Tuba Wreck

One of the Hurrcs contras got clipped at DCA Finals a few years back (forget year). Looked like back of the horn was tagged during a fast move at the very end of the show. People were getting closer and closer.... then you saw the horn bell go over and back. Friend said the guy was checking his mouth going off the field.

At college first week of band camp we did all types of wierd drill to get used to the style. Then the student Assistants would try their hand at calling drill. Long story short.... trombones doing a pass thru and then told to about face which meant they were not turning the same direction :shutup: Out of 16 or so trombones, half a dozen had damaged slides. Funny part was another trombone and myself were in corps and we both crouched down when the about face was called (and no damage). Other guy was asked why we dropped out of harms way and response was "We're in Drum Corps, we can ####### think!".

It was 88 or 89, we were getting ready to go on and Cadets guard was warming up close by. Someone threw a huge rifle toss and coming down she botched the catch (very windy if I recall) and it caught her on the bridge of her nose. Blood everywhere.

Pic of tuba wreck from Hop's FB

253577_10150207442056911_507456910_7738798_8119934_n.jpg

That will rub out :tongue:

• Like 2

One of the Hurrcs contras got clipped at DCA Finals a few years back (forget year). Looked like back of the horn was tagged during a fast move at the very end of the show. People were getting closer and closer.... then you saw the horn bell go over and back. Friend said the guy was checking his mouth going off the field.

At college first week of band camp we did all types of wierd drill to get used to the style. Then the student Assistants would try their hand at calling drill. Long story short.... trombones doing a pass thru and then told to about face which meant they were not turning the same direction :shutup: Out of 16 or so trombones, half a dozen had damaged slides. Funny part was another trombone and myself were in corps and we both crouched down when the about face was called (and no damage). Other guy was asked why we dropped out of harms way and response was "We're in Drum Corps, we can ####### think!".

Speaking of the Hurcs, vets of that Corps from long ago will tell you the time Hurcs DM and instructor Joe Gennaro took the 2nd place Trophy after the DM's were dismissed and swung it around like an olympic hammer throw, then launched it in the direction of the judges, but it crashed landed into smittereens without injurying a soul. ( ah yes, the good old days with tales of interesting yore... haha ! )

Edited by BRASSO

I did knock Sandra Opie's tape player out of her hand with the bell of my euph. one time.

Ahhhhh an old phart ?

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

I remember Phantom Regiment having a big crash of contra tubas at one dress rehersal some years back. One slipped and fell and, I think, 3 or 4 others fell on him. What a mess! We held our breath until every player got back on his feet. The bell (not sure if that is the right term) was totally flattened on one horn and the others were dented. Someone either got the horns to a shop or knew how to 'pound them out', because the horns looked fine at the first competition........

I need to find and post the picture of what I did to my poor trumpet going from trail to attention repeatedly.

Suffice it to say the motion is nearly the same as going from Order Arms to Port Arms with a rifle (that would be MILITARY drill) and a trumpet is not quite as durable or able to withstand the violence of a powerful, snappy movement like that...

Sorry, trumpet...

:music:

I need to find and post the picture of what I did to my poor trumpet going from trail to attention repeatedly.

Suffice it to say the motion is nearly the same as going from Order Arms to Port Arms with a rifle (that would be MILITARY drill) and a trumpet is not quite as durable or able to withstand the violence of a powerful, snappy movement like that...

Sorry, trumpet...

:music:

Or-derrrr....HARMS *crunch*

That about right? :tongue:

Pic of tuba wreck from Hop's FB

253577_10150207442056911_507456910_7738798_8119934_n.jpg

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." - Jeff Spicoli