Which corps will be performing non-dark shows this year?

To me, a DARK program is all about how you feel at the end.

If I am lost and 'in the dark' after the program is over, than I feel the program is dark.

If the program leaves me depressed......it is DARK!

That seems to fit one of the conventional definitions of "dark " programs. That said, our experiences tell us that some people enjoy being sad at the end of performances. Some people enjoy the ambivalence... or confusion... of the theme and message. We know this from our occasional meetings with such folks. Thus, when the Corps is able to make them sad or confused or ambivalent or betwixed or between after a show performance, that Corps show has been very appealing for them. Abnd this is fine. Gourmet ice cream shoppes oftentimes have 52 or more varieties of ice cream. They recognize that some people's tastes in ice cream run toward the very exotic side of the ledger. As a result, they'll offer exotic flavors like " Dill Pickle "...." Asparagus ".... "Chocolate with Chili"... Crushed Pretzels "... " Safron ".... and Vanilla Goat Cheese "... and so forth. The ice cream shoppes would not take the time and expense of making these flavors unless they just knew that at least SOME people were going to buy it and eat it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Well that's great, but if you can't define what dark or not dark means to you then no one can answer your question.

He should just setup a multi-select poll for last year's top 12: Check those you think were dark shows.

We'll quickly learn that everyone's def is quite different, lol.

• Like 1

He should just setup a multi-select poll for last year's top 12: Check those you think were dark shows.

We'll quickly learn that everyone's def is quite different, lol.

How about the poll, as described, WITH a short description of what the person thinks 'dark' means?

....that's getting complicated, isn't it? :doh:

Here's some help in figuring out what 'dark' is (IMO):

http://www.freddark.net/

....and some of this is just creepy......

Surf is playing Gaga so I guess that could be a light show?

I wouldn't see it that way neccessarily. Lady Gaga's music sometimes is rather confusing. There is oftentimes ambivalence on the part of the listener regarding the messaging of her songs. ( perhaps herself as well ) Her music seems to fit the conventional definition of " dark " and of " esoteric " ( if we use one of the definitions of " esoteric " that means the music and message being of an " incomprehensible " nature for some listeners. )

Edited by BRASSO

I wouldn't see it that way neccessarily. Lady Gaga's music sometimes is rather confusing. There is oftentimes ambivalence on the part of the listener regarding the messaging of her songs. ( perhaps herself as well ) Her music seems to fit the conventional definition of " dark " and of " esoteric " ( if we use one of the definitions of " esoteric " that means the music and message being of an " incomprehensible " nature for some listeners. )

Unless there will be singing/naration, I think most of her music is great!

IMO its some of the words or her performance that makes her music 'dark'.

I can't wait to hear the program!

• Like 2

Well that's great, but if you can't define what dark or not dark means to you then no one can answer your question.

What one defines as a " dark " show varies from person to person.

Is the SCV '87 and '88 classic show " Phantom of the Opera " a " dark " show ?

For some... yes... as the theme was certainly dark and somber, and the music, actors portrayed, and costuming utilized was likewise.The theme is one of anger, jealousy,etc... certainly " dark " character traits in the human condition. Others however define " dark" shows differently ( ie, atonality notes, multilayered, deeper, ambivalent messaging, or whatever ). For these folks, SCV's '87, '88 " Phantom of the Opera " show wasn't " dark " at all.

Edited by BRASSO