Creating Class

True, but does this mean the Troopers or any other DM never left the field until all the corps Honor Guards left the field at the end of retreat? Corps protocol is for DMs and the corps to leave behind their colors. Not slamming any patriotic sentiment here but no one has brought this up and never saw this before.

s/ Guy who did Honor Guard duties (saber/American Flag) for parts of two years....

Drum corps protocol doesn't impact flag protocol. Honor guards should faithfully replicate their military counterparts since that is the only intended goal. For what it's worth, the flags should be guarded by two riflemen at the very least. The practice of replacing one of the riflemen with a saber bearer is drum corps fabrication. Only when there is a color detail with a separately posted commander have I seen a saber carried for a color guard mission.

Renegades honor guard, if I recall, marches with 2 rifles and a saber guarding a US, CA, Renegades and P.O.W flag.

I get why people love Troopers DM, but class in drum corps IMO has nothing to do with the flag or how it's treated. This isn't the military and as long as no one is openly defacing the flag it's a non issue. Class in drum corps IMO comes right down to the quality of character of the members and staff. Certain corps seem to be better than others at affecting this directly based on their internal philosophy and how they communicate and instill values in their members. It has to do with how the membership is perceived in their actions across the board. How do they act towards other corps, how do they treat rookies, in what condition do they leave a housing site, how do they interact and present themselves to the communities they're staying in etc...

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 1

Class is hard to define: SCV, Madison, and The Troopers come immediately to mind.

I can tell you what definitely ISN'T classy: coming on to field wearing your championship ring(s) over your gloves!

• Like 3

Eh, I can kinda see where Brasso did come to this conclusion. The OP somewhat made it seem that they were more upset with the Kingsmen DM for telling SCV's rookie not to break ranks than they were upset that their rookie did it in the first place. But the OP did clarify later what they meant. Just to back Brasso up.

That isn't what I read at all. The point was that the event made Gail Royer realize that the entire corps needed a lesson in class, not that the individual did. I am a bit biased, but I did not get for a second that he was trying to make the Kingsmen look bad. In fact, the second he wrote that a rookie broke through their ranks, I was thinking, "OH, he's going to get it now." The point is that Gail Royer wanted his corps to be held to a higher standard, his reaction was because the corps was falling below that standard.

• Like 3

I have always held SCV and others in high regard when it comes to being top notch organizations. I do have to say that the whole "G7" BS has changed that. This has nothing to do with the membership or how they conduct themselves, but has everything to do with how the organization conducts itself.

While I think this is a good and important thread - I would have substituted the word RESPECT for the word class.

And I have a great deal of respect for all of you who have marched or are currently. Thanks for many years of inspiration.

• Like 2