Which corps will be performing non-dark shows this year?

I'm a huge fan of shows that cannot be construed as "dark." Other than the light-hearted approach Carolina Crown seems to be taking and the Blue Devils' take on Bacharach, which corps will be performing shows this summer which do not contain significant amounts of "dark" music? Definitely looking forward to them.

• Like 7

Hrothgar, as is usual there are a considerable number of shows being referred to as "dark". Dark is so overused as a term to define a large group of corps with hugely different shows and show concepts, IMO it's lost its relevance as a descriptive. It's just to broad of a brush anymore.

I'm a huge fan of shows that cannot be construed as "dark." Other than the light-hearted approach Carolina Crown seems to be taking and the Blue Devils' take on Bacharach, which corps will be performing shows this summer which do not contain significant amounts of "dark" music? Definitely looking forward to them.

Carolina Crown is playing "paint it black" and have you heard those Rachmaninoff pieces?! hehe

Edited by charlie1223

Out of those shows for which we know (mostly) the full program - title and repertoire - my educated guess using my definition of dark would be:

Dark: Bloo (dystopian novel for title), Cascades ("dark" gift), Phantom (I don't know if you've read what happens to Juliet), SCV (...hell), Teal Sound (deadly sins)

Not so dark: Academy, BD, BK, Crown (it might get heavy, but that's not really dark), Cavies, Crossmen, Scouts, Pio, Troopers

Too vague/could go either way: Boston, Cadets, Mandarins, Pacific Crest

I think if people are more careful with how they use "dark" and distinguish it from the quality of a sound being "dark" (which is pretty meaningless), then it's not that confusing or vague. There's a certain margin of opinion around the middle, but most people can agree that Cavies '10 (Mad World) is a dark show and that Scouts '99 (Jesus Christ Superstar) is not a dark show. Both have their relative high and low points of emotional stability and more dissonant harmonies, but overall the feel of the shows is distinguished in a way that is worth recording.

Edited by Stryfe
  • Like 1

Out of those shows for which we know (mostly) the full program - title and repertoire - my educated guess using my definition of dark would be:

Dark: Bloo (dystopian novel for title), Cascades ("dark" gift), Phantom (I don't know if you've read what happens to Juliet), SCV (...hell), Teal Sound (deadly sins)

Not so dark: Academy, BD, BK, Crown (it might get heavy, but that's not really dark), Cavies, Crossmen, Scouts, Pio, Troopers

lol yeah it's not a reach to call SCV dark :devil:

• Like 1

Also, having just seen Blue Stars' show trailer, I'll probably throw them on the "Dark" list.

• Like 1

I think if people are more careful with how they use "dark" and distinguish it from the quality of a sound being "dark" (which is pretty meaningless), then it's not that confusing or vague. There's a certain margin of opinion around the middle, but most people can agree that Cavies '10 (Mad World) is a dark show and that Scouts '99 (Jesus Christ Superstar) is not a dark show. Both have their relative high and low points of emotional stability and more dissonant harmonies, but overall the feel of the shows is distinguished in a way that is worth recording.

many use "dark" simply as a word to describe that which they don't like.

watch them slam shows they don't like and dismiss them as "dark" or the other generic word people bandy about, "esoteric," all the while screaming with delight over Phantom 08, which was dark and full of truly esoteric pieces.

• Like 1