Which corps will be performing non-dark shows this year?

many use "dark" simply as a word to describe that which they don't like.

watch them slam shows they don't like and dismiss them as "dark" or the other generic word people bandy about, "esoteric," all the while screaming with delight over Phantom 08, which was dark and full of truly esoteric pieces.

This can be true in some cases. That said, there are some people that claim they like shows that hardly anyone else likes and then turn around and slam the shows that are more popular with the fans as.... " cheesy " or they'll slam that corps for " pandering " to fans ( as if this was somehow a bad thing. ) There's a bit of hypocrisy when SOME people get upset if for whatever reason someone doeesn't like what others like. I never quite understood that. If something is found to be boring,.. or is interesting or exciting... to someone else, well so what ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I'm a huge fan of shows that cannot be construed as "dark." Other than the light-hearted approach Carolina Crown seems to be taking and the Blue Devils' take on Bacharach, which corps will be performing shows this summer which do not contain significant amounts of "dark" music? Definitely looking forward to them.

And not a single F*** was given that day.

Go get a hot dog.

• Like 6

yes, plenty of hypocrisy and immaturity to go around...these are the types who throw tissies when people have different tastes than they do, and proceed to act like they are especally attuned to what "the fans" want.

• Like 3

yes, plenty of hypocrisy and immaturity to go around...these are the types who throw tissies when people have different tastes than they do, and proceed to act like they are especally attuned to what "the fans" want.

QFT

• Like 3

True. We do have a pretty good idea though which Corps show was popular with fans and which were not. It's not an exact science, but most people can determine which shows are going over well with audiences, and which shows are found less appealing. There is no new revelation here in this statement it would seem to me. If I said to you that the Madison Scouts show was popular with most coast to coast audiences last year, I suspect that this would not be all that shocking of an observation made by me. And if I said that the Blue Devils show last year was found unappealing by a lot of people ( especially for a 1st place Corps )this too I suspect would not be all that surprising an observation for you to hear. Like I said, if people do like unpopular music, or less appealing shows, they need not apologize for this. They need not get in a tizzie because they like something others don't. They like it. They like it. And they need not be insulted for their peculiar tastes in music either. It's no big deal it seems to me. I never insult people's tastes in music, and I won't start now.

Edited by BRASSO

True. We do have a pretty good idea though which Corps show was popular with fans and which were not. It's not an exact science, but most people can determine which shows are going over well with audiences, and which shows are found less appealing. There is no new revelation here in this statement it would seem to me. If I said to you that the Madison Scouts show was popular with most coast to coast audiences last year, I suspect that this would not be all that shocking of an observation made by me. And if I said that the Blue Devils show last year was found unappealing by a lot of people ( especially for a 1st place Corps )this too I suspect would not be all that surprising an observation for you to hear. Like I said, if people do like unpopular music, or less appealing shows, they need not apologize for this. They need not get in a tizzie because they like something others don't. They like it. They like it. And they need not be insulted for their peculiar tastes in music either. It's no big deal it seems to me. I never insult people's tastes in music, and I won't start now.

People have problems when other people describe there tastes as "dark" and "non-dark". I mean its like saying I like music with "just the right amount of notes and pitches"... vague and useless categorization. Just state your tastes in a way people can understand and not guess at.

Edited by charlie1223

People have problems when other people describe there tastes as "dark" and "non-dark". I mean its like saying I like music with "just the right amount of notes and pitches"... vague and useless categorization. Just state your tastes in a way people can understand and not guess at.

I agree. The term " dark " has different meanings to different people too. I see no value to couching one's observations that requires some guesswork on what is meant by the poster. If someone thinks a show is very appealing to them, say so. If they think a show is very boring for them, say so. If all they do is say every show is "very appealing" to them, or every show is " very boring " to them, that just seems a bit strange as the shows are not all the same it seems to me. It seems that it's near impossible for all of the shows to be very appealing or very boring for that long time fan. ( but we've all heard some fans say this on occasion, I'm sure ) I have on occasion heard some friends that are unaccustomed to the activity say the shows were all boring ( or sometimes appealing ) for them, but thats a bit different in my mind from someone that follows the activity each year, saying this. I also agree that when someone says a show is " esoteric " ( for not liking the show )then they should just drop that phrase, and tell us what they really think, as sometimes an " esoteric " show in of itself is neither appealing nor boring. " esoteric " means " incomprehensible ". It opens the door that had the viewer understood the show, they just might have found it appealing. But saying a show is " boring " usually connotes that there was an understanding of the show, but nevertheless it was still found to be unappealing.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree. The term " dark " has different meanings to different people too. I see no value to couching one's observations that requires some guesswork on what is meant by the poster. If someone thinks a show is very appealing to them, say so. If they think a show is very boring for them, say so. If all they do is say every show is "very appealing" to them, or every show is " very boring " to them, that just seems a bit strange as the shows are not all the same it seems to me. It seems that it's near impossible for all of the shows to be very appealing or very boring for that fan. ( but we've all heard some fans say this on occasion, I'm sure )

For the OP it would make more since to say that he likes those shows that play pop/jazz and rock literature. And that's just based on him saying he likes bd and crown selections because they are "non dark"... Cuz that's what he really likes rather than saying "non dark".

I'm really looking forward to all the "dark" shows, personally.

fixed

• Like 2

...There is no new revelation here in this statement it would seem to me. If I said to you that the Madison Scouts show was popular with most coast to coast audiences last year, I suspect that this would not be all that shocking of an observation made by me. And if I said that the Blue Devils show last year was found unappealing by a lot of people ( especially for a 1st place Corps )this too I suspect would not be all that surprising an observation for you to hear...

nothing anybody says on here is ever shocking, surprising, or a revelation.

on the other hand, not that many people on here feel themselves to be clairvoyant or supreme opinionators of the universe, and it's generally fun to talk to them.

you take care, brasso.

can't wait to see the variety that seems to be making its way to the field this year. :thumbup: