Why can't the Blue Devils get a 3 peat?

I assure you that all of the top DCI corps are equally "obsessed" with winning, it being a competitive activity and all.

It just appears that BD is more obsessed because they actually do win more often.

I couldn't disagree more. I can only speak for sure about back when I marched (but can't imagine this has changed as it's a big part of the corps' culture), but we were not obsessed with winning...even the years we won. It was nice, sure...but it was never the point of my summer. It was never the focus of rehearsals, in fact we were specifically taught to not measure ourselves against other groups, but to focus on what we could do to be excellent in our show.

First of all let me preface by saying...

BLUE DEVILS CAN WIN THIS YEAR!

Now let me tell you why they won't. As long as scoring is in the hands of human beings, the underdog will always get the benefit of the doubt unless the favorite is JUST THAT MUCH BETTER that it leaves them no choice.

The bad news for Blue Devils is that in 3 shows so far in this early part of the season, they've been beaten by 3 different corps. That's a chink in the armour. Does that mean that they won't be better than any of them in a week or 2? No, but it puts enough "doubt" into everyone's minds that makes it possible for a judge to say....you know what..."Corps B" really deserves it over BD"

The Blue Devils are their own worst enemy. To repeat, they must be SOOOO much better than their competition that it leaves the judges no choice.....otherwise, nobody wants to see one corps dominate....not even judges who are DCI fans first.

<....the previous statement was completely pulled from my ###> :-P CHEERS

I couldn't disagree more. I can only speak for sure about back when I marched (but can't imagine this has changed as it's a big part of the corps' culture), but we were not obsessed with winning...even the years we won. It was nice, sure...but it was never the point of my summer. It was never the focus of rehearsals, in fact we were specifically taught to not measure ourselves against other groups, but to focus on what we could do to be excellent in our show.

And the Blue Devils, hard as it is to believe, are no different.

• Like 2

Just curious, when was the last time the Blue Devils were considered a "fan favorite"? Was there ever a time when general fans HOPED that they won? Perhaps when they first started winning?

And yes, this is a serious question.

And the Blue Devils, hard as it is to believe, are no different.

I never said BD was obsessed with winning. I was merely replying to your post that all corps are as obsessed with winning as BD.

It didn't seem that you were saying that none of the top corps were obsessed with winning, but that they all are. I have no idea what BD's internal culture is these days. But I do know that the Cadets organization does not focus on winning; instead they are taught to focus on what the members can actually do something about...their performance.

Edited by CuriousMe
  • Like 1

The Blue Devils have had back to back championships more than any other group in the activity. Why can't they get three in a row? I believe that the corps culture which is a total focus on winning the next championship puts too much pressure on the membership and is the reason why they can't get that third in a row.

15?!?

So Ashy!

You've obviously never been a Blue Devil....winning's not the only thing on the minds.

The focus has and always will be being the absolute best you can be every minute you're on a field or in the arc...to seek perfection in everything you DO on that field...and all the winning (rings, captions, etc) are a natural result of that.

I never felt the sort of pressure you claim I did...not from the staff...and the pressure I felt from the other members was to own up to my mistakes (pushups after a set, tinging the bell of the horn, etc) and correct them. It was actually a very laid back atmosphere the vast majority of the time.

Of course, what do I know? I'm only an alum of the corps....

• Like 2

We also shouldn't count out that they'll pull an '02 on us and come out the gate with a highly revamped show sometime midseason.

But I'm probably guilty of wishful thinking...

Just curious, when was the last time the Blue Devils were considered a "fan favorite"? Was there ever a time when general fans HOPED that they won? Perhaps when they first started winning?

And yes, this is a serious question.

I remember a lot of DCI fans from all walks being behind their 2000 and 1998 shows, but the last BD "fan favorite" show that actually won... 1997 or 1994. Both were great, popular shows.

• Like 1