Music City Legend To Cease 2011 Operations

With the success of Music City in Nashville, you think this has hurt the membership numbers for legend? Music City plans to march a full size corps (150) this summer. I remember the last time Legend competed(09) they had 42-47 personnel in the hornline. I guess taken off one year and with the success of the junior corps in the same town has hurt. I'm hoping legend returns in 2012 because they had some of the best soloist.......contra, I ever herd in drum corps.

BINGO! Music City, the OC DCI corps, is having a very successful year and this HAD to have an effect on recruiting for MCL. Hopefully, as people age-out from Music City in the next few years, MCL can pick up some of these people and return to the field.

To all of this I have this to say.

You can hate me, bash me, tell me to, grow up, get real, go back to my Nursing Home and stop living in the past. I know I might be Wrong. (Been there done that also.)

But !There is a difference between two groups having similar names. Like this year. Adding Both, "Tampa Bay Thunder" and "Arkansas Thunder".

They are about 950 MILES apart, and BOTH have, as a Part of their name, giving more Information. Clearly not even people NOT connected to Drum Corps will have no Problem.

When I first saw the info on the start up of the DCI, O.C. group. I sent an email asking, "WHY that name?" "Was there Nothing else is could be?" "If nothing else could you at least add something to it, so to stop any confusion, by Potential Members, Donors, or event Sponsors?" "No". That was what they wanted, by a majority of those connected. So it looked to me like there was more to it than was put out by the "New" organization. I just knew deep down inside this was NOT going to be good for M.C.L. But they, M.C.L. being a Class group never said a word about things. They played nice as possible with the "Newbies"

Even without the Name confusion. It is a lot harder to get, and keep, a Drum Corps going in an area outside the Northeast. Where there are So Many Options for people, no matter what age. (DCI, DCA, Alumni/Exhibition, Mini Corps, ETC.) With a Large population of people. Many, many, with Experience.

OH WELL. A Sad day for sure. We will miss some hardworing, friendly people that were M.C.L this year.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

Best of luck MCL. I recall seeing the corps for the first time performing at our 2004 Kiltie Klassic; the Racine fans just loved the corps.....very entertaining.

The Board of Directors of Music City Legend unanimously voted on Monday evening, May 9th, 2011, to suspend rehearsal operations preparatory to the 2011 Drum Corps Associates season. The Board will meet again within the next four weeks to determine the long-range future of the corps. Read the rest of the article here.

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2011/05/music-city-legend-to-cease-2011-operations/

"Unable to attract sufficient membership to meet the DCA minimum size limit"

Way to go DCA

Oh look....Shadow7 has a clone...isn't that cute? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I have no beef with the minimum numbers for the field corps...I've always had an issue with the minicorps/field corps number gap.

If MCL couldn't get the 35 bodies REQUIRED by the rules of the body that governs the activity, them's the breaks....they know the deal. I had the same issues with En Garde in 08 (although we only needed 30 for DCI shows)...we never had more than 15 people...usually less.

You can #####, ####, moan, and blame the ruling body for a corps recruiting difficulties...but you'd be -- and ARE -- wrong.

Edited by 84BDsop

Sounds like they aren't the only ones making this decision. I expect to see another announcement very shortly...

I think the next announcement will shock a few people.

When I first saw the info on the start up of the DCI, O.C. group. I sent an email asking, "WHY that name?" "Was there Nothing else is could be?" "If nothing else could you at least add something to it, so to stop any confusion, by Potential Members, Donors, or event Sponsors?" "No". That was what they wanted, by a majority of those connected. So it looked to me like there was more to it than was put out by the "New" organization. I just knew deep down inside this was NOT going to be good for M.C.L.

The people at Music City Drum and Bugle corps went in with one agenda. To build the best DCI corps they could. They wanted a name that identified them as being from the Music City and they went with it. No hidden agenda there. To insinuate otherwise is just disrespectful to the Music City Drum and Bugle corps. Some very smart people running that organization.

Even without the Name confusion. It is a lot harder to get, and keep, a Drum Corps going in an area outside the Northeast. Where there are So Many Options for people, no matter what age. (DCI, DCA, Alumni/Exhibition, Mini Corps, ETC.) With a Large population of people. Many, many, with Experience.

DCAS is full of talent and choices of corps to march with. Two power house corps (Alliance and CorpVets) are just a few hours down the road. Florida is seeing some progress with their corps. Alabama is showing some growth in the mini corps arena. Shenandoah Sound is on what?? Their 100th season in exsistance??? (kidding). But they keep on trucking.

Alliance and CorpsVets are both geographically close to each other and are very successful at putting together a competitive corps year end and year out. They both have Spirit drum and bugle corps in their back yard recruiting and it does not seem to be hurting them any so really your arguments/debate or opinion on the subject matter posted is seriously flawed.

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1