Best drill

2000 Cadets.

Oh you got to be kidding me.

That's the most absurd thing I've ever seen written on this forum.

Cadets 2000 is one of the top 3 shows ever created in the history of DCI.

And no, they did not free form half the show. In fact I'll watch it right now and try to see where you're coming from, but I've watched it a hundred times.

Im surprised so many people chose 98 cadets over the 97 drill design. I did love the 98 show but the design of the 97 show especially the end of the opener is just amazing to me.

James

• Like 1

Oh you got to be kidding me.

That's the most absurd thing I've ever seen written on this forum.

Cadets 2000 is one of the top 3 shows ever created in the history of DCI.

And no, they did not free form half the show. In fact I'll watch it right now and try to see where you're coming from, but I've watched it a hundred times.

I never said they had free form for half the show.

Do not be churlish and incorrectly quote someone.

I ALSO never said I didn't think Cadets 2000 wasn't "one of the top 3 shows ever created". I just do not necessarily think the visual program is one of the top ever written. In fact, that's a good thing. The show was a game changer because of the elements that they included that were NOT standard at the time.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

Ok, there were some "scatter drill" in the percussion feature, but a lot of corps do that.

The closer was pretty good, some pretty difficult drill there towards the end, I think the drill was really, really good not because it was incredibly difficult or innovative, but because it fit in with their musical program so well. Maybe that's what you were getting at?

I just now realized this thread is 2.5 years old.

91 Star

00 cadets

01 Glassmen

06 cavies

09 Crown

09 cadets

Ok, there were some "scatter drill" in the percussion feature, but a lot of corps do that.

The closer was pretty good, some pretty difficult drill there towards the end, I think the drill was really, really good not because it was incredibly difficult or innovative, but because it fit in with their musical program so well. Maybe that's what you were getting at?

I just now realized this thread is 2.5 years old.

I think we are viewing things in reverse context. I don't think you can compare eras very well, so I look at it in relation to its era. 2000 Cadets, compared to the era had a lot more moments about "staging" people than using drill to move those members than was routine for the era. The biggest critique of the group back on RAMD at the time was the free-form.

OBVIOUSLY, the direction the activity has taken includes many more of those moments, so in hindsight it would feel like a lot less.

I'm also responding to the drill part of this, not the visual design part of this, because the question is drill related, not visual design related.

New keyed brass, technique, and the attempted dissolution of the military bearing in the drum break are the biggest things I took away from Cadets 2000. It was instrumental in changing the activity to the direction it is today.

The era of Brubaker and Zingali were arguably some of the best drill ever to be put on the field. Influenced everybody!

• Like 1

I think we are viewing things in reverse context. I don't think you can compare eras very well, so I look at it in relation to its era. 2000 Cadets, compared to the era had a lot more moments about "staging" people than using drill to move those members than was routine for the era. The biggest critique of the group back on RAMD at the time was the free-form.

OBVIOUSLY, the direction the activity has taken includes many more of those moments, so in hindsight it would feel like a lot less.

I'm also responding to the drill part of this, not the visual design part of this, because the question is drill related, not visual design related.

New keyed brass, technique, and the attempted dissolution of the military bearing in the drum break are the biggest things I took away from Cadets 2000. It was instrumental in changing the activity to the direction it is today.

What is "RAMD"?

I always thought the biggest critique from that "era" was the fact we were using "any key" instruments. I will never forget this brass player from the colts that year came up to me and asked me why we were "cheating". That made me chuckle aplenty.

APLENTY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ANxrbjjHhI

$1 for me...

Edited by 2000Cadet