The Martin(i) Bar

Just got back home after a rather adventurous nine hour drive. Drove up to Martin yesterday to drop off a friend who's filling a contra hole at SOA. Was able to get into the show thanks to help from a friend. I only got to see Teal Sound and Spirit of Atlanta. I was sitting a few rows from the front on the 30, Side 2, so I can only really comment on music and marching. Would have stayed for more, but I wanted to see my friends that are currently marching before they left. Here's what I can say about those two, though:

Teal Sound - Nice concept. Hornline sounds pretty strong at times. I was intrigued by the electric violin and the EWI (electronic wind instrument) in the pit. Can't say I'm a fan just yet, but it's definitely interesting. I'd like to see it again, but I can say that it's definitely an enjoyable show that I think they're going to get a lot better at, and I can't wait to see the improvement that I know they'll make.

Spirit of Atlanta - It was really nice to hear that name over the loudspeakers. Crowd seemed to agree - a lot. The intro was on fire. Crowd ate it up. The hornline is really strong - they're already playing VERY well for this early in the season. There were some moments that lacked confidence though, and there was almost a tempo tear in the closer - but they recovered perfectly. Sounded like some of their electronics weren't working for most of the show. One of my friends in the pit said it had something to do with the event staff not setting them up properly, but I don't know all the details, so I'd rather not try to fuel any speculation. Regardless - they had a great performance. I dig the guard unis. It's nice to see people finally paying attention to this corps again.

Edited by DrinkinOuttaCups

Wow. I was at the Martin show, but did not realize Spirit beat BC in visual GE!

I thought Spirit was very strong last night. I did not expect the intensity of sound! I think they may have a shot at making Finals this year, and if they don't, it is going to be close.

I was disappointed with Teal Sound. I'm not trying to criticize here but I just couldn't really place their music and drill with the theme they chose...just wasn't getting it, sounds like they are still very rough around the edges. I hope they come around. Some parts of their show was nice, but they did use the bass guitar, and they also had a fiddle player (which played well, btw) and someone played what I think was an electronic clarinet - it made a really neat sound. Not sure how I like a fiddle and clarinet in the pit...slippery slope...but was interesting to hear something completely new (as far as I know) to the activity.

Music City did great for an open class corps!!! I counted 123 members including the drum majors. They had 15 contras. They stood and played the first 75% of their show, then they marched the closer. Really no big deal that they haven't learned their drill yet, as they are an OC corps, but from what I heard, they were impressive, and I think they may have a shot at taking the OC title this year. Definitely top 3, anyways, I would guess.

Just got back... would love to do a full review- I got lots of pictures- but I've got to fly out to Colorado tomorrow and I'd prefer to get 4 hours of sleep

-Music City-- bigger and better than last year-- some big musical tears, but they look confident and perform well- and holy crap- 15 TUBAS with a 64 member brass line?? Love it. Now just get them to actually play loud and SOUND like 15 tubas and it'll be amazing

- Teal--- looked like about 64 member hornline. No shakos (because it was a little windy?)--- guard in t-shirts/shorts. Not really much I can remember from the show... I'm a realist and I'm afraid this ones going to be performed last on Thursday night of finals week-- could be wrong

- Spirit-- WOW WOW WOW! seemed to me to be the best Spirit we've seen in, ehhh.. the past decade? Just super solid-- guard needs some work. This is just a big step up for them- members are performing well with a great product- lots of impact and good story development-- this was a big hit with the crowd tonight-- very loud, good brass sound. First show of the night to get a standing ovation-- totally agree with previous reviewer that this could be a finals-caliber show. I'd place it over glassmen products and/or Troopers the past few years- just a well done show-- smart even... my expectations were exceeded.

- Blue Stars-- I'm not sure... I thought they were good-- I don't like how the scaffolding pulls the field down to a smaller size- in the way it looks and where the drill goes. I do like this- but I'll disagree with the previous reviewer in their stepping it up vs the last few years-- this felt like 2010 and 2009 products from the Blue Stars to me-- still @ a very high quality- I guess I had hyped this show up too much in my mind for it to deliver completely. I'll say they could finish anywhere between 7th and 9th this year- IMO-- 72 hornline from the looks of it- 12 tubas... One point of interest- twice in the show there is a very high pitched trumped-sounding note coming from a synth like kissing-off a big brass release... it actually fooled a few people around me who thought it was a trumpet-

-Cavaliers. I totally get how this show has scored 1st both on the judges sheets and in the fan voting. This show has WOW factor all over it... it's the same feel as 2001 2002 cavies, IMO- they just come out there and OWN it. I remember 2010 early season cavies brass was surprisingly loud (we're so used to them starting off slow and then working up the volume with everyone else in late July, ya know?) loudest corps of the night... to me this show is BRILLIANT, CREATIVE, SMART, and lots of other things-- this is one of those shows where you just stand in awe of the design staff- Gains, etc, and just have to give it up. It's going to take an amazing show to pass this corps finals night. Talked with a staff member before the show- I was on the top row- i said "i think you just need to do the whole show with people playing their instruments upside down..." and he smiled and said "we've got some fun things still up our sleeve-- you're going to be happy later in the season with the closer..." and I don't doubt it. the obvious 1st place corps tonight-- 16 tubas

-BLOOOOOOCoats.. I love this show... I love the ballad opener and the choreography-- I love the closer-- I even love the middle part... MUSICALLY this show is incredible... groovy, powerful, beautiful, RAW... visually it's still going to take some work. Clearly a re-write/addition of the ending is necessary... I think there are still some of the middle parts that lose a bit of steam-- but that's what the season's for... I can't say enough how much I love the musical selections and oh my goodness, Doug Thrower is on fire with the brass arranging... this is a show you're going to want to get an APD of ASAP and pop in your car or in your headphones for a jog-- I know I will-- couldn't say I felt that way about any of the other shows tonight

the Bluecoat Tubas this year- I'd not only put them up against the best bluecoat tuba lines of all time (2007), I'd put them up against the best tuba line of any drum corps ever-- and if you've seen them live and heard the tuba soli in the closer you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you haven't seen the show you probably just rolled your eyes... if you have.... I bet you're nodding your head.... you'll see what I mean. Just fantastic. It made me smile and everyone in my section laugh out loud with enjoyment. I can't get enough of that.

I said Cavies would take it tonight by 3 points, but this 4.9 spread is just nuts. Visual GE judge put coats in 4th behind Spirit? 14.4 in GE vis 2 days ago and now it's 13.0... that seems... :thumbdown:

I see the Cavies-Bluecoats gap shrinking (though, however, I'm not saying I think the coats have a super high chance of actually PASSING them...) gap between Bluecoats and Blue Stars growing

And just to let you know, in the Blue Stars' show, the trumpet squeals are real. When I go out and watch them rehearse in the evening, they don't always hit that note together, but both of them are playing it on a real trumpet - it is just that last night they both hit it perfectly in tune with each other. Either that, or only one of them was playing.

I'm not sure why DCI would have a show with a limited panel. I get it, no one was available; or is it a money saving method? I think it may hurt some and help others. If you're a corps who does well in caption A, and caption A judge is absent it will have an effect.

I'm happy to see SOA have early success. However, it's a little strange to believe that Bloo is really much closer to Teal Sound than they are to cavies in visual GE. I think there's some funk in those numbers.

I'm not sure why DCI would have a show with a limited panel. I get it, no one was available; or is it a money saving method? I think it may hurt some and help others. If you're a corps who does well in caption A, and caption A judge is absent it will have an effect.

I'm happy to see SOA have early success. However, it's a little strange to believe that Bloo is really much closer to Teal Sound than they are to cavies in visual GE. I think there's some funk in those numbers.

Money saving thing.

What a great show last night, and yes, the crowd was great and Martin needs to have this show every year.

Cavies were very strong for this time of year. Even though they stood still the last minute or so, doesn't matter, thye still deserved to win by the margin they did in my opinion.

Not sure theme is evident, but the GE and coordination is there. Solid tasty drum writing and execution. Pretty big brass sound. Would love to see then against BD tonight. Already much prefer this over BD at finals last year.

Maybe the tide is turning and DCI is actually trying to reward mass appeal along with creativity and execution. I am sooo ready to see this one again.

Coats were Ok, but I was underwhelmed. I probably expected the strong out of the gate corps I saw last year at this time. They are good and have a big sound. I just was never drawn into it. Lots of marching errors and bumping

into each other which was a surprise. The visual did not seem to match the music for me. Maybe I just missed it and never got locked in. Pretty good drum line but not as strong as last year.

Blue Stars were exciting and like other posters said, this show seems a step up in a lot of ways. I like most of the drum writing and the line was very clean in spots. Big sound, impact, variety. Like Cavies, the theme does not seem evident so that level of GE seemed missing. It seems though that upper corps do not have to stick with or make their theme evident but lower corps do. Oh well. I enjoyed this an really want to see it again. The stage in the middle of the field took some getting used to. We will see how the use of that prop develops. Though the corps was much more convincing than Coats and had stronger marching ad music ensemble. Seeing the recap was a bit of a surprise.

Spirit of Atlanta. I wish I had my own words, but will totally agree with an earlier poster and state that this corps was the shocker of the night by far! I loved it and so did the crowd. BRAVO for figuring out how to be competitive for a finalist spot but how to also how to be new and improved Spirit of Atlanta. The theme is soooo easy to get and the impacts and coordination with flag designs and characters is spot on. Brass sound great and huge. Percussion writing is much improved and they have some great percussion GE moments. There was only one moment of ensemble tear that I noticed. Got three standing Os, as much as Cavies. They need to keep up the energy and clean the drill, clean the drill, clean the drill. Like with Cavies, this is mass appeal with creativity and already some great execution. If the members keep selling the Spirit attitude and they clean up, no doubt a solid shot at a Saturday night performance. A show I want to see again asap.

Teal Sound has found an identity which is a great thing. The pseudo rock thing is unique to drum corps and the sounds from the rock guys in the pit are distinctive. With that said, they are performing a little better than last year at this time in my opinion, but not a lot. Fairly solid in all captions but not great. I guess the theme will develop overt time and the sins thing will be more evident. I wish them the best and respect that they are sticking to their brand of drum corps.

Music City has done a lot over the past three years to get the corps up and running. The sound and size improvements were evident tonight. The drill with music of the closer was good. Of course they need time to get the whole show on the field.

- Teal--- looked like about 64 member hornline. No shakos (because it was a little windy?)--- guard in t-shirts/shorts. Not really much I can remember from the show... I'm a realist and I'm afraid this ones going to be performed last on Thursday night of finals week-- could be wrong

I may be a little biased, but Teal done on Thursday? When the top 25 are going on to Friday? Really? I don't think so. We will be on Friday, and much higher than you, and a lot of other people, think.

We are using an electic bass. The violin is a Yamaha electronic violin. It is not a miced violin, but is a direct line-in electronic instrument. It makes little to no sound unless plugged into the system (And Ian is an EXCELLENT player!) The EWI (Electronic Wind Instrument) is used to simulate a middle-eastern flute in Gluttony.

Once the guard gets their uniforms, hats and plumes (still being fitted), the last 2 minutes is finished, and they start putting in all the extra touches, the show theme will become much clearer. This is a much more talented corps than in the past, and we will not give up this chance to do something really great. Watch out as the season progresses.

Go Teal! NEM!

Edited by Steve Knob
  • Like 1

If you're a corps who does well in caption A, and caption A judge is absent it will have an effect.

This is why any show's scores with only a 5 judge panel isn't worth spit.

Guards make a HUGE difference in Corps...and their ultimate placements.

5 judge panels have no guard judge.... 'don't even have brass and visual execution judges. Its half a loaf of bread.... but at full price.

Its frankly a 50% half arse effort on the part of the DCI where the Corps that are performing are giving their 100%.

Edited by BRASSO

Money saving thing.

If it's a 50% off judging deal ( only 5 judges ), maybe DCI should have a 50% off ticket price deal too.

'Sounds fair to me. Make it a " money saving thing " all around. DCI and families who attend.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1