Best Brass Sound and Brass Exec. of All Time

I wholeheartedly agree!

I'm finding it hard to believe that Suncoast (as a whole) has only popped up a couple times in this thread.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

The 1988 and 1993 Blue Devils called to say how much they are laughing at this thread, after being texted by 1985 Suncoast Sound.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Love it John! Thinking the same thoughts, with maybe a mention of Suncoast 83 as well (at least in book/execution)

I'm finding it hard to believe that Suncoast (as a whole) has only popped up a couple times in this thread.

Eh, we are the Olds Randy. I would venture to guess that many many folks on these here DCPs have never heard of, much less heard Suncoast. Well, until the last couple days at least.

Purity and overall total balance and blend plus nuance control: 1984 Suncoast

Musicality, complexity of book and all around depth of sound: 1986 BD

Most impactful: 1990 Star

Best Tone Quality: 2008 Crown

Best Technical playing lines: 1984 Garfield, 1993 Star, BD (countless years)

Standout best line I ever heard in all areas: 1988 Dev's

Purity and overall total balance and blend plus nuance control: 1984 Suncoast

Musicality, complexity of book and all around depth of sound: 1986 BD

Most impactful: 1990 Star

Best Tone Quality: 2008 Crown

Best Technical playing lines: 1984 Garfield, 1993 Star, BD (countless years)

Standout best line I ever heard in all areas: 1988 Dev's

Pretty hard to argue with any of that, really.

I had the pleasure of marching with two Guardsmen vets while at SCV (one was our DM in '84, the other was a lady FH player from '79 with mucho intestinal fortitude; cute too!) and being taught by one of their instructors (Tim Salzmann, who idolized Sandra Opie.) My picks are:Execution: '79 Guardsmen

Thanks for the bump! What was the horn players name?

Oh, I'm sorry. The correct answer is 1980 Spirit of Atlanta. We have some lovely parting gifts for you though...

:worthy:

John, I do miss you being around!

It's a shame that the actual innovators never really get the credit they deserve. It always seems to go to the next group after the first one takes all the lumps, all the "well, back when we...", and bumps of figuring it all out. Would mid to late 80's Cavies had happened if Tim Salzman and Jim Campbell hadn't first worked together with Guardsmen? How many other shows might not have happened if Suncoast 88 hadn't happened?

And the people responsible for much of the innovation? How many of us have been bettered by Tim Salzman, Jim Campbell, Jim Ott, Frank Williams, and Robert Smith (just to name a few that affected me personally)?

I know we can't live in the past, but giving credit where it is do, and remembering the people who made today possible is really important. I owe a debt to Truman Crawford, Sandra Opie, and many others for the things they made possible for me. Drum corps has not existed just since 2000, just as it will also continue to exist after we are gone from the activity (hopefully!).

Thanks for the bump! What was the horn players name?

Steve,

It took me a awhile but her first name was Kristen-- she was blond, about 5'6", cute, sweet gal, again cute, and a phenomenal FH player who aged out with SCV in '84. I remember her "aw shucks guys" reaction to being one of the four ladies we had in the brass section, as '84 was the first year SCV fielded a co-ed hornline. I recall asking her where she had marched, and she said simply that Tim had taught her in '79 "and stuff"-- really humble and low key. I think I blurted out some "Holy smoke, a Guardsmen Goddess!" reply when I made the connection, and she blushed.

Without waxing too nostalgic, you can hear Tim's influence from '82 SCV on from the pyramid of sound approach that another member mentioned, and the fact that Tim was unafraid to "Turn up the amp to 11," to paraphrase Nigel Tuffnell from Spinal Tap. There were a number of Top 12 corps of that period that where the words "loud" and their name were synonymous-- Madison "Loud", BD "Loud", PR "Loud", Spirit "Loud"-- and Tim firmly established SCV in that same conversation. Tim arranged for Sandra Opie to do a clinic for us, and after one "OMG" session we all understood why it was Tim idolized her.

1995 Madison..............a soprano line to die for!

• Like 1