Cadets2

I just want a GOOD reason other than "they don't have(want) to" to not open it up to all ages. I haven't seen one yet. I understand they don't have to give one. I just want one. Because to me it makes sense to open it up to all ages. They will still get what they want out of the organization.

ok lets try this ....maybe they dont want to serve above say 22 or 23 because it doesnt serve the cadets in way of recruitment for the other corps.OR maybe they dont want to get into the whole adult thing and whatever issues may come with it.

I just want a GOOD reason other than "they don't have(want) to" to not open it up to all ages. I haven't seen one yet. I understand they don't have to give one. I just want one. Because to me it makes sense to open it up to all ages. They will still get what they want out of the organization.

Maybe we have different ideas of what they want out of the organization.

My understanding is that they are looking to create a way for kids/youth to have a Cadet experience, specifically youth who are local, and can not afford the time or money to march a summer tour.

If this is their goal, opening it up to all ages doesn't seem like it would help them achieve their goals.

Edited by CuriousMe

Maybe we have different ideas of what they want out of the organization.

My understanding is that they are looking to allow more kids/youth to have a Cadet experience, specifically youth who are local, and can not afford the time or money to march a summer tour.

If this is their goal, opening it up to all ages doesn't seem like it would help them achieve their goals.

That is the goal, but they can't even fill the corps they have now every year. The same with the corps already in the region who have the same model as Cadets2. The region has a lot of DCA corps, and they struggle to fill their ranks. Yes Cadets2 being a part of the Cadets organization will have a little more draw, maybe. But I still think they will have trouble filling the ranks. If they open it up to all ages, or even just open it up to 30 or something I feel like everyone would benefit more. The young ones would benefit from the older vets who have marched before. The goal for many members marching Cadets2 will be to eventually make the A corps. Like BDB, SCV Cadets, and like Surf sort of acts like now. The corps will probably turnover a good amount of people every year. You need that leadership. You need the people who have marched multiple years for it to grow into a successful corps. That is why the 12- whatever DCI WC corps, and open class corps have so much trouble moving up and building consistency. The members go on to march somewhere else with a top corps. Heck people go to bucs, or cabs, or wherever, get the training, go march DCI, then come back and march with the same DCA corps for a few years.

I just don't see it working out, and growing when they can't keep a consistent member base.

So I see it as the goal they stated, which it will be. But it also will serve as every non DCI top 8 drum corps around the country serves right now.

I don't believe they will build the Cadet experience without a consistent membership base, to grow leaders, and keep them in the organization.... hell, how long did it take to finally get the current Cadets to where they are now?

• Like 1

I just see the corps purpose becoming more than what their stated goals are.

I just see the corps purpose becoming more than what their stated goals are.

If for some reason it doesnt work out for them I would think they would just drop it. I dont think they are looking for the next ALL AGE meaning ALL AGES drum corps.

• Like 1

That is the goal, but they can't even fill the corps they have now every year. The same with the corps already in the region who have the same model as Cadets2. The region has a lot of DCA corps, and they struggle to fill their ranks. Yes Cadets2 being a part of the Cadets organization will have a little more draw, maybe. But I still think they will have trouble filling the ranks. If they open it up to all ages, or even just open it up to 30 or something I feel like everyone would benefit more. The young ones would benefit from the older vets who have marched before. The goal for many members marching Cadets2 will be to eventually make the A corps. Like BDB, SCV Cadets, and like Surf sort of acts like now. The corps will probably turnover a good amount of people every year. You need that leadership. You need the people who have marched multiple years for it to grow into a successful corps. That is why the 12- whatever DCI WC corps, and open class corps have so much trouble moving up and building consistency. The members go on to march somewhere else with a top corps. Heck people go to bucs, or cabs, or wherever, get the training, go march DCI, then come back and march with the same DCA corps for a few years.

I just don't see it working out, and growing when they can't keep a consistent member base.

So I see it as the goal they stated, which it will be. But it also will serve as every non DCI top 8 drum corps around the country serves right now.

I don't believe they will build the Cadet experience without a consistent membership base, to grow leaders, and keep them in the organization.... hell, how long did it take to finally get the current Cadets to where they are now?

First of all, it's not like there aren't people coming to audition for Cadets so they can't "fill" the corps. If I remember correctly they were specifically looking for a lead sop. They're just looking for a person with the right skills and the right fit.

I guess I really don't see Cadet2 being that much of a feeder corps (yes, I know I'm in the minority here). I think there will be a different demographic of local kids who can't swing a summer tour for whom the weekend drum corps model will work well and they will go back to Cadets2 for several years. Sure, some may want to audition for Cadets, maybe as an age-out, but I think for most, if they want to go on tour....they're not going to want Cadets2, and if they can't go on tour, they're not going to want Cadets. I certainly don't see Cadets2 as having a greater turnover than Cadets do...and they're pretty good about creating a Cadet experience.

I also think that through USSBA, YEA has the opportunity to bring in kids to Cadets2, who wouldn't normally think of marching DCA. You may be right and this won't be enough to fill the corps...but the only way to find out is to try.

Edited by CuriousMe

If for some reason it doesnt work out for them I would think they would just drop it. I dont think they are looking for the next ALL AGE meaning ALL AGES drum corps.

That's fair. They very well may do that. I think it would be cool if they stuck around to do the all age thing. I'm all for the more corps the better, it would be better if it wasn't right in this area, but it can work in the area. There is enough interest, especially if they expand their age restrictions.

First of all, it's not like there aren't people coming to audition for Cadets so they can't "fill" the corps. If I remember correctly they were specifically looking for a lead sop. They're just looking for a person with the right skills and the right fit.

I guess I really don't see Cadet2 being that much of a feeder corps (yes, I know I'm in the minority here). I think there will be a different demographic of local kids who can't swing a summer tour for whom the weekend drum corps model will work well and they will go back to Cadets2 for several years. Sure, some may want to audition for Cadets, maybe as an age-out, but I think for most, if they want to go on tour....they're not going to want Cadets2, and if they can't go on tour, they're not going to want Cadets. I certainly don't see Cadets2 as having a greater turnover than Cadets do...and they're pretty good about creating a Cadet experience.

I also think that through USSBA, YEA has the opportunity to bring in kids to Cadets2, who wouldn't normally think of marching DCA. You may be right and this won't be enough to fill the corps...but the only way to find out is to try.

Honestly, I would love for it to work the way you see it. And we won't know who is right until it actually happens. I just see it more happening the way I described. And there really isn't anything out there supporting either of our sides more than the other.

And about not being able to fill their own line... I haven't been following them through the winter as close this year, but I know is some recent past years they had a little trouble filling things out. Along with a lot of other top corps.... but that can be for numerous reasons, one being cost. Which may be the saving grace for Cadets2. It will be interesting to see just how much it is going to cost, especially compared to Bucs, Cabs, and Surf. Maybe because of the cost, more people will turn up at Cadets2 camp than Cadets camp.

There are a lot of interesting things that could happen with this. And leave it to Hop to test the waters. The fact that there are a lot of possible outcomes, and the fact that George Hopkins is involved, is why there is so much talk about this. Can't wait to see how it turns out. And above all I hope it succeeds one way or another.

Honestly, I would love for it to work the way you see it. And we won't know who is right until it actually happens. I just see it more happening the way I described. And there really isn't anything out there supporting either of our sides more than the other.

And about not being able to fill their own line... I haven't been following them through the winter as close this year, but I know is some recent past years they had a little trouble filling things out. Along with a lot of other top corps.... but that can be for numerous reasons, one being cost. Which may be the saving grace for Cadets2. It will be interesting to see just how much it is going to cost, especially compared to Bucs, Cabs, and Surf. Maybe because of the cost, more people will turn up at Cadets2 camp than Cadets camp.

There are a lot of interesting things that could happen with this. And leave it to Hop to test the waters. The fact that there are a lot of possible outcomes, and the fact that George Hopkins is involved, is why there is so much talk about this. Can't wait to see how it turns out. And above all I hope it succeeds one way or another.

im pretty sure he said $1000.00 or something around that. Which Im sure is less than most other all age corps but a lot less then Cadets