Music City Legend To Cease 2011 Operations

Recruitment is hard for any DCA corps, especially in areas without decades of history surrounding the All-age side of the activity. Retention is even harder.

Getting names on a list has never really been much of a problem it seems.. some booths, some ads, emails to band directors, newspapers, etc. We can probably all list hundreds of ways to get people to sign up for recruitment emails.

I can't agree with you more.

We have HUNDREDS of names that have signed up since our website first went live in August. If every person who signed up on our website were to come out, we'd have enough to field a couple Open class corps.

We have HUNDREDS of names that have signed up since our website first went live in August. If every person who signed up on our website were to come out, we'd have enough to field a couple Open class corps.

and it is Fla. which over time has shown it's own set of challenges for many many programs....It is odd that many of Bostons members over the past few years have come from fla. weird

Participating in this activity is a huge commitment. Certainly of time but also of heart. If you don't have a passion for this you will resent the time demand. If you are going to do this you have to be willing to commit a part of yourself to it. Who else would be willing to put up with the demands (like learning drill in a cold blinding wintery mix).

One of the things I love about this activity is the passion people bring. You see it here on DCP all the time. We don't always agree but people sure are passionate about how they feel. So, there are those that get exposed to the art, are impressed by the product, think to themselves "Hey, it would be cool to be part of that!". But what they see is the product of a crapload of hard work and rising above adversity. So they sign up on a list with the vision of the corps in August and then come face to face with the reality of the Corps in January or early Spring.

My friends, it is this reality that binds those of us who have stuck it through a season. The bond grows stronger the more you make it through. Fk, if it were easy then anyone could do it and you'd have a lot more Corps. When you've done it yourself and see a good product on the field, you appreciate what it took to get there.

Sorry for rambling. But its easy to put a name on a list. Its another thing entirely to have the character to work positively through a season. What bonds us all together no matter what Corps we may have marched with is that very tenacity of spirit. It is not that commonplace and makes it hard to recruit and build a corps. But my God is it worth it!

• 3 weeks later...
Participating in this activity is a huge commitment. Certainly of time but also of heart. If you don't have a passion for this you will resent the time demand. If you are going to do this you have to be willing to commit a part of yourself to it. Who else would be willing to put up with the demands (like learning drill in a cold blinding wintery mix).

One of the things I love about this activity is the passion people bring. You see it here on DCP all the time. We don't always agree but people sure are passionate about how they feel. So, there are those that get exposed to the art, are impressed by the product, think to themselves "Hey, it would be cool to be part of that!". But what they see is the product of a crapload of hard work and rising above adversity. So they sign up on a list with the vision of the corps in August and then come face to face with the reality of the Corps in January or early Spring.

My friends, it is this reality that binds those of us who have stuck it through a season. The bond grows stronger the more you make it through. Fk, if it were easy then anyone could do it and you'd have a lot more Corps. When you've done it yourself and see a good product on the field, you appreciate what it took to get there.

Sorry for rambling. But its easy to put a name on a list. Its another thing entirely to have the character to work positively through a season. What bonds us all together no matter what Corps we may have marched with is that very tenacity of spirit. It is not that commonplace and makes it hard to recruit and build a corps. But my God is it worth it!

Man Curt, once again you captured our activity so eloquently. Thanks for that! Although getting older, I wish I could march with you some day......but I live in Pennsylvania! :worthy:

Dave Faust

The Bucs

Edited by dafepd

Ditto. It's easy to get folks to sign up on a piece of paper, it's another to retain them after an 8 hour outdoor block. We have to show people that the time is worth it. I think the trick is getting a few people at time to buy into what you're doing and eventually others will follow. I'm confident corps like MCL can find that base and build from it.

Missing my MCL family! :(

Congrats on becoming a member of the CV family :):) Go CV!!!!!!!!!!