Best drill

The Cavaliers, Geometry in Motion, they have had so many great visual designs! What they do on the field is amazing! Then the other two corps that pop out to me would have to be SCV and Cadets. Both have great visuals and, like the cavies, they keep adding great visual effects to the field.

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 3

Cavaliers 91 is a masterpiece with the exception of the sperm balloons.

Phantom 2006 should be mentioned just based on general effect.

And if you're looking for unnecessarily hard drill that looks cool, Madison 2000-2002 is full of it. The 2002 show in particular would even give BD headaches!

• Like 2

From the shows I have SEEN:

Cavaliers 2000's

Cadets 2000, 2005 (yes, I liked it), 2009

Crown 2007-Now

Bluecoats 2008, 2010

Phantom 2000's (I will be that general, I haven't found any programs I disliked more than the others. However, I did enjoy 2007 and 2008 very much).

The last 20 something years: Cavies/Cadets/SCV...without a doubt.

• Like 1

-Sacktig and the Cadets each year have the most musical and aesthetic approach, imho. I enjoy their form development because it is a fresh perspective yet reminiscent of Zingali.

-Gaines and the Cavaliers have the geometric thing down. His ideas are in a completely different direction than Cadets, yet quite effective at creating motion.

-Leon May at Carolina Crown evolved from the Cadets school of thought (having marched there). A very underestimated performance: look up 2009 Crown; Sensemaya. He belongs in the elite!

-Myron Rosander, currently with Phantom Regiment. IMHO, they moved fantastically more than anybody else last year! Long time drill writer with SCV, he's still got it.

-Pete Weber and the Santa Clara Vanguard. From the lineage of Michael Gaines, I believe, his hornline drill in particular is quite entertaining.

• Like 1

Cavaliers have historically been known for their great visual designs.

Cadets.

SCV

Blue Devils have some of the best staging and design that lets their members do what they do well.

Even tho I'm not the biggest BD fan, I have to agree about blue devils drill.

I remember going back and fourth with someone here on DCP who was saying in 07 how bluecoats drill was better than Blue Devils.

Blue Devils drill is not flashy, there may not be those OOOOOOOH AHHHHHH moments like there are with some other drum corps. But that corps is staged outrageously well, their drill is absolutely with out a doubt some of the best every single year. There is so much more to drill design than 'flashy' moments and ....it kind of pains me to say this.... I think the Blue Devils are often under-rated by the general public in this regard. Jay Murphy is one of the best designers there is.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 2