Music City Legend To Cease 2011 Operations

The Board of Directors of Music City Legend unanimously voted on Monday evening, May 9th, 2011, to suspend rehearsal operations preparatory to the 2011 Drum Corps Associates season. The Board will meet again within the next four weeks to determine the long-range future of the corps. Read the rest of the article here.

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2011/05/music-city-legend-to-cease-2011-operations/

sad news. Hope it works out for the future!

Very sorry to hear this news. MCL is a great group of people, and they have been a breath of fresh air on the DCA scene.

The Board of Directors of Music City Legend unanimously voted on Monday evening, May 9th, 2011, to suspend rehearsal operations preparatory to the 2011 Drum Corps Associates season. The Board will meet again within the next four weeks to determine the long-range future of the corps. Read the rest of the article here.

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2011/05/music-city-legend-to-cease-2011-operations/

"Unable to attract sufficient membership to meet the DCA minimum size limit"

Way to go DCA

• Like 1

Very sad day indeed. It was announced on the corps face book page last week that the hornline was almost full so this sort of came as a surprise to me.

So, does this mean MCL will not participate as a Mini Corps either?

Too bad.....this was one of my favorite corps....gave Renegades a run for their money in the "Loud is Good" category!

Come back som MCL.....you are missed already!!!

Way to go DCA

Despite the most sucessful initial response to online and in-person recruiting efforts in the corps' history, the corps was unable to convert these recruits into prospective members who would attend a rehearsal to see the corps (and participate) for themselves.

More like people showed interest but didn't follow up on it.

Way to go DCA

Pardon me? And you somehow make this DCA's fault? You are very misguided. DCA IS the corps themselves. The corps directors decided that it takes a minimum number of people to fulfill the obligation of a corps to a sponsor. I doubt that this had much to do with MCL's decision. I know these people closely and I'm sure the director - a friend of many decades - is fuming at your twisting his statement to say that their lack of membership is somehow DCA's fault.

Truth is - this economic and world situation has made 2011 very possibly the most difficult season in the history of drum corps... I'll even say that we have yet to see the bottom line on this effect on the activiity we love and that means in both DCI and DCA.

MCL is only guilty of having the good management to recognize the reality of the situation and the time table presented and functioned in a prudent manner making decisions for the long term rather than the short term. Rather than postpone evaluation or worse still risk an automatic failure for failing to have the 35 people minimum, they have taken one step backward to enable them to take larger steps forward in the near future. We all wish them great success in 2012 - a year I might point out when the championship will be in Annapolis - much closer to Nashville than Rochester.

I congratulate them on their difficult but prudent decision...

Edited by TomPeashey
  • Like 2

With the success of Music City in Nashville, you think this has hurt the membership numbers for legend? Music City plans to march a full size corps (150) this summer. I remember the last time Legend competed(09) they had 42-47 personnel in the hornline. I guess taken off one year and with the success of the junior corps in the same town has hurt. I'm hoping legend returns in 2012 because they had some of the best soloist.......contra, I ever herd in drum corps.

• Like 2