Which corps will be performing non-dark shows this year?

What one defines as a " dark " show varies from person to person.

Is the SCV '87 and '88 classic show " Phantom of the Opera " a " dark " show ?

For some... yes... as the theme was certainly dark and somber, and the music, actors portrayed, and costuming utilized was likewise.The theme is one of anger, jealousy,etc... certainly " dark " character traits in the human condition. Others however define " dark" shows differently ( ie, atonality notes, multilayered, deeper, ambivalent messaging, or whatever ). For these folks, SCV's '87, '88 " Phantom of the Opera " show wasn't " dark " at all.

Agreed, that is exactly my point. If he doesn't define his version of dark there is no context within which to form a discussion because we're all likely talking about different things (to a degree).

DEFINE DARK and start this thread over!!!!

Either that, or shut the lights out on it.

Well, the use of "Brave New World" in Shakespeare is a direct reference to the Americas (the New World) and the settlements that were starting there.

If that's true, it's only an oblique reference. The line is Miranda's. For her entire life, the only human being she has known is her father. When she first sees Ferdinand, she mistakes him for a spirit. Her exclamation, "O, wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, that has such people in't!" comes when she first sees his fellow castaways (who are from the Old World) on her island.

If that's true, it's only an oblique reference. The line is Miranda's. For her entire life, the only human being she has known is her father. When she first sees Ferdinand, she mistakes him for a spirit. Her exclamation, "O, wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, that has such people in't!" comes when she first sees his fellow castaways (who are from the Old World) on her island.

Yes, well, at the time it was written when people heard the phrase "New World" it kindled ideas associated with the Americas. I'm no Shakespeare expert but maybe the reference was for the audience in order to connect to the emotions that she was experiencing by relating them to the tangible ideas that the phrase "New World" brings. We can thank Huxley for pulling that line and blowing it up!

let's just put it this way... I'll stick with my assertion that The Cadets 2010 was dark..

c'mon, who writes a cheerful show about selling your eternal soul??? I don't think that's even possible! :blink:

Edited by Impuls!vebari

let's just put it this way... I'll stick with my assertion that The Cadets 2010 was dark..

c'mon, who writes a cheerful show about selling your eternal soul??? I don't think that's even possible! :blink:

That's were I think SHOWS can be described as "dark" and "light" but not individual pieces of music. Even if you believe Cadets 2010 to be "dark" (I don't) you can't possibly think that Children's Dance and Dance of the Tumblers were "dark" pieces of music.

That's were I think SHOWS can be described as "dark" and "light" but not individual pieces of music. Even if you believe Cadets 2010 to be "dark" (I don't) you can't possibly think that Children's Dance and Dance of the Tumblers were "dark" pieces of music.

chuckie's dance instead of children's dance.

how could anybody not be in favor of that?

Shosty is a genius. The major chords arpeggiated by the cellos in the 1st movement are intense dark. But the real genius is in how sarcastic and dark the coda of the 4th movement is. D Major chords. Your business is rejoicing...

Is it strange after reading ALL of the posts in this thread, THIS is the only thing that bugged me?! LOL