Cadets2

Yes I know this. Then why are the Cadets even a part of YEA? It doesn't really cater to the youth. My point is that the youth argument is doesn't fit, for those that are making it. They already have an organization that really isn't youth concentrated.

well whats youth....6-8yr olds.....10-15....15-20....hell i think 20s is still very YOUTHFUL.....dont you think they should define what YOUTH they will serve.or the paramaters.....its like some of us here ( maybe me included at times ) wants to write the rules as WE see fit for someones elses group.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :blow:

Edited by GUARDLING

I'm sorry for misunderstanding your post, I guess i must still be in shock at agreeing with you both about your views in this thread. It's not often I have the same point of view as you two!!

Welcome to the dark side! emstarwars28.gif

Yes I know this. Then why are the Cadets even a part of YEA? It doesn't really cater to the youth. My point is that the youth argument is doesn't fit, for those that are making it. They already have an organization that really isn't youth concentrated.

Whether you agree with the nomenclature or not, DCI is considered a youth activity. As a DCI corps, Cadets are also considered a youth organization.

I'm sick of the "Youth" argument. If YEA was actually a youth organization it would cater to people younger that 18-22. Which is probably the majority of the Cadets organization now. Yes it all depends on how you define Youth... but technically the majority of people who march Cadets are adults. Young adults, but adults. So it doesn't really matter what age of people are in the new corps. Since any top corps in DCI is not really a youth organization. Yes there are always outliers.

While the Cadets average age is in the 20+ range, I bet 80% of the kids who participate in YEA! sponsored activities are under 18.

• Like 1

While the Cadets average age is in the 20+ range, I bet 80% of the kids who participate in YEA! sponsored activities are under 18.

Yet, I am talking about the drum corps side of YEA!. People are making the argument for the age restriction because it is "Youth" Education in Arts. IMO the average age of the Cadets does not really go along to the whole youth thing. A 20 year old and a 30 year old are A TON closer in age than a 16 year old and a 20 year old (in most cases). I'm just saying that the "Youth" argument doesn't really work for me. Age is a lot more than just a number.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Yet, I am talking about the drum corps side of YEA!. People are making the argument for the age restriction because it is "Youth" Education in Arts. IMO the average age of the Cadets does not really go along to the whole youth thing. A 20 year old and a 30 year old are A TON closer in age than a 16 year old and a 20 year old (in most cases). I'm just saying that the "Youth" argument doesn't really work for me. Age is a lot more than just a number.

Taken from the DCI website: From modest beginnings more than three decades ago, Drum Corps International (DCI) has developed into a powerful, nonprofit, global youth activity with far-reaching artistic, educational and organizational influence.

Read more: http://www.dci.org/about/#ixzz1LGN9rrVo

Obviously, DCI considers themselves a youth activity, & as has already been established Cadets consider themselves a youth activity.

We get it that they don't qualify as a youth activity by your standards...which of course isn't the same thing as them not being a youth activity.

If I remember correctly, DCI Open Class corps only get paid if all the corps at the show are Open Class. If they perform at a World Class show, no pay.

I'm not sure how the DCA performance pay structure is, but I'm willing to bet that every corps gets something, regardless of class.

Those of you in the know, please correct any ignorance you see above.

it's up to the show host.

Taken from the DCI website: From modest beginnings more than three decades ago, Drum Corps International (DCI) has developed into a powerful, nonprofit, global youth activity with far-reaching artistic, educational and organizational influence.

Read more: http://www.dci.org/a.../#ixzz1LGN9rrVo

Obviously, DCI considers themselves a youth activity, & as has already been established Cadets consider themselves a youth activity.

We get it that they don't qualify as a youth activity by your standards...which of course isn't the same thing as them not being a youth activity.

Just because DCI says something doesn't mean it is actually the full truth. Hell, there is so much that can be greatly debated about that one sentence from their website. It's all buzz words. That is all it is.

Raise the age limit ONLY for Cadets alumni at a maximum of two seasons out of DCI. This means the younger members can learn from recent Cadets; educationally, this is outstanding.

I'm glad this is the KIDS, not for grown-ups hoping to relive their glory days.

no offense, but my glory days were as an adult marching. Same for many, many other folks as well.

People who perform in DCA aren't trying to relive their glory days, they are out there trying to learn, grow, and best of all, they do it cause they love it.

I'm so sick of that line, and it's so off base it makes me want to strangle people who use it.

get off your ### and come to DCA, and you'll see people out there cause they love doing it, not because they want to recapture the fountain of youth. I know people still out there in their 50's that say they learn new stuff every year and love it.

Learning and enjoyment of performing doesn't have to end at 22. And the continued trotting out that ######## phrase only deepens the divisions between two groups of folks who quite frankly, in these trying times, need each other more than they need to avoid each other.

• Like 2

Just because DCI says something doesn't mean it is actually the full truth. Hell, there is so much that can be greatly debated about that one sentence from their website. It's all buzz words. That is all it is.

Right, but we're talking about the identity of an organization....shouldn't they know who they serve better than say....you?