Cadets2

Did those corps have both a DCI and DCA corps going at the same time? If so that's interesting/cool. I know very little about DCA, so forgive me for asking about the obvious here.

AL Post #199 - Hawthorne, NJ sponsored both corps. Cabs were formed 1946 and Muchachos sometime later (late 50s?). Corps were connected by sponsor and music style but Muchachos were not a feeder for Cabs. At least that's the idea I got from one of the '75 age outs the day after DCI. "I'm going to Skyliners, I'm sick of playing this Latin crap". :tongue:

We're even, I don't know that much about a lot of DCI corps.

Edit: Just remembered I was younger than the age out by a few years at the time.... and I was in a Senior corps. :w00t:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I LOVE this idea and hope more corps follow it.

What I find interesting though is that Mr. Hopkins decided go to DCA.

Even though they're a weekend only corps, I'm sure it was still possible for them to stay in Allentown and perform at mostly east coast shows throughout the season.

I feel like what George Hopkins is doing is somewhat similar to someone sitting on a public school board and saying "well...I'm not sending my kids to the public elementary schools in THIS district, they're no good..."

...cant say I really blame him for that....now the demise of Open Class is another thread... :)

I was told a long time ago PERCEPTION IS REALITY ( true or not )

and if you tell a lie enough to some people it becomes truth

and if you tell a lie enough to some people it becomes truth

sure does....just like how people love to rewrite history..only remember the good...or bad....make a win or loss bigger than it was....put blame on the easiest scape goat etc etc.lol

OH heres a good one eveyone knows the MARJORTY of people to back and argument...lol I'm sure a million more.. :blink:

Adding to the nonsense, people complain that a DCI World Class touring model is death to corps. So a DCI World Class corps decides to tour weekends for the first 2/3rds of the season in order to stay financially viable and DCP has a hissy fit.

No....actually, no one objects to that until the corps starts beating too many full-touring corps (i.e. 2002 Pacific Crest, 2007 Academy). Then, it suddenly becomes unfair. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

You summed up my thoughts exactly.

I've been steaming about this for weeks after a corp-mate mentioned it at rehearsal. I'm 42, did my DCI back in the '80's, and have marched with DCA since the late 90's. What I love about DCA is that I always felt I could march until I simply wasn't physically able to anymore, and then would probably go to the pit so I could play triangle from my wheel chair. :smile: And like you, I have been feeling particularly bored with DCI for some years now. Amplification? A wall of keyboards? I always felt secure in DCA, and joined a DCA corps in '97. The youngest members originally were 22, fresh age-outs, but we had members from every age group, and I moved to a new city and joined a new corps that has members from high school to retirement age. It's what DCA is about. I am very saddened by the Cadets2 and their age restriction. Never did I ever think it would be even conceivable to age out from a DCA corps.

And I don't like where this is headed.

• Like 1