Blue Devils 2011 pre-season recording

This is going to be a great show, I think. It's a great merging of old school melodies with some more modern arranging (and a very good drumline). Strangely for a BD show, the ballads really are the showstoppers, I think. I can feel the soothing melodies washing 2010 from my brain. (Me after 2010 - :blink: . Me after hearing this - :music: ) Can't wait to hear what the closer will be, and I'm guessing the transitions will be a little more transition-ey before it's all said and done.

Final verdict - I like a lot so far, probably my best initial listening impression since '98. No joke.

Mike

Also bought BDB's recording. Holy Drumline, Batman! I've felt that in many ways BDB the last few years has been a lot more true to the jazzy "feel" of classic BD than the A corps. This show is called Synchronicity, and yes, it's The Police, at least to start.

The whole show has a groove to it, and if you didn't know ahead of time, yes, you'd think you were listening to a WC corps. I'd definitely recomend this as a purchase for BD fans, or heck, even fans of just fun-to-listen-to drum corps. And drumline fans - definitely fans of drumming.

Mike

• Like 3

I just got the word that Blue Devils have released their pre-season recording of their 2011 show - "The Beat My Heart Skipped". You'll find it on the BD Mediabox.

I'm listening now .... and REALLY liking what I hear.

Agreed! I was really optimistic when I downloaded some of the Bacharach tracks from iTunes. And I am so pleased that there is a developed melody and recognizable songs in this recording! This is the style of BD I have been missing for a long time and I am still really excited about this season, more so than a long time. I am concerned about their uniforms based on what I have read on DCP and elsewhere, but this musical book might help me overcome that! :)

Go Devs! 15!

It's the perfect mix of old and new, ticks a lot of boxes... for me anyway.

Nice bit of xylophone work in there for any ex pit folk like me.

Some musical sections scream 1980s others are more in keeping the 2010 feel.

Mediabox is 9.99 for a year. You can listen or view anything in their library. If you want to buy a mp3 copy of this years show it's 3.99 for members and 4.99 for non-members. I bought the show for 4.99. What's five bucks...a Subway sandwich.

I felt like an idiot after I did not realize that that track was the entire show. I bought all the tracks and spent much more than $5! That's my bad but I wish it had been more clear. As much as I love BD, I only subscribed for a month early last season while I subscribe to the Fan Network every year. Fan Network has much more value IMO.

Agreed! I was really optimistic when I downloaded some of the Bacharach tracks from iTunes. And I am so pleased that there is a developed melody and recognizable songs in this recording! This is the style of BD I have been missing for a long time and I am still really excited about this season, more so than a long time. I am concerned about their uniforms based on what I have read on DCP and elsewhere, but this musical book might help me overcome that! :)

Go Devs! 15!

What's the scoop on the uni's?

So here's a clip of the show, in June, well, for you suckers dumb enough to drop 4.99 on a preseason audio clip.....

For Christ's sake don't throw any tidbits to the fans or anything, I mean, I realize fan friendliness hasn't been on your radar in recent years but wow.

Right: the corps should give us everything we want, when we want it, for free. I realize supporting the activity hasn't been on your radar in recent years, but wow.

• Like 2

I felt like an idiot after I did not realize that that track was the entire show. I bought all the tracks and spent much more than $5! That's my bad but I wish it had been more clear. As much as I love BD, I only subscribed for a month early last season while I subscribe to the Fan Network every year. Fan Network has much more value IMO.

I agree with this, but I respect Blue Devils for a) doing their own thing, and b) offering a 'sneak peak' of their show for fans willing to pay a little extra for it.

*I'M IN NO WAY IMPLYING THIS ABOUT YOU*

The entitlement on the internet is absolutely childish: "I want everything, right now, for free." People complain about not having illegal videos for free on Youtube, not being allowed to record shows, etc. Even my nine year old has more respect/better moral understanding than many drum corps fans. If people want to point fingers in regards to 'why the activity is dying,' look no further than immature, naive drum corps fans.

• Like 2

It's the perfect mix of old and new, ticks a lot of boxes... for me anyway.

Nice bit of xylophone work in there for any ex pit folk like me.

Some musical sections scream 1980s others are more in keeping the 2010 feel.

This is exciting news! I haven't heard these clips (and won't hear another BD recording until the first Fan Network vid), but everything I've heard points 2011 Blue Devils musical book as being a good blend of 'old school melody' with 'new school technical showcasing' (for lack of a better term).