Corps marching technique/style

oh i didn't say anything about spacing. I was talking about making mistakes. "hey that kid was a sixteenth late on his step-off". Easy to notice since 149 other people stepped off exactly together with impeccable technique.

OK now I understand. The spacing issues were mentioned in the post you replied to and that's why I thought you included that in your "mistakes now more easily spotted".

Interesting now how the same (in some corps a unique) style in impressed on these days. LOL, no longer having to worry about M&M (Marching & Manuvering) tics anymore gave drill people more time to work on style. Instead of working on moving together, the time is spent looking the same. Just another change over the decades (OK who wants to say evolution :tongue: ).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Most corps try to emulate what BD does, where the legs are straight and extended on the downbeats, and SLIGHTLY bent on the crossing count. The technique is all about minimizing motion so there isn't any unnecessary movement. It's most efficient and clean looking on top of being easiest to clean. It also looks BA when you do it right. IMO completely straight leg, and crazy bent leg makes you look like a dork :tongue:

• Like 2

Most corps try to emulate what BD does, where the legs are straight and extended on the downbeats, and SLIGHTLY bent on the crossing count. The technique is all about minimizing motion so there isn't any unnecessary movement. It's most efficient and clean looking on top of being easiest to clean. It also looks BA when you do it right. IMO completely straight leg, and crazy bent leg makes you look like a dork :tongue:

What's "crossing count"? Only guesses I have make no sense... :blink:

Cavaliers technique: What technique? Pick em' up and put em' down. Judges will imagine that they see a technique and give us credit for it because the drill is clean.

Cadets technique: cut out your knees and insert springs (although their technique is starting to become the crown technique) (the majority of the falls I see during the season come from the Cadets, but to their credit, their drill is pretty ridiculous most of the time)

Blue Devils technique: straight legs, no bounce, and no dirt. they march the hardest drill in dci, and make it look the easiest because of the minimalistic approach of their technique

SCV technique: unique. that's about it, it's bent leg, but not at all like Cavaliers. How they manage to define that technique is beyond me, but they make it work

Phantom technique: same as crown, but with a really "low" or more squatted jazz run

Crown and most of the other corps in World Class: straight leg, with slight bending between downbeats. Legs are kept "long" or "extended." Classic, looks great, and is easier to clean than most of the other techniques.

This is an extreme oversimplification of the different techniques, but if you sit in the stands and watch all the corps, this is what you will see.

I agree with this.

What's "crossing count"? Only guesses I have make no sense... :blink:

The crossing count occurs when the foot in the back passes the standing leg on its way to placing the heel on the next stride. If it takes one full beat to take a step, the crossing occurs on the "AND" subdivision of the beat.

The crossing count occurs when the foot in the back passes the standing leg on its way to placing the heel on the next stride. If it takes one full beat to take a step, the crossing occurs on the "AND" subdivision of the beat.

OK, kinda though that but.... it made too much sense.. :tongue:

LOL, my college band would have had it on probably the "e" of 1-e-and-ah....

Cavaliers technique: What technique? Pick em' up and put em' down. Judges will imagine that they see a technique and give us credit for it because the drill is clean.

Cadets technique: cut out your knees and insert springs (although their technique is starting to become the crown technique) (the majority of the falls I see during the season come from the Cadets, but to their credit, their drill is pretty ridiculous most of the time)

Blue Devils technique: straight legs, no bounce, and no dirt. they march the hardest drill in dci, and make it look the easiest because of the minimalistic approach of their technique

SCV technique: unique. that's about it, it's bent leg, but not at all like Cavaliers. How they manage to define that technique is beyond me, but they make it work

Phantom technique: same as crown, but with a really "low" or more squatted jazz run

Crown and most of the other corps in World Class: straight leg, with slight bending between downbeats. Legs are kept "long" or "extended." Classic, looks great, and is easier to clean than most of the other techniques.

This is an extreme oversimplification of the different techniques, but if you sit in the stands and watch all the corps, this is what you will see.

lmao this is classic

I think you forgot to use the sarcasm font there.

If you actually take a look at what their marching, and not just the forms, you will agree with him. They had one phrase in their show last year where the entire horn line was marching I believe great than an 8 to 5, and the phrase went on FOREVER. I'll have to watch it again to get the exact counts. But that is just one example. Their drill might not be crazy rotations and pass throughs, it is more about staging for them, and making sure everything on the field is where it needs to be. And they also make their drill look easy because they march the cleanest and use the least effort.

• Like 4