Why the TOC corps MAY be hard to catch...

This is all pure speculation as we're way too early to tell, but I wonder if the incentive for the TOC corps to come out strong given they were all going to compete at the same first show of the season will set them apart from the beginning and make them hard to catch. It's been mentioned numerous times that the TOC corps (by and large) were more prepared with higher quality performances out of the gate than what we've seen in years past. Does the extra incentive carry through the season or do I have too many marigold seeds in my oatmeal?

We will know more after Boston meets up with Bluecoats tonight and Madison compete against the Blue Stars tomorrow. The Blue Knights were well back of the TOC corps last night.

• Like 1

...to a point I agree, BUT....

1. Right now the Madison Scouts is within 1.5 of Crown, Blue Stars, SCV and Bluecoats. If that scoring turns into a trend, there might be some serious competition there.

2. Has any of the TOC corps already put all their cards on the table, so to speak, and will just work on cleaning the show the rest of this season? There WAS a lot of pressure to come out strong and competitive. Has any corps just laid it all out there ALREADY?

I think its almost certain that the current top 3 (or maybe 4 depending on how Phantom progresses) have a lock on the 2011 championship. At least there looks to be some competition for the top spot this year! But the 5th thru 9th or 10th might really be a battle too!

Will all the current TOC corps survive 2011 as 1 - 8? Maybe not if some of them don't find ways to put some new energy and twists to help their scoring.

....its too early to call this marathon, BUT I'm just saying.........

• Like 1

This is all pure speculation as we're way too early to tell, but I wonder if the incentive for the TOC corps to come out strong given they were all going to compete at the same first show of the season will set them apart from the beginning and make them hard to catch. It's been mentioned numerous times that the TOC corps (by and large) were more prepared with higher quality performances out of the gate than what we've seen in years past. Does the extra incentive carry through the season or do I have too many marigold seeds in my oatmeal?

From what I gather from other comments on here the Cavies were the only corps without a complete show (i.e. didn't march for the last 2 to 4 minutes (depending on what post is correct)but they won by 1.75 on night 2.

So maybe if someone else would have arced it up for the whole show they would have been considered more prepared.

From what I gather the Cavies were cleaner than the rest but it seems nothing has changed from before - you get rewarded for being less prepared.

• Like 2

From what I gather from other comments on here the Cavies were the only corps without a complete show (i.e. didn't march for the last 2 to 4 minutes (depending on what post is correct)but they won by 1.75 on night 2.

So maybe if someone else would have arced it up for the whole show they would have been considered more prepared.

From what I gather the Cavies were cleaner than the rest but it seems nothing has changed from before - you get rewarded for being less prepared.

REMEMBER!

Drum corps scoring does NOT take away for negative, or perceived negative, things like drops or 'incomplete' shows. IF the show just ended and the corps marched off 2 minutes early - maybe then there would be a deduction (similar to deducting for going significantly over time alloted).

The judges just ADD the items that a corps does do sucessfully. Skill sets that are part of the judging system are being sucessfully completed.

The Cavies, at this time, just seem to have more sucesses to add up.

Maybe, some day, we can go back to deducting for drops, a late flag manuver or a seemingly missing section of marching - but its not judged that way right now.

Disagree, Cavies had more drill on the field than almost anyone, with 225 sets on the field for opening night. They shouldn't be criticized because they have a harder visual program than everyone else .

...to a point I agree, BUT....

1. Right now the Madison Scouts is within 1.5 of Crown, Blue Stars, SCV and Bluecoats. If that scoring turns into a trend, there might be some serious competition there.

2. Has any of the TOC corps already put all their cards on the table, so to speak, and will just work on cleaning the show the rest of this season? There WAS a lot of pressure to come out strong and competitive. Has any corps just laid it all out there ALREADY?

I think its almost certain that the current top 3 (or maybe 4 depending on how Phantom progresses) have a lock on the 2011 championship. At least there looks to be some competition for the top spot this year! But the 5th thru 9th or 10th might really be a battle too!

Will all the current TOC corps survive 2011 as 1 - 8? Maybe not if some of them don't find ways to put some new energy and twists to help their scoring.

....its too early to call this marathon, BUT I'm just saying.........

We'll see, but that comparison just doesn't work. Yet.

Remember everyone: Scores are meaningless until corps see each other head to head.

• Like 2