Life changing experience?

Well, I for one CAN say that before Drum Corps, I was a juvenile delinquent. After my father died when I was 10 years old, I rebelled against my mother to the extent that she had to put me in a boy's home. She did recognize that I enjoyed music at school and convinced me to go to a Drum Corps practice with a small Corps that one of her fellow teachers was directing. I reluctantly went to a practice and was overwhelmed with how friendly I was treated and how the marching members accepted me right away. I continued to attend practices and before long I was hooked. I feel today that if it wasn't for my involvement with Drum Corps, I definitely would not be were I am today.

You just quite brilliantly proved Glory's point. It is very probable that your story is genuine and true, but the OP has no way of knowing for sure.

Drum corps defies all explanation. I could try to explain it to you, but you'll never really, truly understand what I am talking about until you go through it. I'm not trying to sound elitist. This is god's honest truth.

My advice: Don't think about marching. Don't talk about marching. Don't say you're going to march someday.

GO MARCH!

For me personally, aside from being the most beneficial learning experience of my life so far, it was a way to escape reality. Drum corps is like it's own fantasy world where you can escape, dream, and most importantly achieve those dreams through intense work, rigorous training, and discipline.

Knowledge

Work ethic

Discipline

Family values

Drum corps provides all of that at the highest level and ultimately provides you with the tools you can use to succeed at anything in life.

Like most said, to truly understand it, you should march. But if you can't march, volunteer on the food truck for a corps for a week in July. It won't fully explain everything, but it'll give you a small taste of what it might be like to be a member. Plus, you'd be around members and you could ask them yourself, would get to go to shows for free, and find out a little about yourself and what kind of mental fortitude you have. Not nearly as tough as being a member, but it'll probably be the toughest thing you'll do for the rest of your life, especially if you're over 40, fat, bald, and out of shape. ;)

We can throw out as many cliches as we want to explain the experience but in reality, the only want to speak to it is to have been a part of it.

Hard work, discipline, success, pride, blah, blah, blah...They're all just words. The drum corps experience can be summed up the phrase, "the drum corps experience."

• Like 1

Well, then I'm in big trouble :p, i have to explain the 'mental experience' of drum corps.

If you're unsure of how drum corps is a life changing experience, you may want to choose a different topic to write on.

• Like 1

I learned to shower with a bunch of other people without being embarassed.

I learned how to trust and put your life in someone elses hand while trying to pee out of the door of a 1959 greyhound while soneone else held on to my belt so I wouldn't fall out on the Interstate at 70 mph.

Just two life changing experiences I had in drum corps that no one else mentioned......

• Like 2

Drum corps made me a muuuuuch more patient person. Clean your own house first, worry only about what you can control, what can I do to make myself better, etc. Before marching I'd say I was much more prone to hissy fits and moping over external factors. And I guess it made me more humble: everyone has something they can improve on, and if there isn't someone already better than you, they're someone who is busting their ### to become better than you.

Besides that, I guess it was cool to have audiences treat you like a rock star (not a lot of people can say they've experienced that), and it was cool to escape the real world for three months where I can worry only about keeping my feet in time and not bills or school or anything like that (some people can only dream of such an escape), and it's pretty cool to be part of a group where everyone is passionate about and so driven toward one goal (this is rare in real life).

Edited by fourouttheforty
  • Like 1

It's that point when your insanely tired but still keep going. Or those days when it's 100* plus weather and your sweating like a mad man, yet you still push through. Then when you get done with your final preformance and look back at the season, you realize al that you've overcome and it an awesome feeling. When you return to the normal world you realize physical challenges don't seem as hard and life just seems easier. You learn so much about life and yourself. You really have to march to understand.