reached into his jacket pocket and comped me a 50-yard-line ticket under the press box.

• Like 2

I'm really glad I got a chance to meet Mr. Cook and shake his hand when we visited us a few times this summer during spring training... it wasn't just the drum corps community that lost a great man today.

I'm really glad I got a chance to meet Mr. Cook and shake his hand when we visited us a few times this summer during spring training... it wasn't just the drum corps community that lost a great man today.

Very well stated - his legacy goes much farther than just Star of Indiana or DCI.

Having said that..one of my fellow members, Russell Shartzer remarked, "Today, Star of Indiana lost its biggest fan."

Many nights about this time....I'd sit on the steps of the staff bus and chat with Bill while he was driving. That was definitely some time well spent. Without him, I'd have never met many of the best friends I could have ever hoped to have or had so much success in drum corps.

MYNWA and RIP Mr. Cook! You will indeed be missed.