Best drill

Dudes! SCV 2010 was awesome!!!!

• Like 4

There is obviously amazing drill In drum corps, but what corps and year has the best drill?(I will put the good suggestions in micromarching.com and post them.

Are we thinking best written ?

Best Executed ?

Both ?

Comparing maturity level of the members with the level of drill ?

I've seen some amazing drill in lower level corps that just wasn't executed good enough to get any attention. I always enjoy seeing what a drill writer can come up with that that can keep my attention even though the corps itself can't ( if that makes sense)

I'd like to hear some thought on lower level corps.

Are we thinking best written ?

Best Executed ?

Both ?

Comparing maturity level of the members with the level of drill ?

I've seen some amazing drill in lower level corps that just wasn't executed good enough to get any attention. I always enjoy seeing what a drill writer can come up with that that can keep my attention even though the corps itself can't ( if that makes sense)

I'd like to hear some thought on lower level corps.

if I remember correctly, I think it was Pacific Crest that really stuck out to me (in a positive way) as compared to the corps around them.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

Just a few things...

Myron Rosander isn't currently with Phantom for 2011. Jamey Thompson, a former Cavalier, btw, is the CURRENT drill designer for 2011. Myron Rosander was the designer for 2010.(http://www.regiment....ory.cfm?ID=1046)

Pete Weber would be more a parallel lineage to Michael Gaines. BOTH who would be from the linage of Steve Brubaker.

So, it appears that three current designers are former Cavaliers and from the Brubaker school of though on drill design. May and Sacktig would be of the Zingali school of thought.

thumbup.gif

Brubaker and Zingali still influencing the activity 20+ years after they're gone!

Well said! Intriguing because I think of Michael Gaines as such a juggernaut in the activity, it's boggling to think he did emerge from Brubaker. Did '95 designer Greg Poklacki come from the same roots?

he is a former cavalier but his drill design is so different than the gaines/brubaker/weber group. I love the fluidity and organicness (made that word up) of his designs and his use of geometric AND curvillinear.

Brubaker and Zingali are indeed still on the field through other writers, but I also really really appreciate the work of thompson, rosander and jay murphy, because their drill design is very much THEM, their own style (which doesn't take away from gaines, weber, sacktig and may... they are all terrific designers).

Good points. Interesting that Phantom Regiment has utilized the writing of Jamie Thompson, Nick Scotella (Spartacus), Rosander, and now back to Thompson. I don't feel that the oscillation of drill writers has effected their image, as each season seems like a strong Phantom Regiment on the field, but curious nonetheless.

Cadets 85.

1989 Phantom Regiment (they won visual, it was darn near tick-less)

1991 Star of Indiana (the execution still had some dirt at Finals, but Zingali's genius was undeniable)

1998 Cadets (remains to this day the best all-around visual performance I've ever seen; perfect marching, flawless guard)

2002 Cavaliers (not as clean as many think it is, but the creativity, the staging, and the interplay between visual and musical elements was simply astounding)

2006 Cavaliers (the best combination of visual creativity and performance cleanliness the Cavaliers have had under Gaines)

Good points. Interesting that Phantom Regiment has utilized the writing of Jamie Thompson, Nick Scotella (Spartacus), Rosander, and now back to Thompson. I don't feel that the oscillation of drill writers has effected their image, as each season seems like a strong Phantom Regiment on the field, but curious nonetheless.

yeah... except for 09.... :ph34r:

A lot of credit should also be given to Tony Hall for 08. Scotella was the official writer but he was being mentored by Tony Hall for the writing in 08.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

From the shows I have SEEN:

Cavaliers 2000's

Cadets 2000, 2005 (yes, I liked it), 2009

Crown 2007-Now

Bluecoats 2008, 2010

Phantom 2000's (I will be that general, I haven't found any programs I disliked more than the others. However, I did enjoy 2007 and 2008 very much).

Absolutely. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this.