Austin Sauna and Suds

Crown was hot Hot HOT!!! my oh my have the fixed the drumline which haunted them, this show is chalked full of GE, double tonguing extended section in the middle of the show is just crazy! They've got to win Brass this year, what a sound! The gaurd is great again and the male soloist is doing things not humanly possible!! Wow great shows all of them so far!!! U want fan friendly my friends u got it

Thanks for being my eyes and ears while I'm sitting in the Carolinas! Gotta love this review since my boy was on the field! RACH ON CROWN and all the corps out there tonight, you all work so hard!!

$1 if you tell me who THIS is...

Miyamoto.gif

It's Shigeru Miyamoto!

• Like 1

jlessaryJ. Essary

Texas audiences are not used to seeing corps this early. By the time we usually see them, shows are cleaner and members are thinner!

Shigeru Miyamoto... I am a Nintendo fan :tongue:

Just not as much as dci of course!

Wow...I think I beat you by a fraction of a second--by the time I loaded the page after I posted yours was already there!

But yeah, Nintendo's pretty sweet.

It's interesting to me that the ORDER OF PERFORMANCE seems to have a LOT to do with placements/scores................. :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

That's true, though more logical than interesting.

** Judge explanation **

:soapbox:

('soapbox' not intended to be 'angry' or argumentative in any way, just going off on a little bit of off topic rambling)

A judge has a finite number they have to work with, and in a circuit where performance order is typically dictated by last year's placement (and therefor talent level), judges will probably typically think that the last few groups are going to be better than the first few groups. Therefor, the scoring turns into a 'game' of numbers management for a judge, as no judge wants to either be "that guy" that pops high numbers early because they started too high, or low numbers because they started too low. While judging is never really an exact science, numbers management kind of is, and while any judge worth his weight in gold will tell you that the exact number a corps gets from one night to another isn't a huge deal/point of concern, what is of paramount concern is spreads from one corps to another (for example, in a two sub-caption caption, which is every caption in DCI, if you put someone more than .3 over another corps in a sub caption, you're basically telling that corps they are not really in the ballpark at that time with the other corps: that's a generalization, obviously, but fairly on the mark).

So really, performance order is fairly critical to success (though not definitive, by any means), and that's why corps work a little bit harder at Regional performances knowing a score averages into performance order at Quarterfinals. On the flip side, to be a little bit blunt, since performance order generally is dictated by previous year's success, naturally the better corps usually go on later: it's no stretch to say that Blue Devils are a better corps than Blue Stars, and thus if/when BD go on later and place higher than Blue Stars, it isn't really because they performed later.