Corps marching technique/style

With the increased speed, demand, velocity requirements on today's Corps marchers, some of us have noticed more mistakes in the marching fundamentals lately however. We've seen more out of step marchers, more spacing, drifting, intervals, distance and cover issues, and feet issues than perhaps other years. We also see more trips, falls and injuries than ever before. Even such shaky fundamentals as non uniformity of brass instrument positioning when not playing has been noticed with the experienced eye. Again, this is not entirely unexpected when the drill demands and visual patterns created have increased exponentially over the years. It is also difficult to have all marchers run in step in certain portions of the drill when running in formation becomes required. It is understandably difficult to maintain complete uniformity of technique when marchers of variant height are asked to run into formation and be completely in step with other marchers all the way to the next set formation. This all probably needs to be seen in the proper context however that the end result,... the clarity and beauty of the visual element,... is usually attained wonderfully and superbly by the top Corps marchers in the end.

It's easier to notice mistakes when almost EVERYONE is doing everything the exact same way. When the technique seems undefined it's not easy to spot out the individual.

• Like 1

Interesting note about Cavies from other styles of bent leg marching. Most designate where the foot will be on the pass, with something like "the toes are an inch off the ground" or "the heel is at the same height as the top of the shoe." What I remember about Cavies was that instead of this designation, the foot passes (I think) at the midway point between the heel and the knee. While I might be wrong on the actual height, what I found interesting about this is that because everyone's legs are so different, it often looks like there is no uniform to height for the pass. As a judge though, you can't say that any member is doing it wrong, since they are putting the effort into it.

Interesting concept that blew me away when I was teaching visual back in the day.

yeah, bent leg opens up the issue of different heights/ leg lengths etc.

Bent leg is cool because it looks the same going forwards and backwards. It can be cleaned, but the crossing counts are hard to define.

Straight leg doesn't look the same both ways, however it looks #### good when it's cleaned up.

It's easier to notice mistakes when almost EVERYONE is doing everything the exact same way. When the technique seems undefined it's not easy to spot out the individual.

Disagree on the spacing (distance, interval, cover) issues as that's the marcher not being in the exact location and not than feet/legs being/moving the same. Then again, differing styles within the corps BITD made it a bit harder to pick out phasing issues while moving. I've noticed early season spacing problems in DCA corps (haven't seen a DCI corps in a few years) that what would have been 'ticable' BITD during fast movements as the corps was still getting more comfortible with moving toward the next set (#### I'm using these new fangled terms) as a group. With the spped on the movement, it's blink twice and the problem was usually recovered.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Disagree on the spacing (distance, interval, cover) issues as that's the marcher not being in the exact location and not than feet/legs being/moving the same. Then again, differing styles within the corps BITD made it a bit harder to pick out phasing issues while moving. I've noticed early season spacing problems in DCA corps (haven't seen a DCI corps in a few years) that what would have been 'ticable' BITD during fast movements as the corps was still getting more comfortible with moving toward the next set (#### I'm using these new fangled terms) as a group. With the spped on the movement, it's blink twice and the problem was usually recovered.

oh i didn't say anything about spacing. I was talking about making mistakes. "hey that kid was a sixteenth late on his step-off". Easy to notice since 149 other people stepped off exactly together with impeccable technique.

oh i didn't say anything about spacing. I was talking about making mistakes. "hey that kid was a sixteenth late on his step-off". Easy to notice since 149 other people stepped off exactly together with impeccable technique.

As the Corps get larger, there are more marchers made available to us that we can notice when they make mistakes. Additionally, with the higher speeds now required in the drill, we see many more trips and falls by marchers in shows than ever before now too.... especially when the fields are wet. Again, this is not unexpected if we think about it. Higher demand, means more risk. More risk can give more reward, but it naturally leads to more tripping and falling on the part of marchers too, as the result. We also have seen more injuries as the result of more risk taking in the drill routines as well. Again, not entirely unexpected if we think about the implications of going " bigger, faster, more, etc ".

Edited by BRASSO

this seems like a good thread to ask this...

I have a question about Cavaliers-esque forward technique: do they use foot placements?

I only learned straight leg technique at the corps level (and not a corps that consistently hits 19+ in visual scores), but the HS band I work with uses bent leg going forward and [attempted] straight leg going backward. But they don't use foot placements. Currently they roll through count 8 and then pivot on count 1 to the new direction. This is a fairly good group (brings home trophies from spring trips, has played at BOA concert festival, Carnegie Hall, Kennedy Center, etc) but there is a lack of corps knowledge on the staff, which shows up in the visual scores.

I think adding foot placements will help clean up direction changes, if it is correct to use them with the bent leg forward technique. Also, is there a good simple rule to follow? Like, "foot placement is in the new direction up to 45 degrees. If new direction is more than 45 degrees, use 45 degree placement"???

Also, does this forward technique define the angle of the moving foot on the 'and' count (flexed vs. relaxed)? Or is it just whatever is natural?

Thanks for any insight.

this seems like a good thread to ask this...

I have a question about Cavaliers-esque forward technique: do they use foot placements?

I only learned straight leg technique at the corps level (and not a corps that consistently hits 19+ in visual scores), but the HS band I work with uses bent leg going forward and [attempted] straight leg going backward. But they don't use foot placements. Currently they roll through count 8 and then pivot on count 1 to the new direction. This is a fairly good group (brings home trophies from spring trips, has played at BOA concert festival, Carnegie Hall, Kennedy Center, etc) but there is a lack of corps knowledge on the staff, which shows up in the visual scores.

I think adding foot placements will help clean up direction changes, if it is correct to use them with the bent leg forward technique. Also, is there a good simple rule to follow? Like, "foot placement is in the new direction up to 45 degrees. If new direction is more than 45 degrees, use 45 degree placement"???

Also, does this forward technique define the angle of the moving foot on the 'and' count (flexed vs. relaxed)? Or is it just whatever is natural?

Thanks for any insight.

Hey there, to answer your question, no, they don't. The foot stays forward all the way through the roll forward, then the other foot changes direction. If you take a picture of someone at exactly count 8, you should not be able to tell if the marcher is going forwards, backwards, left or right, or halting. That's the beauty of the technique.

And to the second question, it's an always moving thing. It's supposed to be relaxed at the "and" count, but if the roll through is done properly, then the foot should travel through "flexed/ relaxed/ pointed" as it travels through to the next step.

Edited by fsubone

Cavaliers technique: What technique? Pick em' up and put em' down. Judges will imagine that they see a technique and give us credit for it because the drill is clean.

Cadets technique: cut out your knees and insert springs (although their technique is starting to become the crown technique) (the majority of the falls I see during the season come from the Cadets, but to their credit, their drill is pretty ridiculous most of the time)

Blue Devils technique: straight legs, no bounce, and no dirt. they march the hardest drill in dci, and make it look the easiest because of the minimalistic approach of their technique

SCV technique: unique. that's about it, it's bent leg, but not at all like Cavaliers. How they manage to define that technique is beyond me, but they make it work

Phantom technique: same as crown, but with a really "low" or more squatted jazz run

Crown and most of the other corps in World Class: straight leg, with slight bending between downbeats. Legs are kept "long" or "extended." Classic, looks great, and is easier to clean than most of the other techniques.

This is an extreme oversimplification of the different techniques, but if you sit in the stands and watch all the corps, this is what you will see.

• Like 3