Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

When that potential marcher finds out there are a few hundred others who want to march Corps A, perhaps Corps Z might look like an attractive alternative. However, anything that gets them interested in marching a drum corps is a good thing.

Believe it not Mike...I was anticipating this exact response. That any new fans/members partaking in DCI is a good thing. I just don't like the vibe of this. It's like the non-top 12 corps are promoting to get more people/fans in the seats for finals..to watch the top twelve corps. When in reality..we need more fans in attendance at the Thursday and Friday shows. Perhaps the G-8 should hold a parade or concert on Wednesday...you know..to promote people to attend Thursday's and Friday's shows...

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 2

God that's weak. How many kids who've never been exposed to corps before will make a top 12 corps their first try?

You obviously totally missed what I was saying. I am speaking to the current hard working members of Spirit....because in my example I have them placing outside of the top 12 in 2011....

Edited by Triple Forte

Wednesday is no longer I & E day, that is now not even in Indy or at the end of the season but earlier in San Antonio IIRC. There is a kickoff party Wednesday night in downtown Indy and if there's going to be a parade, I can't think of a better way to start the festivities.

Open Class I&E is scheduled for Wednesday in Michigan City.

I can't believe how many crybabies on this thread.

Try growing up in New Orleans where you usually marched 15 parades ( between drum corps and your high school band ) in 11 days. No not these little dinky drum corps parades but parades that were minimum 5 miles long and sometimes as much as 8 miles.

We always laughed at how short drm corps parades were on tour and none of us were in the shape these kids are today.

Oh gee, the humility of having to march around the block...............

:rock::doh:

LOL, memories of when my corps competed in both DCA and RCA (lesser corps circuit). DCA we'd come in last and RCA we'd be first or second. Before last run thru at the parking lot (aka drill field) we'd get the info for the next show. One night we heard:

BusMang: Show is at .....

Newbie: Is this DCA or RCA?

BusMang: DCA

Newbie <turn on whiney voice): Why do we have to do another DCA show and get our heads kicked in? Why can't we do RCA and WIN for once?

BusMang: (after a few seconds silence.... which was never a good sign) Because we get PAID more for coming in last at DCA than winning at RCA... THAT'S WHY!!!

Same reason we never asked why we did boo-chu parades back then. Answer was always "The checks clear the bank".

Guess Mr Spock was a schmuck then with "Needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I remember watching parades in both Madison and Orlando. Every drum corps fan I know liked the parade and it exposed our activty to significant numbers of the general public.

Sounds like a win-win.

Those parades were at the begining/middle of the week before quaters.

Believe it not Mike...I was anticipating this exact response. That any new fans/members partaking in DCI is a good thing. I just don't like the vibe of this. It's like the non-top 12 corps are promoting to get more people/fans in the seats for finals..to watch the top twelve corps. When in reality..we need more fans in attendance at the Thursday and Friday shows. Perhaps the G-8 should hold a parade or concert on Wednesday...you know..to promote people to attend Thursday's and Friday's shows...

I'd be surprised if that wasn't considered. I'm speculating here, but I think it's more likely to get more people during Championships week to come out to an early Saturday parade than an evening weekday parade.

Big diff between SCV not making Finals or an OC corps not being in the Saturday night big show.

And the post said kids live to perform.... not kids live to parade.....

and the post was using "perform" to suggest any appearance in uniform, that there is some sort of equivalence between a show and a parade, b/c they are both a performance. IMO it is disingenuous to suggest kids feel the same about being in a parade and marching a show.

perhaps we could give the top 8 average scores from the regionals a "bye" into the Friday show (semi finals), and then on Thursday DCI can push back the schedule and start later. Then before the show, the top 8 can have a parade to generate more interest!

and the post was using "perform" to suggest any appearance in uniform, that there is some sort of equivalence between a show and a parade, b/c they are both a performance. IMO it is disingenuous to suggest kids feel the same about being in a parade and marching a show.

Well I'll let the lady answer on her intent as I didn't read that in her post.

But personally I'd rather do something with my corps after being done with the competitive season that just hanging it up and going home.

Really? Don't know how you came to the conclusion that I think a field performance and a parade are "equivalent". Gee, you'd think that after 40+ years associated with Drum Corps I would know the difference :rolleyes:. I also think that anyone who loves to "perform" has it in their hearts and in their blood. Doesn't matter if they're in uniform or not. Doesn't matter if they are on the field or on the street or in a parking lot. Saying that I am "disingenuous" in feeling this way is, well, disingenuous, don't you think? I know full well the difference of being on the field and marching in a street. Been there, done that. I loved being on the field, perhaps not as much on the street in all honesty . However, when we were actually there "performing" in a parade and hearing the cheers and seeing the smiles of the "audience", it made me feel proud of what I was doing and also proud of the organization I belonged to. So, don't presume to know me just by a few posts of mine... We're getting way off topic now so let's end this here, shall we?

Oh, just to lighten things up a bit, here is SCV in '72 at West Allis speedway actually "performing" a field show on a "street"... so to speak. I'm the second flag from the front.:cool:

WestAllis71.jpg

Dang can't resist... My favorite Parade of all...

TOR04.jpg

Last flag on left

TORparade2004jpg35.jpg