Drum Corps Parade on Finals Day

Hey - CNN reported the G7 debacle!

Right you are, now that I think about it.. ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO

PLEASE explain to me how your drum corps (with your corps name readable to the people along the parade route) is going to give any PR to one of the Finalist Corps?

IMO, many of the people along the parade route will NOT be able to tell you who is in finals in the Lucas Oil Stadium - but they WILL be able to tell you who they liked in this parade.

Again, corps need to have their name banners front and center so the corps gets the proper credit from the crowd.

People read those banners at the front of a marching group!

BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I can't see how (for example) Pioneer's appearance in a Drum Corps parade lets everyone know about and feel good about the Blue Devils or Carolina Crown? Do they also carry banners for the corps that are not participating?

ONLY the participating corps get the recognition and love of the crowd!

Extra tickets sold for the G8?

Hardly!

....but what if someone starts a brand new drum corps 'summer career' because of seeing a corps in parade?

THAT is outreach!

• Like 2

Never underestimate the power of a parade. :smile:

My thoughts on the Wednesday parade Mike were more on getting Drum Corps people to arrive earlier, not just for the finals, and all the additional income generated for all parties involved. The local residents will be there for a Wed. or Sat. parade.

I was just imagining what could happen if there was a parade in Indy during DCI and the corps decided not to participate:

High school band marches by... someone remarks, "wow, they're great"... DCI fan standing nearby says, "nah, they're nothing, you should see some of the drumcorps here in town for the DCI championships"... bystander asks: "oh? how come none of them are in the parade?"... DCI fan answers: "they're too good"... bystander asks: "wow, what sort of stuff do they do in parades that's so much better?"... fan answers: "well, they'd have to practice and prepare something, but if they did it would be lots better". :tongue:

• Like 3

<<"No top 12 will be in it? No thanks.">>

The average citizen DCI wishes to inform about drum corps isn't going to know Blue Devils from bleu cheese. This is a chance to hook them and encourage them to learn more about the activity. I remember reading about someone who first was introduced to drum corps when his parents took him to a parade 22 miles from where he lived. He was so captivated, he begged his father to take him back that night for the drum corps show someone standing next to him on the parade route had mentioned. He went on to make a few contributions to drum corps, which he claims changed his life.

Let's play out this scenario (Which could definitely happen...IMO). Let's say a fourteen year old band kid and his parents attend the parade and it is their first ever exposure to drum corps. Spirit marches by...and this particular fourteen year old is in complete awe of what he/she see's or hears. The band kid says..."I want to march with this corps...there awesome". The three of them decide to go to the DCI finals. The first ting the fourteen year notices is that Spirit is not in the show. Also, after watching the higher scoring corps (For 2011)....this same fourteen year old says...WOW...I have to march with Crown. Great...Spirit created the buzz....yet Crown trumps Spirit and gets the credit (If you will) and a potential member..... :thumbdown:

Since the G-8 consider themselves to be on some higher plain then the other member corps...let "Them" represent the activity !!

No disrespect to Spirit...you could very well make finals in 2011...... :thumbup:

Edited by Triple Forte

My thoughts on the Wednesday parade Mike were more on getting Drum Corps people to arrive earlier, not just for the finals, and all the additional income generated for all parties involved. The local residents will be there for a Wed. or Sat. parade.

Okay, I understand your point.

Here's what I wish to ask those reading to see what would really happen...

If you were scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis sometime after Wednesday (or Wednesday night, but too late to get downtown to watch a night parade), would you change your flight and be willing to pay for additional lodging in order to see such a parade? Please be honest about what you would do.

Let's play out this scenario (Which could definitely happen...IMO). Let's say a fourteen year old band kid and his parents attend the parade and it is their first ever exposure to drum corps. Spirit marches by...and this particular fourteen year old is in complete awe of what he/she see's or hears. The band kid says..."I want to march with this corps...there awesome". The three of them decide to go to the DCI finals. The first ting the fourteen year notices is that Spirit is not in the show. Also, after watching the higher scoring corps (For 2011)....this same fourteen year old says...WOW...I have to march with Crown. Great...Spirit created the buzz....yet Crown trumps Spirit and gets the credit (If you will) and a potential member..... :thumbdown:

Since the G-8 consider themselves to be on some higher plain then the other member corps...let "Them" represent the activity !!

No disrespect to Spirit...you could very well make finals in 2011...... :thumbup:

When that potential marcher finds out there are a few hundred others who want to march Corps A, perhaps Corps Z might look like an attractive alternative. However, anything that gets them interested in marching a drum corps is a good thing.

Edited by Michael Boo

Okay, I understand your point.

Here's what I wish to ask those reading to see what would really happen...

If you were scheduled to arrive in Indianapolis sometime after Wednesday (or Wednesday night, but too late to get downtown to watch a night parade), would you change your flight and be willing to pay for additional lodging in order to see such a parade? Please be honest about what you would do.

If scheduled to watch Thurs. - Sat., yes, I'd add another day. If only coming for Finals, because of costs/other comittments, probably not.

Edited by Ghost

Dang, what is with all this crying and moaning about one friggin' PARADE!!! Those who will be marching will B!^$& and moan about it because that is what Kids do when they have to do what they don't want to. But they'll DO IT, and I bet they'll do it WELL!

The thing is, their season is OVER as far as practicing and getting ready for a Show. Believe me, they can handle it and they'll get OVER IT! It will promote the activity to those who have no clue what it is all about and the kids will get one last chance to perform for the people. Isn't that what everyone who marches LIVES FOR?

Now, think about this. I bet most of the Corps that haven't made it to finals have kids in it that aren't all 19 to 21 years old. Don't you think that Just Maybe a 14 year old would see the younger kids in these corps and think "Hey, if someone MY age can do something that looks and sounds so cool, maybe I can too!". How's that for a dreamed up scenerio?

As for having the Parade on Wednesday, isn't I&E that day, or not? Wouldn't it be hard to have a parade since that is an all day thing anyway?

O.K... rant done, carry on...

OH! How terrible it is that these young children have their own preferences and aspirations... don't they realize that they are hurting lower placing corps by not wanting to march in them?! /sarcasm

Edited by charlie1223