Phantom 2010 Music

So did composers like J.S. Bach.

Movie executives likely hired Kamen for movie scores because he "sounded like Kamen." If he gave them something original and unique, it may have defeated the reason they hired him.

But then, how many movies out there are recycled versions of movies already done?

Umm... What is "almost, if not exactly, all of them"?

:huh:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

horner used the cue from ST: II shown above from 2:20-3:00 EXACTLY in his soundtrack for Cocoon when the ship comes down to pick up the aliens. not just similar, but exact.

kamen did something similar with a lot of cues from Band of Brothers in New Moon in Old Moon's Arms, but at least he changed the chords slightly and phrased them slightly differently.

Edited by Lance

lol. I saw what you were saying completely, mike. i'm just more wry than usual today.

hope things went as well as they could at mr cook's wake.

Wry is good. Things went very well at the wake, thank you. The Indianapolis Star wrote there were about 5000 people there.

My reference was to a class session I had that analyzed where J.S. Bach's melodies and various treatments came from. Having to write a cantata every week, it was inevitable that things got borrowed and recycled. Kamen's recycling perhaps was a result of a healthy paycheck and the feeling that if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

And if anyone out there can take an excerpt from an audio tape and convert it to CD, I've got something for Lance he's been looking for, but he no longer has a tape player.

Weird. I hadn't noticed this recent thread, but was listening this evening to the 2002 finalists. In successive tracks (albeit on two different disks), I was first reminded that the Bluecoats had played the "New World Overture" from Dancer in the Dark, that was performed by 2005 Cadets in a show lately extolled by Michael Boo, and then I was startled by the Glassmen's second selection, sounding so familiar: this is apparently the first movement from Kamen's Millennium Symphony, and it is very like some passages in Phantom Regiment's 2010 show.

Weird. I hadn't noticed this recent thread, but was listening this evening to the 2002 finalists. In successive tracks (albeit on two different disks), I was first reminded that the Bluecoats had played the "New World Overture" from Dancer in the Dark, that was performed by 2005 Cadets in a show lately extolled by Michael Boo, and then I was startled by the Glassmen's second selection, sounding so familiar: this is apparently the first movement from Kamen's Millennium Symphony, and it is very like some passages in Phantom Regiment's 2010 show.

glassmen actually played some new moon in the old moons arms that year, I remember when it was announced, I don't know why it isn't on corpsreps if it isn't. They even played parts of the work that Phantom didn't.... the movement with the flugelhorn solo is actually from new moon in the old moons arms.

Kamen composed both Band of Brothers and New Moon around the same time, and pretty clearly used the same orchestrations in both. No harm there, I guess - same composer and all. It's his right to flesh it out however he wants.

And yes, Glassmen in '02 used "The Prayer" from New Moon as their ballad - I was kind of surprised Phantom *didn't* use it. But musically, it doesn't fit so well with the other movements, so I can see what they were going for there.

Mike

Much of the music from Band of Brothers has a very "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" feel as well.

As has been pointed out, Kamen, as well as many other composers borrow from themselves all the time.

John Williams has plagiarized himself for 50 years.

As far as what influenced what in the Kamen, "New Moon" was published in 1999, and Band of Brothers Came out in either 2002 or 2003, so it is likely that "New Moon" came first.

That being said, it is still incredible music, and in both contexts-the tone poem usage for "New Moon" and "Band of Brothers"-are used very well.

• Like 1

Another example.

tchaikovsky

1812 overture uses material from slavonic march. ... but i guess it's from God Save the Tsar

I looked on Wiki at both pieces - they both quote the tune God Save the Tzar. I'm guessing that's the overlap between them. However, the article does say of March Slave, "The piece shares a few refrains with the 1812 Overture, with which it is frequently paired in performance."

Mike